Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ARR's interview in Hindu .....-Intresting Point

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ARR's interview in Hindu .....-Intresting Point

Topic started by MumbaiRamki (@ 63.186.8.168) on Sun Dec 12 18:45:07 EST 2004.

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/12/13/stories/2004121300340100.htm

1.The 'Yuhi chaala ' song from swades was orginally composed for Lagaan .

2.Harris Jeyaraj worked with him only for 2 films !!

3.On today's music -
    "What is today's Tamil film music all about? They are nothing more than fast numbers or remix downloaded. What took me weeks to make music for a "Gentleman" or "Rangeela" can be done today if you have a computer, software and then pre-set the rhythms and you have a disco number! Fast music is no big deal today as anyone can become a music director"

4.Rajiv Menon film in tamizh .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Old responses

Post Thanks / Like

observer (@ 12.7*) on: Sat Dec 18 11:48:06 EST 2004

Vijay:

"Theres a difference. And yet you feel these are the MDs who are taking us thru a quest of space, timbre and what not. Amusing "

You didn't read a word of what I said, did you? Now THAT's amusing.

Post Thanks / Like

observer (@ 12.7*) on: Sat Dec 18 14:30:19 EST 2004

Shyam:

"Jus because i use a darbuka or a doumbek for a few seconds, doesnt make my song feel arabic/ middle eastern! "

Percussion instruments at this point retain no strong connection to their cultural origins, since rhythm travels so quickly and widely. However, melodic instruments like winds/strings continue to largely be used as signifiers of specific/exotic locale, barring a few like the sax, trumpet, flute and the violin that for historical reasons have gained international currency. The bagpipe to me still conveys a strong whiff of its roots, just as the didgeridoo does of the Australian outback as in DCH, or the kora would of its African association.

However if you're looking for stronger Irish doses in your fusions I wish you good luck on your journey.

Post Thanks / Like

observer (@ 12.7*) on: Sat Dec 18 14:54:09 EST 2004

Vijay:

"I agree some old-timers have that view. this is about a composer not able to spot a wrong note in his own composition. Theres a difference."

So the question is who spotted it for him? If it was SPB it's possible that he was applying older and more restrictive standards to newer compositional freedoms. If it was the composer in question himself who realised, or was apprised of, and acknowledged, his mistake, that should be allowed and overlooked. A mistake in pop, unlike classical, is not a criminal offence punishable by death. A series of such mistakes, unredeemed by any creativity whatsoever, will in any case soon remove the composer from the reckoning (AR Rehana anyone?). ARR and HJ have admitted to composing terrible songs on occasion, why shouldn't the young composer be allowed a similar sanction?

As you can see, right now we're doing little more than nitpicking each-other's statements of each-others statements of each-other's....Since our fundamental positions are clear and obvious to both of us and everyone else here, and we're not going to change those positions anytime soon, there is less juice left in this discussion than in sugarcane squeezed 50 times. If you want to keep contributing feel free to do so. I'll move onto other topics.

Post Thanks / Like

MusicIsLife (@ 68.3*) on: Sat Dec 18 17:30:54 EST 2004

ippo puriyuthu unga kailyula evalavu time irukkunu.. evalavu periya posts!!!

Dude
    the only thing, even though there was a monopoly MD, there was constant variety and he beat his own expectation!! that is my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Music4ever (@ 70.1*) on: Sun Dec 19 10:18:14 EST 2004

Anbesivam: I haven't heard that carnatic song well enough. IIRC, I recall listening to Maharajapuram Santhanam render it. However, if you say so, I am willing to believe it. I have heard enough numbers of ARR reminding one or other of old songs by MSV or IR, so it is not surprising.

Observer: I agree ARR has had a string of commercial failures since 2000, the likes of which he did not experience in the nineties. I also still believe, Ramki's list notwithstanding, that all the commercial successes (barring, arguably, Boys) since 2000 have been tied to the box office success of the movies themselves. The only conclusion that I am able to make is that the string of new MDs have indeed been able to mimic ARR successfully, so much so that ARR's music itself is not that hot anymore. It is reasonable to conclude that, true to the adage that all good (!) things must come to an end, ARR's reign of TFM ended by 2000. That by itself should not be a slur on ARR's capabilities; MSV and IR also experienced it. It is inevitable, this passing on of the baton (so to say).

Post Thanks / Like

vijay (@ 68.5*) on: Sun Dec 19 12:44:23 EST 2004

"You believe:
    1) Neither Rahman nor you care about the commercial outcome of his projects.
    2) His creativity is as its peak and far exceeds that of his competition.
    "

Observer, I never claimed 1 or 2 . Its just YOUR interpretation/inference/imagination. Rahman is not at his peak creatively. Where did I say that. I just feel that his good to bad stuff ratio is still significantly higher than his younger counterparts, commercial successes or failures notwithstanding. His creativity is now being put to use mostly in NON-IFM projects which I guess takes a lot out of him and for which he has set high priority.

Reg 1. Rahman of course cares, otherwise he wouldnt spent weeks composing for an album. Bbut a few misses in TFM shouldnt scare him to death as he has a better coverage market-wise. If a couple of TFM albums flop then Bombay Dreams or something else somewhere scores and so on. This is not 1995 where Rrahman is all TFM and nothing else.
    As far his comments on his competitors I dont think that he went out of way to criticize them or anything. Now that he has some stature he is probably being more forthright and less shy about his comments than he was, say 10 years back when he was still a newcomer and must have been careful, regarding commenting on others works. That shouldnt be mistaken for insecurity.

Anyways, we have been going around in circles and I surely think you will find something to nitpick in my post. So lets put this to rest and move on as you say.

Post Thanks / Like

MusicIsLife (@ 156.*) on: Sun Dec 19 16:33:06 EST 2004

"Now that he has some stature he is probably being more forthright and less shy about his comments than he was, say 10 years back when he was still a newcomer and must have been careful, regarding commenting on others works. That shouldnt be mistaken for insecurity."
    Vijay

I agree to this!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jaiganesh (@ 203.*) on: Sun Dec 19 22:01:56 EST 2004

Hi!

One small inference by me from some recent posts(I hope I am allowed to infer in this thread).
    1. ARR is very costly!
    2. his clones are cheap.
    3. Though ARR has slipped in commercial viability, he still has better output than his clones
    4. ARR success ratio is 60 to 80 %(60 claimed by observer, 80 claimed by Vijay & Co.)
    Assume ARR charges 1 crore and his clones charge 25 lacs (max). Hmm..
    Also Assume I am a producer, then If I am using ARR and he gives me the 40 - 20 % stuff then I incur a huge loss. Whereas if I use his clones and by chance if their music is received very well, then I go to the bank laughing! Add to all this,if I am a Tamil movie producer, I have to sign a stupid agreement with ARR that all his tunes are his properties and can't be resold by me, then all I get is the sale in TFM only. So the whole point of using ARR is negated. And this didn't happen because of any new situation, it is a self made situation by ARR. So to come out of this
    1. ARR should be more accessible to budget producers @ lesser cost. He can recover it in the remake/recycle of tune for Hindi movies.(by budget producers, I don't mean that he should score for V.Sekar movies)
    2. If same cost ratio is to be maintained, then give up recycle/reuse of tunes right to the producer (I guess in Baba this was done by Rajnikanth. Thats why Ashuthosh had to buy the rights of the song "Baba kichu tha").
    3. Consciously shift style and introduce variations to thwart his clones.
    4. Doing point #4, he would also give breathing space to his own assistants like Praveen Mani and Joshua Shridhar, so that they will not be subject to the simple criticsm that they sound so ARRish.

Thanks,
    Jaiganesh

ps: Yes I have a lot of time for this post! that does not mean that I am a dumbo and you are the Prez of some nation Mr.MusicIsLife

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast