Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is MOTHER TONGUE

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MazhaiKuruvi
    I understand the issue about being Tamil in Karnataka (it is mere neighbourhood rivalry)
    It's more than that. I'd say it's a parity complex - "Kannada is at least as ancient and great as Tamil" - which leads them to view any assertion that Tamil literature is older than Kannada literature as chauvinism, which leads them to be bitterly hostile to Tamil. If you don't mind running the risk of giving yourself an ulcer, take a look at the history of the "Tamil language" article on Wikipedia, or read the discussion page and see what comments various Kannadigas have made. It's only a small minority of Kannadigas who feel this way - but unfortunately, they're a very vocal minority.

Tamils aren't immune to chauvinism and there are plenty in our midst too, but we don't have anti-Kannada policies in TN at anywhere near the level they have about us in Karnataka.

but the same Tamil people when in Mumbai would prefer to converse in Hindi and identify themselves more with the North than the South and would come and preach Hindi to their relatives in the South. I have seen this many times.
    In my experience, it is the privileged classes who tend to do this. The poorer Tamils do not. So many examples from Mumbai come to mind - the Tamils who fought for years to have a Tamil-medium municipal secondary school in their area for their children, the Tamil teachers in Sitladevi who voluntarily work longer hours so that extra children can be accomodated in schools with limited capacity, the sheer vibrancy of Tamil-speaking chawls in the Matunga area (where "Maratha Murasu" is the newpaper of choice)... there are many more.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsath

Its said that when Alexandria was burning, all Cleopatra worried about was saving the library.

Did that library not have books in many languages. I think what Cleo was trying to protect was knowledge.

but we don't have anti-Kannada policies in TN at anywhere near the level they have about us in Karnataka
    I think we also don't have any area in Tamilnadu where the majority population is Kannadiga as in Cantonment area of Bangalore. Many in that area feel they should have been part of Tamilnadu. There's no Tamil hatred as you leave Bangalore and travel further into Karnatka. It is only in the Tamilnadu border areas. I have seen with my own eyes Tamilians in Blore who refuse to speak in Kannada even with Kannadigas.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by "MazhaiKuruvi

I understand the issue about being Tamil in Karnataka (it is mere neighbourhood rivalry), [b
    but the same Tamil people when in Mumbai would prefer to converse in Hindi and identify themselves more with the North than the South and would come and preach Hindi to their relatives in the South. I have seen this many times[/b].
    Look. Lets accept that Hindi is the most spoken language in India . Apart from widely being conversed across North India, even southern states have accepted the language.

If u r a bit decent in Hindi, u can pull on in Bangalore, Hyderabad, cochin etc

But its not the same in Chennai. The city continues to be far behind in understanding the need for knowing Hindi.

Why this animosity even now ?

So, there is nothing wrong if someone tries to preach or educate about HIndi. For our own better future & survival.

Lets accept hindi atleast now

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nakeeran,
    On a practical level, in schools we are taught 2 language subjects (Tamil and English). Now if we introduce another language, won't it be an additional burden to the children.
    On the other hand, if we replace English we would be reducing our competitive advantage in the world arena.
    If we choose to take Tamil out of the languages taught, then the onus is on parents to teach our children to read and write our mother tongue.
    Under the present circumstances, how do you suggest, that we learn Hindi?

As far as Hyderabad, Cochin and Bangalore goes, we can manage perfectly with English. In the interiors of non-Hindi speaking states, i don't think Hindi is very relevant.

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we also don't have any area in Tamilnadu where the majority population is Kannadiga as in Cantonment area of Bangalore.
    We do, actually, even if not in Chennai, and we also have areas with strong Telugu populations. But I'll say no more as I don't want this thread to lose focus.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Podalai,

eppadi irukeenga? pArthu, pEsi nALaachu Hope all is well with you
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakeeran
    If u r a bit decent in Hindi, u can pull on in Bangalore, Hyderabad, cochin etc

But its not the same in Chennai. The city continues to be far behind in understanding the need for knowing Hindi.

Why this animosity even now ?

So, there is nothing wrong if someone tries to preach or educate about HIndi. For our own better future & survival.

Lets accept hindi atleast now
    "far behind"????? What is far behind is the expectation that people in non-Hindi states should learn Hindi. There's absolutely no need to learn Hindi. It is Hindiwalas that need to learn the language of their destination. When in Rome be a Roman.

In your said cities of Cochin or Bangalore one can more easily get by with Tamil than with Hindi. So let's propose Tamil learning to everyone.

Rather than waste time learning Hindi, let's all learn English, the universal language and use it as the lingua franca.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently flew Kuala Lumpur Chennai on Indian airlines. The port of departure was malaysia - where Indian is synonymous with Tamil and where knowledge of Hindi is is absolutely absent and practically of no use. I was heading for Chennai in Tamilnadu.

Yet, the crew had the audacity to only make announcements in English and Hindi and offer 17 channels of only English and Hindi music.

While using the restroom, the pilot said something in Hindi to my sister, who replied, "I am Malaysian and I don't know Hindi." (If only Bharathiraja had been there!

That will be my last flight on any Indian airlines and will definitely discourage my friends too.

From now on its Malaysia Airlines for me, where announcements and music are made in Malay, English and Tamil.

Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why we shud learn Hindi.. no use.. Tamizh then English enough for Tamizhans in India.. enggala mathiri abroad-le irukiravanga antha national languange-a katukirathu romba mukiyam.. but again, Hindi is not India's nat language..

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no harm in learning a language, neither is there any harm in not learning it!

Every language is beautiful in its own way. Learn a language to communicate your ideas clearly not for fighting for it . This is my opinion

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast