Page 40 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Neel D's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

I don't have a subscription for Vikatan. I believe it is about the award VJ is receiving tomorrow. Please check this link.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/11/17/stor...1716190200.htm

Congratulations to VJ !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mudhra Award

Neel D -

WOW! Another award within a span of a month? That's simply fantastic! The Meera Puraskaar,... and now Mudhra Felicitation!
    Jai Vani!
    Thanks for posting the link to this news story.
    Vikatan is a subscriber site? Hmm...guess I won't be reading any articles there!

Post Thanks / Like

For the Love of Amaraavathi...Juliet...Laila

Neel D -

Thaambathyam Oru Sangeetham had the lovely "Naan Thaiyum Aanavan..." solo by PJC. But the fun and inventive track from this film was "I love you...Amaraavathi" by VJ-MVD. I believe MSV scored the film, and this particular duet has three segments depicting "immortal" lovers: It starts off with Amaraavathi/Ambikaapathi, set in the semi-classical Karnatak style (a la Sugaraagamae by the same pair); the mid section takes an urban and flighty turn as the song celebrates Juliet and Romeo (and VJs english!); and, finally, there is the dust and lust of desert love - Laila and Majnu! The essence of MSV permeates the whole track.
    I watched this film when it was released....I can see how it must have been filmed (with zero memory of how it really was filmed!)...but how do I shake the mug of Mohan from the imagined visuals...Toughie! :P

Banned Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz/Neeld

The vikatan article 'season chips' says:

'malligai en mannan mayangumnu' paadina vani jairam kacheri..
    22nd thedhi auditoriume nirambi vazhinjudhu. kaNNai uruthaadha light pink saree, izhuthu porthina pudavai thalaippu,kazhuthile konjam ganamaa thanga changilli.

pakka vadhiyamellaam konjam vidhyasama irundhadhu. bakthi padalgala eduthu vani paadinaar. nalla pitch urukki eduthu veLLi kambi maathiri.

thamizh mattum illaame telugu hindi kannadam malayalam songsaiyum paadinaar. idhule 3 thamizh pattu avare iyatriyadhaam.

vaani kural inimai pathi naan solli neenga therinjakkanumnnu avasiyamillai aanaalum thyagaiyaar, muthuswamy deekshithar pondroro niraiya devotional songs iyatriyirkaanga. sondha paadalgaLai thavira matradhugaLai konjam therinja paadalgaLa paadirkalaam

'muzhukka muzhakka pazhase edhukkungraar?' ennavar

'enge pogirai', 'geetham sangeetham' paadalgaL soga rasathai pizhinjadhu. adhule oru vari 'odum vandi odum varai oda vidu' idhai kettu 'kaN munnaale oru mattu vandi iruttile hurricane viLakku thaLLadi vara madhiri oru scene vandhadhudi kaamu' appadingraar ivar.

Banned Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a related note. Last weekend my nephew shashank attended a workshop on ramakrishna paramahamsar. The workshop was conducted by VJ. She trained him and few other students on 3 songs (her own creation). My nephew mentioned she sang in a very high shruthi.
    Seeing the children struggling to sing in her shruthi, she brought down her scale. My nephew can read tamizh but cannot write the language. Seeing him writing the lyrics in english, she urged him to learn the language soon and gaven an autograph for him in tamizh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

"I love you amarAvati" is a really good song. Wonderfully sung by VJ and MV. Though the pair sang many kuththu songs that were run-of-the-mill compositions, once in a while they got to sing some beautiful tunes such as these.

I love you amarAvati
    sugarAgamE
    sugam sugamE hEy
    kAthal sorggam angganggE
    muththam ennum nAval
    enggE nAn kANbEn
    inRu kARRukkum malarukkum
    athO antha thenRal
    alanggAram abishEgam
    O mEgamE manamOhamE
    malligai pUvukku kalyANam
    eNNi irunthathu IdERa
    vachchALAm neththippottu
    pattula sElai
    nAkkula mUkkula
    manmathanthAn
    Atti vechchA
    thondaravu seyyAthE
    iravum pagalum enakku
    oru kAthal enpathu

Nice to see that the tunes came from all leading composers - MSV, S-G and IR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ramki,

Thanks so much for posting the article. VJ sang couple of her own compositions in NY last summer. One of those is gItam illAmal sanggItam illai. It is a really beautiful song. She also sings a Hindi version of the same song. VJ mentioned that she wrote those songs based on her life experiences. The songs are more philosophical and spiritual than devotional.

I am glad your nephew got to learn from VJ. It must have been an informative and entertaining experience.

Post Thanks / Like

VJ Vikatan etc.

Ramki -

Thank you for making the time to transcribe the whole piece for us! It is good to know that VJ is conducting workshops (lucky nephew you have!), and promoting Indian culture through music. That is a noble cause. It is something every Indian (no matter where they make their home now) ought to practice.

Neel D -

That's a fine list! I think Sugam Sugam Hey is one of IRs evergreen compositions. It is even more precious because it is one among his early hits (along with his songs from Dharma Yuththam, Sigappu Rojjaakkal, Achchaani, Aval Appadiththaan, Ilamai Oonjalaadugiradhu, Azhagae...) Whenever I listen to this duet I immediately think of "Hum Dono Do Premee..." from Ajnabee.
    Vachchaalaam is a song with a frenetic pace and has a captivating rusticity about it. I am also partial to Indru Kaatrukkum Malarukkum Kalyaanamaam. " The other song that I like for its vibrancy is :
    "Poovum Malaranthirukku, Kaayum Kanindhirukku, Ponnae Innum Enna Thayakkam..." The way VJ sings "Avasarappadalaamaa..." Nice!

Here's another rare one for you:

This one has the S-G ticks: Moving from Sandhanappunnagai to Alangaaram Abishekam to Enai Thaedum Maegam...:

"Mangalla Kungumam, Mangaiyin Ponmugam, Mannavan Maarbinil Sangamamaagum Naalae...Thirunaalae..." VJ-SPB

This is a really nice tune, if you can tune out the interludes drumbarums!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear all,
    One more song from T.RAjendar,

I don't know the film name. The song is,
    "Nalamo ena naan ketpen" goes like that.Its by VJ i think.

With Love,
    Usha Sankar.

Post Thanks / Like

Thondaravu...Thodarum!

Neel D -

I had forgotten all about "Thondaravu Seiyaathae"! IRs use of the chorus in this song is inspired! And it took me on to another tune not included in your list:
    "Geetham Vandhadhu, Sangeetham Vandhadhu, Sruthiyodu Layam Saerndhadhu..." I can't recall any details about this song
    And what about Sonnadhu Palikkudhu Paaru...an all-out rustic romp!
    Adho Andha Thendral....This is from Poi Saatchi? There was another brisk number in this film...which one?
    Did " Raaththiri Paattu Vara...Pakkaththile Vaa" feature VJ-MVD? or was it GA?

-------------------

Usha Sankar -

The song you mention is among the most challenging compositions by TR. Perhaps the only creation by TR with such a daunting octave/pitch.
    Brilliant all over. Thanks for mentioning this phenomenal track! The film is Nenjil Oru Raagam (Saritha, Thiyagarajan and Shankar?)

Page 40 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast