Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is MOTHER TONGUE

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

How important is MOTHER TONGUE

Many guys show their fondness towards their mother tongue

Some use this as a political agenda

Some really love it

However, some also feel that language should be a medium to communicate . What U intend has to be communicated effectively . this is what that counts ultimately.

Then why there is so much affinity towards mother tongue ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    An inexplicable fondness/affection for something which is rightfully our own! Pride of possession!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    PP Mdm

No doubt about what you said

At times what happens in the process is prejudice towards other languages & one starts boycotting them blindly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

A nice topic to discuss...
    I take pride in Mother tongue Tamil and I appreciate in others who also take pride in their mother tongue.
    I feel mother tongue is the one that Binds people more than Religion, caste, race etc. I find bondage with a person and start to have a conversation with a person whom I find to be speaking Mother tongue than another person who looks like from the Sub continent but not necessarily of my language. I feel at home when I get to hear my mother tongue away from home...

For me Mozhi is the base for inam...
    You see China, there are lots of religions, cultures within it, but because of one Language - Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) they are all together. But many countries where there are more than one language there are always bound to be lots of issues e.g., Srilanka, Turkey, Spain etc.

Regarding your query that people take too much pride in their language and boycott other's languages.. My say in this is:

Language is more like one's Parents, Siblings, House, environment etc.. For everyone their parents, Siblings etc is always the best. We appreciate our stuff and take pride in that, we never expect other's to appreciate them - many a times we also know we don’t deserve any appreciation from others in regard to this.. I feel language also falls in the same fold and to be treated likewise. But the sad part is that people start talking ill/ start criticizing other languages without any thought as to what the other person will feel this is bad culture...

I will quote an Instance: I am a Tamil born and brought up in Bangalore. We Tamils in Bangalore have no disrespect for Kannada, we study them in schools for we have no other choice, but we never hate it.. But the local Kannadigas they take pride not in loving their Mother tongue, but in criticizing other languages especially Tamil, just like how some right wing political parties in India feel happy criticizing Pakistan for all and every reasons...

Srini

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakeeran

At times what happens in the process is prejudice towards other languages & one starts boycotting them blindly.
    Then what about imposing one's language on to another? If you are talking about 'boycotting' then better talk about 'imposing' as well. appathAn kaNakku sariyA varum.

PP mam had said it rightly for the LOVE and AFFECTION one has for the mother toungue. Thaai, Thaai Veedu, Thaai Naadu pOnRathuthAn thaai mozhiyum

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just another type of collective "I" ness. Nothing wrong with it so far as you don't trouble others with it. The problem comes when the attitude "Mine is better than yours" or "Mine is the best" comes into play.
    Here there is no 'I'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    Just another type of collective "I" ness. Nothing wrong with it so far as you don't trouble others with it. The problem comes when the attitude "Mine is better than yours" or "Mine is the best" comes into play.

Language is just a means of communication.

If you identify yourself by your language, then you get upset if someone talks ill of the language, that's all.

What is mother tongue itself is a big question. It is your first language, it is the language you are most comfortable with.

I understand the issue about being Tamil in Karnataka (it is mere neighbourhood rivalry), but the same Tamil people when in Mumbai would prefer to converse in Hindi and identify themselves more with the North than the South and would come and preach Hindi to their relatives in the South. I have seen this many times.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If language is just for communication, why then do we have poetry and literature. If Homer, Shakespeare and Kamban wanted to just say their stories, why not write them in simple language that lay people would understand. Why then complicate it by writing in a style that only some can enjoy.
    Its said that when Alexandria was burning, all Cleopatra worried about was saving the library.
    Language is just not that, it embeds a whole lot of other things. It’s a parameter to measure a society - It’s past and present. The richness of a culture (not material richness) is directly proportional to its language. In other words language is the essence of a culture. That is not to say that other factors do not contribute to a culture’s or society’s growth. There are other factors, but language is an important one.
    So it is natural that we associate our identity (including our culture) to our language. Take out a language, the culture will surely die. So when we are trying to protect our language, we are actually trying to protect our identity and culture and little wonder why one should be proud of it.
    Unfortunately like all things, language can be used a destructive tool in the wrong hands.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    An inexplicable fondness/affection for something which is rightfully our own! Pride of possession!
    I second PP maam

Really we take pride on our Mother tongue

But doesnt mean that we oppose the others blindly .... unless and until somebody tries to disturb urs
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dsath
    If language is just for communication, why then do we have poetry and literature. If Homer, Shakespeare and Kamban wanted to just say their stories, why not write them in simple language that lay people would understand. Why then complicate it by writing in a style that only some can enjoy.
    Its said that when Alexandria was burning, all Cleopatra worried about was saving the library.
    Language is just not that, it embeds a whole lot of other things. It’s a parameter to measure a society - It’s past and present. The richness of a culture (not material richness) is directly proportional to its language. In other words language is the essence of a culture. That is not to say that other factors do not contribute to a culture’s or society’s growth. There are other factors, but language is an important one.
    So it is natural that we associate our identity (including our culture) to our language. Take out a language, the culture will surely die. So when we are trying to protect our language, we are actually trying to protect our identity and culture and little wonder why one should be proud of it.
    Very well said. I agree with every word, and couldn't have put it better myself.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast