Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Naaz (@ 203.*) on: Sun Nov 28 18:12:09 EST 2004

Kaumudi -

The meeting with VJ was memorable and overwhelming! Have recorded the conversation - about 70-75 mins in all (and your question made it - VJ introduced the topic!) Will keep you posted on the broadcast date.
    Thanks for remembering - and asking!

(Am posting this from between "here and there". More when I am back to that familiar "stability" called "home"!)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Kaumudi (@ 136.*) on: Sun Nov 28 19:29:00 EST 2004

Naaz
    Now I can't wait to listen to that conversation. Come "home" soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Naaz (@ 24.8*) on: Sat Dec 4 08:45:04 EST 2004

Neel D -

The new files at the website always surprise: Thanks for Kannil Vandhaai, Manmadha Raagangale, Devan Koyilmani, Vellikkizhamai...Your perseverence (in digging up these precious fossils) never ceases to amaze. Keep them coming!

Kaumudi -

I have not been able to check the recordings yet. But they made it home with me - safely. Hang in there, I'll get my act together soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Vanifan (@ 67.7*) on: Sat Dec 4 10:23:50 EST 2004

Have any listened to the Visvathulasi songs yet?? I heard Vani is singing in this movie.

Post Thanks / Like

Neel D (@ 24.9*) on: Sat Dec 4 12:21:54 EST 2004

Naaz,
    Welcome back. Looking forward to the interview. If time, geography and other factors did not limit me I will be able to dig out many more songs. Also special thanks to Saravanan, sk, manoharan, Venkat Raman and others for their valuable contributions.

Post Thanks / Like

Naaz (@ 24.8*) on: Sun Dec 5 10:56:51 EST 2004

Neel D -

I wouldn't call it an interview, more of a conversation with musical departures and digressions. VJ was in her element.

It was the last day of my stay in Chennai, and I was in the grips of that familiar "last-minute" paranoia. My random (interview) notes were brief and scattered and I was not terribly prepared. But - call it the intuitiveness of VJ - the recording was smooth, and the conversation charted it's own revelatory course. I've tried to make it something of an abstract exercise - free-flowing and without the usual formal cliches. As an experiment, the opening of the conversation is done differently, in the form of a musical quiz!! VJ was taken by the suggestion, and gave it all she had.
    I could only manage an English recording (there was hardly any time left for a Tamizh fascimile) - but it is top-notch VJ, eloquently forthcoming.

Perhaps we could talk about getting it to the website sometime in the new year (after it airs on some north american non-commercial radios?) Can you think of other avenues? Please let me know.

Vanifan -

VJ has sung for Viswathulasi. However, her songs/verses are not included in the audio/CD.

Post Thanks / Like

Neel D (@ 24.9*) on: Mon Dec 6 09:26:43 EST 2004

Post Thanks / Like

manisha (@ 202.*) on: Tue Dec 7 03:55:34 EST 2004

HI friends if you wanna
    Largest Collection of Free Ringtones Latest Hindi Songs Latest Commercials English Songs
    Free Polyphonic Tones
    Latest Hindi Songs
    Latest English Songs
    latest Remix and Pop Songs
    Latest Video Songs
    Free SMS
    Just Visit http://www.masti4india.com

Post Thanks / Like

Neel D (@ ) on: Wed Dec 15 00:55:25 EST 2004

She is in love. She is happy. What is so special in the air today? What is so special about that scent in the air today? It is the youth that just arrived, the solitude, and the sweetness of it all.

inRu varum kARRinilE enna visEsham - athu
    Enthi varum vAsanaiyil enna visEsham
    iLamai puthumai thanimai inimai

Will her love survive the difficulties? She is full of doubts and questions. She sees beauty and happiness in everything, but she questions it all. This happiness does come with pain and doubts.

vaNNamazai mEgaththilE Oviyam uNdO - athu
    manathil uLLa Oviyaththai varaivathum uNdO
    anna nadai pOduthammA ARRu veLLamE - EthO
    Asai vali pattathamma nathiyin uLLamE

She is in love with a man from another caste. The lyricist says it with absolute poetic beauty - An "aal" is longing to marry an "arasu".
    He goes furhter and equates the appearance of the "aal" to her state of mind. The "aal" with her ungroomed hair waits there in despair.

Alamaram thalai viriththu niRpathum enna - oru
    arasanukku mAlaiyida thudippathum enna

There is love and romance everywhere. The sparrows are in love. The rooster is romancing the hen. The cuckoos are singing in joy. The peacock and peahen are making love. There are no divisions among them. The lotus is looking up at the sky for her lover. The sun, her lover, comes and embraces her. Does the sun have a caste?

thAmaraippU vAnathtaiyE pArppathum enna - athai
    thazuva vantha sUriyanin jAthithAn enna

Is there a language for the words in one's heart? Or is there a device to capture the images in one's mind? Do eyes have boundaries? Do all women have a shrine in their hearts? Are there bonds that do not care abouts divisions? Who knows which heart connects with which heart? I am the query and I am the answer.

nenjil uLLa vArththaikkellAm bAshaigaL uNdO - antha
    ninaivugaLai padam pidikka karuviyum uNdO

Such brilliant lines of poetry, a smoothly flowing composition, lovely veena, flute, violin and tabla. And above all the voice that brings everything together and carries the whole song on its expressive shoulders. VJ's trademark stresses at the right places, and the right expressions at the right words bring the listener one with the song. This is a song I came to know only a few months ago, but was released more than two decades ago. Thanks to sk for this lovely song that I listen to everyday and have memorized fully. If someone said that this song was composed by MSV, I would have believed it. Or if someone said that it was by IR, I would have believed it too. I hear both of them in the composition. But VJ said that this was by R.Govardhanam... and I believe her. Lyricist unknown. Another beautiful song from the same movie (Kadavulin Theerppu) is "anbu thalaivan kAladi chuvattil", a VJ-TMS duet.

Post Thanks / Like

Naaz (@ 24.8*) on: Thu Dec 16 07:52:57 EST 2004

Neel D -

A fine selection, and an equally confident reading. Thanks for highlighting this less(er) heard solo. I've always liked it (may be the only other person who remembers it too!) and your commentary was an able guide to an encore. Did Kadavulin Theerppu
    spell exile for R. Govardhanam?

PS: Is it jairam'ji for Saravanan's chronology? Has been a long wait, yeah?

Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast