Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Linkso Linksu!

Neel D -

Bonanza! Thanks for the links!

Nice to rediscover Kaatru Nadanthadhu Mella Mella. There is some OP Nayyar happening in there somewhere!

Yaenamma Sivanthadhu - still holds all the cheerfulness, so many years later. A good companion to this one (also from the 80s S-G) would be Vayasu Ponnu Thaniyae Ninnu from Nenjamellaam Neeyae.

Kanngal Sonnadhu - a nice duet. MSV? Is the male singer RKB?

More after I've heard the rest!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Neel D's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

I visited raaga after a long time. And I was thrilled to find these rarities. Yes, I think kaNgaL sonnathu male voice belongs to Rajkumar Bharati.

Here are some more songs:
    kAthalikka kaththukka
    kalyANa panthalilE
    Uththungga suthi

http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0001046.html

Post Thanks / Like

O Manju

Neel D -

Those horizontal links sent me spiralling into a world of snatched memories (how deceptive, indeed!).

Chinna Chinna Veedu Katti...Periya Periya Bejaar Padam!
    Kelleys Uma Talkies-il Oru (godawful) matinee show-la suththamaa nondhuppona ninaivu. Priceless!

Naagam...Guess it was Chandrashekar's turn to try on the green-ochre contacts?

Rathi in Karumaiyil Oar Azhagu...Dumb.Irony.Dead.Box-Office.

Talking of laughsquirmrunout B graders, I've been caught up in this song from O Manju:

Avanum Avalum Manathum Manathum

A high octane composition by MSV, sung with characteristic gusto and relish by VJ. The lyrics dole out a generous helping of english phrases..."The Beauty and The Beast", she exclaims at one point! Very "Suryakaanthi" JJish! :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

"avanum avaLum" is indeed a high-octane song. MSV rocks. By an average singer, it would have come out as a plain song or like rap. One or the other. But VJ combines both, bringing forth a burst of energy without compromising musicality.

Was "avanum avaLum" banned on All India Radio? The lyrics are a bit "mature". The veenai bit is wonderful. Innovative use of veenai thirty years ago by MSV. But they made a big deal recently when veenai was used in some striptease song. Also I believe Manoj-Gyan used veenai creatively in 'rAththiri nEraththu pUjaiyil".

Post Thanks / Like

Avanum Avalum

Neel D -

The symmetry of the veena opening and ending in "Avanum Avalum" is MSVs mastery. The use of the veena (given all the mythological baggage that goes with it) in what is a "risque" narrative, is a counterpoint that merges the holy and the lascivious, beautifully.
    The slide into a qu'wwali rhythm in the charanams is also done with measured grace. Given the "naughtynaughty" interjections in english, I don't think this solo would have endeared itself to AIR. The song goes places that even Oaram Po and Vaangonaa didn't. Definitely not for those who like their faint-hearts and quaint thoughts.

"But they made a big deal recently....striptease song." Can you help me with more details?
    ---------------
    "Malarmanjangal Magarandhangal Ilam Muththangal Idum Saththangal..." was this VJ/DC or VJ/SNS ? A nice tune by SG. Padam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

I remember the hoopla about that striptease number. But not the film or the song. If I come across it I will let you know.

"malar manjanggaL" is from the film Saatchi. The male voice belongs to SNS. I think it is a SAC film with Vijaykant.

Post Thanks / Like

This Song

Neel D -

Malarmanjangal has the spot-on SG signatures, but the melody is quite catchy. My favourite among the duets by this duo is "Mazhaiyae En Meedhu Thoovaadhae"

Here's another rare one for you:
    "Mounam Kalaiyaadho Swaami" Another semi-classical piece by VJ in the 80s? Fast-paced and dizzying, but with all the clarity and grandeur of VJs skills. It might be a CB composition, but can't say for certain.
    I hope to someday find a file of "Thaaiyaaki Vachcha En Thangamae..."
    This song seems to have become a quest, and it haunts me even more now that Sri Vidya is gone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

VJ and SNS sang many duets in the 80s that were never/rarely aired. Most of them were probably by S-G and they did not get the media promotion or industry hype like the albums by IR, TR and M-G got in the 80s.

"mounam kalaiyAthO svAmi" is an amazing song. I believe it is by KVM. But I am not sure. The song is too classical to be Chandrabose.

Post Thanks / Like

Do Read and Tell

Neel D -

Please click on the link:

http://www.vikatan.com/

My font problem raises its ugly head....May I request a gist of the piece on VJ in this current issue? Thanks!

Page 39 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast