Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I take to U.S

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anou, tks for the clari.! Howz the real Anou doing btw?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can I take to U.S

Quote Originally Posted by Kavitha Ravi
    Dear friends, I am going to U.S with my sis-in-laws children. They are going to stay with their mum there.
    I am from Malaysia. I would be very greatful if anyone can guide me as to what food stuffs I can take from here.
    My sis-in-law wants pineapple tarts, and garlic pickel.
    Are we allowed to take them. Please kindly help me.
    Thanks. Kavitha Ravi.
    Hi Dear Kavitha,

Only now I saw this thread... and am replying immediately.

Here I am at USA... (since several years)... available to guide you.

As Mr Raj..(who is also put up at USA)... has rightly said...

..Normally FOOD ITEMS are barred not only to be brought into USA... through Passengers Luggage...

...but also a PROHIBITIVE STUFF... for carrying in the Plane too... in view of any probable Virus infection...Epidemics etc.. due to likely contamination..

...which risk no Government of any country is prepared to take.

So not only to America...but also to any Overseas country.. please don't plan to carry with you such questionable Articles..

The authorities have been vested with such discretionary powers to just discard and throw away any Food stuff...

...including FRUITS & VEGETABLES...

...if it is considered detrimental in their National interests.

..which in their opinion may cause Un-Hygenic condition... especially in the controlled AC atmosphere easily and fast... the stuff being wet.

However just for choice of personal preferences on taste and samples to be shown to your people at US...

...you may try to bring small quantities of DRY FOOD STUFFS... (similar to Biscuits)...

...such as MURUKKU, THATTAI, THAEN-KUZHAL, SEEDAI and the like...

...in Totally SEALED PACKS TRANSPARENT-PLASTIC Covers (Hermetically sealed Air-tight... which can be got done by any famous Sweet stalls)..

...through CHECK-IN Baggage... and NOT AS CABIN LUGGAGE.

But be prepared for REJECTION OF YOUR SUCH STUFF... at any stage.

Because person to person the discretions vary... although the Law is Uniform.

Normally Small Quantities as TEMPLE-PRASADAMS... or Gift--packs are allowed at their Free will... But NO GUARANTEE.

In most of the regions here where people of Indianistic-culture... like Malaysians, Srilankans, African Indians... apart from Indians from India... reside,

...we have adequate Indian Stores, where anything and everything of Kitchen-needs of Indian menu varieties... are available here...

..even Thinai-maavu, Chola-maavu, Kaezh-varahu maavu etc...

...apart from the popular main Food-Ingredients like Rice, Wheat, Dal etc...

...alongside Sambar-powder, Rasam Powder, Pickles, Appalam etc.

But it will be exhorbitantly costly here... please don't forget.

If You want you can bring reasonably small quantities of Sambar-powder, Rasam powder etc.. in the hermetically sealed Transparent plastic covers... with appropriate Labels pasted... stating clearly about the contents.

Which part of America.. You are visiting... is important... in this connection.

Because if it is New york , New Jersey...East-coast region... you can feel quite at ease...

...as of Indian atmosphere even in a foreign land.

And if it is West coast...especially California state.. Oh still more better...

...You will feel as if you are in India or Malaysia or Jaffna... since a lot of Indians, especially Tamilians, Telugus and Hindi-walas are put up here.

So there are facilities to grow and live as Indians... since the facilities for learning Tamil, Sanskrit, Hindi, Music, Bharatha-natyam, etc are available here...

...including good Restaurants.. where (for example) one Masala-dosa costs US$ 6.00 (about Rs. 250)

Tamlian Cultural programmes also are organised often at California state.

Most important... what you need here utmost...is the Mind to spend money liberally.

Yes.. This is America... one of the highly Rich Nations... rolling in Dollars.

So please bring with you such a Large-Heart and Liberal Mind.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sudhaama
    This is America... one of the highly Rich Nations....
    The same is being said to a certain extent bout India too now......but it doesnt seem to cause ne major counter-immigration as yet...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sudhaama
    [
    Most important... what you need here utmost...is the Mind to spend money liberally.

Yes.. This is America... one of the highly Rich Nations... rolling in Dollars.

So please bring with you such a Large-Heart and Liberal Mind.
    Sudhaama sir,

Isn't a large heart and liberal mind required everywhere? Rich in what? character, wisdom? just money? money can be made and spent anywhere with the right will and hard work e.g. Dhirubhai
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    6$ for a masala dosa? that is expensive... I think it is only £1.50 in Chennai dosa (UK)

btw, Lamby, Anou is doing fine
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    An INTERESTING EXPERIENCE... at America.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewt...076474#1076474

Senior Member Regular Hubber buddysathi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take anything and everything you want except guns or explosives!

I was carrying 'kadalai maavu' in my hand baggage and u shud see how I was surrounded by all the security personnel during the check! They thought it was some drugs, but on seeing me laughing, they let me go!

Enjoy ur stay!

Post Thanks / Like
    No TOOTH-PASTE, Ointments, Powders.. in CABIN.

Now a days the rules have changed. The Travellers are not supposed to carry any Substance in the forms of Paste, Liquid or Powder...

...as the Cabin-Luggage.. along with the Travellers...

...even it be the Tooth paste or Shaving cream...

...but only by Check-in Baggage.

Tooth paste and Brush, Shaving razors etc are provided in the Toilet.. free of cost.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buddysathi
    Take anything and everything you want except guns or explosives!

I was carrying 'kadalai maavu' in my hand baggage and u shud see how I was surrounded by all the security personnel during the check! They thought it was some drugs, but on seeing me laughing, they let me go!

Enjoy ur stay!
    Once even my grandsons' toy guns were confiscated in a local plane!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast