Page 37 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Temple City : Madurai / Capital city : New Delhi
    Post Thanks / Like
    In star vijay TV interview, VJ showed the drawing made by her of vasant desai and pattachitra paintings etc made by her . Regarding her short lived Hindi career she said, "when I went for a function alongwith Vasant desai, Y.B.Chavan said - engal arasiyalil sangeetham iruppathu illai, aanaal ungal sangethathil En ivvalavu arasiyal irukkirathu endru " . she said the trend still goes on. naan ithai ninaiththu pala naatkal azhuthathundu. appothu vasant desai sonnathu - "nee idhu pol pirarkku seiya koodathu" endru. she is now writing a lot of kavithaigal and atharkku isai amaiththu kondum irukkiraar. she described one of her kavithai thookkaththai patri.

she said she is never an introvert.

indraiya isai amaippalar patri ketta questionkku -" I dont have anything against them, but bombayil irunthu vanthu padagargal padattum, aanaal thamizh kolai en seigiraargal, idhu pol ingae irunthu angae sendru paadinaal oththu kolvaargala"
    yvs mani

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    VJ diplomatically skirted the "sindu mudiyum " question whether IR or MSV

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Temple City : Madurai / Capital city : New Delhi
    Post Thanks / Like
    thumburu :
    neenga paarththeenga pole irukkae.
    "I worked more with MSV " was a nice reply
    yvs mani

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Neel D's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a summary of VJ's concerts at the FETNA convention in Manhattan last weekend. On the first day of the convention VJ performed a 45-minute devotional songs concert which had songs on Meenakshi, Perumaal and Murugan. She sang a wonderful song "gItham illAmal" written and composed by VJ herself. It was a beautiful and difficult composition. VJ simply had the crowd mesmerized. The final song of the concert was another difficult song on Murugan.

Second day of the convention's grand finale was a dance and music programme. Following the dances by film and TV artistes, the film music concert began quite late at night at 10:45pm. It was supposed to be from 9pm to midnight. VJ was invited to the stage and felicitated first. Then the concert started with a prayer song followed by "pAdavA un pAdalai" by Anita Krishnan. It was followed by Malligai En Mannan by VJ. You couldn't tell if it was 2006 or 1974. Such youthfulness in her voice. I was holding my cellphone up so friends in India could listen to the song. Followed by Malligai, VJ sang a string of wonderful solos "nAdhamenum kovililE", "mEgamE mEgamE", "yArathu sollAmal", and "nAnE nAnA". You should have been there to enjoy the sweetness and yearning in "yArathu". Brought tears to my eyes.

The audience tried its best to not applaud in the middle of a song. But the hummings and alapanais in "mEgamE mEgamE" simply had the audience applauding away in the middle of the song. The orchestra had only one night to rehearse for the concert and they were playing at varying tempos and missing the notes all through the concert. VJ had to conduct the orchestra with hand signals while singing at the same time.

VJ's solo songs were followed by songs by Harish Raghavendra, Mathangi, Anitha Krishnan and Michael Mervin and VJ's duets. Harish in his honey-soaked voice sang "niRpathuvE nadappathuvE", "chennai senthamiz" and "dEvadaiyai kaNdEn". I spoke to Harish earlier that afternoon for a little while. What a nice guy! Mathangi sang "appadi pArkkaRathunnA", "kaNNum kaNNum nOkkiyA", etc. She was hip and cool. Michael sang "Mannil Intha Kathal", "kaNNum kaNNum", etc. Anitha Krishnan did a beautiful rendition of "ovvoru pUkkaLumE".

VJ sang all her duets with Michael. The songs were "orE jIvan onRE uLLam", "andhamAnai pArunggaL", "kavithai kELunggaL", "orE nAL unai nAn". I wish VJ had sung a few duets with Harish. However, some wonderful VJ-HR duets were available at the convention. VJ also did a 2-minute humming of a Jazz number. The audience listened to it with pin-drop silence. The final song of the concert was "nI kEttAl nAn mAttEn". By that time it was 1:00am and the auditorium time was up and she had to finish it with just one charanam.

There was an audience request for "Ezhu svaranggaLukkuL" during the concert. The orchestra had not rehearsed the song. So VJ sang it with minimum accompaniment.

FETNA should have brought in at least an orchestra of four from India who are familiar with the songs and have rehearsed them. Or, the singers should have been brought in at least one week before the convention in order to have the time to rehearse. But the singers were brought in only one and a half days before the convention and had to rehearse with a local amateur orchestra in just one night and get ready for the performance. Never cut corners when it comes to the Grand Finale. All the songs from the 90s and after were performed with Karaoke CDs. Those songs did not require an orchestra. But, for her songs, VJ had to conduct the orchestra to save the evening.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neel D

Hey,
    Glad to hear that such a great artist was performing and you got to see it.

I too feel that these organizations should attempt to bring some members of a real orchestra. I attended a concert of Janaki/SPB/Chitra in Toronto recently. The orchestra was local, and they were not anywhere upto what I expected. And the singers had arrived only the evening before. SPB had to conduct them at intervals.

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vani Jairam in New York, New York

Neel D -

You are truly blessed to have witnessed two VJ concerts in two days! Thank you for sharing the highlights (which I read with great envy!) It comes as no surprise that the orchestral arrangements were lacking, and that the honoured artiste had to conduct the show herself. Many artistes/singers of calibre avoid these "jamborees" precisely for this reason - the complete lack of thought and professionalism shown by promoters in organising live music events. A singer like VJ can carry a show just on the strength and aura of her voice, and that must have been on full display - if only by default!
    Not that I am really eager to see it, but were the concerts recorded by Fetna or Tamil TV networks?

Post Thanks / Like
    aruvi & Naaz,

Experienced singers like VJ and SPB can guide the orchestra and save the concert. But what will the new singers do when they get stuck with an amateur orchestra? A lot of money is spent on some special(?) guests, which can be spent on bringing an orchestra.

Also, at 11:30 at night they announced that the concert will end at midnight. VJ was on stage at that time. She said, on stage, that they have worked hard for this concert and that all singers should get their opportunity. She asked Fetna to get an extension of time. Then they got an extension till 1am. But a lot of people in the audience were gone by midnight.

This was the first live concert of VJ I attended. It was a wonderful experience.

I am sure Fetna recorded the concert. May be in a few weeks you can contact them for a copy if they are selling it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!

Neel D / All -

Click on the link below:

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showNew...166&linkid=408

Post Thanks / Like
    Naaz,

I am sure it was a great concert. Wish you had posted the link before the concert.

Post Thanks / Like

VJ/NYC

Neel D -

Yeah, I should have - had I known about the event. I only got the link this morning!

I have a feeling that it would have been a "multilingual" concert, given that it is the Indian Consul in NYC. It would be good to see a review or summary of the event somewhere...Let us know if you (also) come across any such coverage please.

prem ananth -

It is really nice of you to post the lyrics of the songs. It brings the song alive in an entirely "literary" way - and reading the words makes for many new interpretations.

Page 37 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast