Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Neel D's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

"gItham vanthathu" is from the film "Thaambathyam". It must be a Sivaji film from the 80s. Music is by Raghavendar, I think. It is a beautiful song. I so wish that MV had not sung it with that fake Sivaji voice. He should have sung in his original voice. But VJ's voice is absolutely sweet.

rAththiri pAttu has four singers - VJ, MV, KSC and GA.

sonnathu palikkuthu is a fun song and very original. Most of the songs from that film (Karai Kadantha Oruththi) were ignored, or banned, by AIR, except the SJ solo "Odaththula" which got some air time.

athO antha thenRal is one of my favorite songs. It sounds so much like an MGR song. The other song from the film is "yArum pAththathillE". It is a nice song too, but the lyrics should have been polished a little bit.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Neel..

MV, VJ - some not so popular ( but really good ) songs like "thenna mara thoppukulle" from Michael raj are also to be added ...

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

VJ-MVD

Neel D -

MVD singing in "Sivaji" mode was indeed artificial most of the time.
    This line from Poongaatru Thirumbumaa... "Enna Solluvaen En Ullam Thaangala, Meththa Vaanginaen Thookaththa Vaangala..." For me, this was the fun side of parody! That said, I think MM was perhaps the only film in which the "Siboom" worked a bit better than the rest.

Yaarum Paarththadhile Naan Vayasu Vandha Pullae...That's the song! Your memory is too good!!

Was "Hey Pachchakkili, Ishtapadi Vachchukkadi Indha Maamane..."
    by VJ-MVD? I think it was from Anna Nagar Muthal Theru...
    And: "Irukannil Meenaatchiyo, Idhazh Konjum Thaenaatchiyo" from Aemaatraathae Aemaaraathae...? Both CB tunes?

Don't talk to me about Odaththule Thanneeru...A bonafide drip! Really!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Madhu,

thennamara thOppukkuLLa is a good song. But I skipped it because I thought that it was one of those regular scores from Chandrabose. Same reason I skipped "hEy pachchakkiLi" for.

Naaz,

I like pUngkARRu thirumbumA. I think MV's voice is fine in that one. But gItam vanthathu is so stiff.

I should add "iru kaNNil mInAtchiyO" to my list. It is a very good song. It also sounds like an MGR-song.

Odaththula thaNNIru is over-sad but it is a good tune. I haven't listened to "pachchamala pakkaththula kuRaththi" from the same film in many years. I believe that is by VJ & MV too.

Just remembered another good song by VJ & MV. "pani thenRal kARRE vA" from Oomai Kanavu Kandaal.

Post Thanks / Like

Iru Kannil...

Neel D -

The interview from webulagam is comprehensive.

"Open throated practice everyday is a must."

No evidence of this in the crop of the last decade. Long live auto-tuner!!

"Perfect sruti alignment is one of the essential requisites of good music but when Vani strikes a note, it is much beyond that. The note touches your heart, penetrates into you, chokes you with emotion and very often makes you weep out of sheer ecstasy."

That's VJ for you!

----------------------------

My pick from MM will be: Hey Kuruvi Chittukkuruvi....simply lovely.

I have not heard "Pani Thendral Kaatre Vaa..." But this took me to another rare VJ-MVD duet: Kaatre Sellu Oru Kaadhal Thoodhu, Ival Aengum Maadhu..." from Pozhudhu Vidinjaachchu (IR)
    And another: "Paayum Puli Padhunguvadhaen..." from Kuvaa Kuvaa Vaaththukkal (IR)

When I called Odaththule a 'drip' , I was referring to the smothering sogam in the song. Bluezies are.... Joooteeez for me! :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

That was a good interview.

Is "kARRE sellu" by IR? or GA? It is a superb song. Very smooth. It does have all of IR's elements. Don't know why it did not become popular. May be because the film flopped.

Never heard "pAyum puli pathungguvathEn".

Post Thanks / Like

VJ Interview

Neel D -

Does WebUlagam have a publication in print? Or is it exclusively web focused? I have not visited that site before. It was nice to see another doyenne, Vyjayanthimala Bali, on the stage with VJ in that photo.

Kaatre Sellu was by IR. PV was the final instalment of director GA's "Avian" Trilogy:
    Kozhi. Kokkarakko. Pozhudhu.

Now I am not sure if Payum Puli was in KKV or by VJ. SJ, perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

Don't know much about webulagam. But Mudhra organization has a publication in pirnt called "Samudhra", a monthly I think. The interviewer Radha Bhasker is a founder of Mudhra. If you are looking for a print edition of the interview it will be in Samudhra.

kARRE sellu keeps playing in my head. What a lovely song that is. Wish we could recreate those times, those songs, those voices.

Post Thanks / Like

Kaatrae Sellu

Neel D -

It is the lilt of the song which wraps your body and ties your heart with happy ribbons of colour...Vintage IR stuff! I remember listening to this song on the late-night "sponsor-slot" radio programmes hosted by a woman called "Prabhu"...It seems like another lifetime, it was so long ago. But the moment I heard this particular song, it grabbed me - and has stayed with me ever since.

"Wish we could recreate those times, those songs, those voices."

Don't we do so everytime we listen to them? Not with a sense of loss and longing, but with a sensation of being reborn and retouched by memories made anew? I've learned to count my blessings!

Page 41 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast