Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Vani Jayaram's songs

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Conversation with Vani Jairam

AV -

The respite was not yours alone. The 2 hrs in the studio vanished in a flutter of swaras and ditties. It was the quietest time I had had all week! I was so caught up in getting the segments right, that I had not listened to VJs words. When I was playing them on air, they really affected me. Such brilliance, and such erudition is truly rare.
    The full version of the conversation has a few other such moments - the Oriya piece in the concluding bit is all-out masterful where VJ delienates the aadhara shruti and talks about swarabedham. And the song she chooses to end the conversation... Genius!
    It would be great if you can get your hands on the VJs songs for JA / & Usha Mangeshkar - and share it with us.

Balaji -
    Thanks you for your kind words. It was great to meet VJ after nearly a decade. She is a class-act all the way.
    VJ songs (solos esp.) for IR ,even if fewer in number, have been stellar (incl. the telugu ones!)
    I recommend her Magizhampoo Maalaiyile, wholeheartedly. Finesse, reborn.

PS: Are you thinking of Pudavai Kattikkondu Poo Ondru Aadudhu?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Neel D -

Missed you by a minute this time

Post Thanks / Like
    Balaji -

It just struck me that the Pudavai duet was picturised on Saritha/Sivaji (KVM) - I don't recall the name of the film. The song from Viswaroopam might be "Rajaathi Rajanukku Rani Mele Kadhaladi"?
    It is a guess, and others here might be better informed.
    (Was Varththai Naanadi Kannamma also from the same film?)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It would be great if you can get your hands on the VJs songs for JA / & Usha Mangeshkar - and share it with us. "

Naaz,

This was news to me too. I did not know that JA had composed for a film! However, I shall try to hunt out an mp3 file of a recording of Vani Jairam with Kumar Gandharva, which was very popular, and still is quite a well-known song. The song is based on Raag Pahadi (methinks) and is from a Marathi play "Dev Deenaghari Dhaavala". Music is by Vasant Desai.

Neel,

I have decided to go through the website page by page again, and lay my hands on all the classical songs that I have missed .

Post Thanks / Like

Conversation with VJ

AV -

Sri Gananaatham is the essence of a VJ song (IMO) - immaculate, full of verve, and done with acumen and relish. You can feel the life of every syllable.
    Ramki had featured this song as an early Pick Of the Week selection.
    You might also want to check out Naadhamayame Jegamo for another breakneck speed semi-classical delivered with ease.

When I was under the tutelage of JA he would describe VJ as a "shandaar kalakaar." Unfortunately, my knowledge of VJs songs and classical music was really minimal at that time, and I couldn't ask him for examples. But now I know what he meant - and how right the man was!!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why Saravanan is not continuing his chronology of VJ???

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    kelviyum neeye badilum (therindavan) neeye

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pardon me for an off-topic post in this thread. But do log onto to MIO and listen to the songs of the new Hindi movie Taj Mahal, released last month. The music is by Naushad and the songs have been sung by Hariharan and Preeti Uttam. After many years, has a soundtrack emerged in Hindi films that reminds one of the quality of the music of yesteryears. Naushad has done a fabulous job. The music is awesome and so is Hariharan's singing, quite unlike what I heard in Veer Zaara (which has unreleased tunes of Madan Mohan).

I just thought that I'd post this non-VJ link here, because most people here enjoy classical and light-classical music.

Hopefully, Taj Mahal will inspire some of the great composers of yesteryears like Khayyam, Ravindra Jain, Ravi, etc. to come out and compose music for a film or two. Even further, it might inspire film composers of today to not totally forget the value of Indian traditional music.

Post Thanks / Like

Taj Mahal

AV -

Good prompts should not beg pardons
    I listened to the songs and found them to be compeling. The finest of the lot is Hariharan's Apni Zulfein. A swirl of dark chocolate and cherries. A song with great depth and sweep.
    Ajnabi Thehro Zara is also a good track, although Preeti Uttam feels like she is definitely overreaching here (a Sadhna Sargam would have taken this to heaven) and it shows. The Mumtaz Thuje Dekha ghazal would have been stellar if not for the Dilruba Dilruba wails (why???) conspicuous ( and cheaply so ) like limestones in a mahal of marble.

How does this compare with Veer Zaara? Let's not go there.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Neel D's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cinema Express

All,

Vaamanan is writing a series on Vani Jairam in Cinema Express. If the link I have provided does not work go to the website's homepage and click on saadhanaiyaalargal.

http://www.cinemaexpress.com/achivers/

Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast