Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FROM KERALA WITH LOVE

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood Sculptures in Nagaroor Temple

tscii]Wood sculpture in Nagaroor Temple:-
    Nagaroor is a small hamlet, six miles away from Attingal which is 16 Km away from Thiruvananthapuram. The 15th century temple has precious wood carvings and it is a pity that no consecrated effort is taken to protect the valuable wood carvings.
    Entrance:-
    On the southern side of the entrance there is a wooden pillar the lower portion of which contains a remarkable bas relief carving of Bhagavathi. It is an ideal example in the evolution of indigenous pillar type before the influence of Chalukya and Chola architecture. (Its influence can be seen in the pillar with a magnificent capital at the Padmanabhapuram Palace). On either side of the entrance that leads inside there is a pair of stone sculptures.
    MANDAPA: - ON THE sloping rafters in the ceiling are seen excellent wood carvings. These rafters are curved and the lower terminals are decorated with carvings of deities.
    The carvings are more than one foot in length and are executed in full relief.

A striking feature is the presence of a triple headed serpent zigzagging along the rafters, and their heads rose above the head of the deities like a canopy.

DEVI ON KAALAevi here is the destroyer of evil forces. The expression is finely rendered. Her shield and the saber demonstrate how terrible she can be on the war path. The raised head of the triple headed naaga constitutes the upper spatial division and includes in its circular composition-the face of the devi. The lower compartment occupying nearly one fourth of the total vertical space is devoted to the body and her vahana.
    The neck of the animal, the uplifted arms and saber and the ascending line of the hood supplement the fury and grandeur.
    DEVI AND ASURA:-

It represents a dynamic fight between Devi and Asura called Vaana, the story of which is similar to the legend of Bana samhara. The carving depicts the last phase of the war. Devi is close behind the heels of Asura. The apprehensive glance of the Vaana, his stride, the determination of Devi, can be well appreciated. The Devi stands on a lower level. The “ground” seems ascending. The structure of vaana is large and on a “higher ground” he appears gigantic.
    NARASIMHAMURTHI:-
    The striking feature is the face and its resemblance to the theatrical forms of Kerala. Its widely dilated eyes, ear to ear mouth, gruesome grimace, sharp canines half human and half lion nature is highly impressive. He is ready to pounce on the enemy, to tear the entrails out. Crossed legs, the horizontal band below the knees, radiating line from the hood of the serpent and the pyramidal effect as suggested by the extended hands on either side bear an eloquent testimony to the skill of the unknown craftsman.

SHASTHA:-

It is a different and unusual carving of shastha. The free flowing curves of the body, narrow shoulders with plumb limbs and the childish look, indicates that it is Shastha. The left arm is held over the left knee. There is a knee band. Instead of the usual squatting posture he is seated comfortably on the peedam. Analogous work of Shastha can be seen in the temple of Sree Padmanabha in Thiruvananthapuram.
    VIGNESWARA: -
    This is the best work of all. A similar work kept detached can be seen at Devaeswaram near Kilimanoor. There is a usual canopy of floral and beads projecting over the head of Vigneswara. This canopy though does not have any peculiar function in the carving and might be the improvisation of the master hand. . The ornaments are minutely carved and over crowded as against the simple Shastha.
    Nagroor is a remote village and hence the temple remains neglected for long and a systematic study of the precious wood carvings in this temple is the need of the hour.

[img][/img][/tscii]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of all the things, when will this "Inquilab Sindaabad" go away from Kerala?

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On a completely different note, do any of the Malayalis (or anyone else) here know the complete words to "Ayyapante Amma" I can only remember something of the first verse, and would like to find the rest.

Ayyappante amma
    neyyappam chuttu
    kakka kothi
    kadalil ittu
    kaa kaaa kaaa kaaa kakka kothi kadalil idum

Or some such thing...?
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ayyappantamma neyyappam chuttu
    kaakka kothi kadalil ittu

mungaan piller mungi eduthu
    thaTTaan piller thaTTi parichu
    vaaniyan piller vaayiliTTu

fishermen/divers children did the labour of getting it back from the sea, but the gold-smith kids snatched it but atlast the "business men" community ate the neyyappam!
    Here there is no 'I'

Post Thanks / Like

SISTER ABHAYA MURDER CASE

These days Kerala is rocked by two major events-Namely Sister Abhaya Case and Munnar Mission.
    1. Sister Abhaya case: Body of Sister Abhaya of St. Pious convent was found in a well with in the premises of the convent on 12/ 4/ 1992.
    2. The local police said it was a suicide.
    3. The CBI said it was a homicide.
    4. But none was punished.
    5. A few weeks ago Mr. Sreejan a correspondent of Indian Express came with report that was like a bolt from the blue. He proved that the medical report of SR. Abhaya was tampered with.
    The Case:
    • Sister abhaya, daughter of M Thomas of Aykarakunnel House Kottayam, was found dead in the well of St Pious Convent, Kottayam.
    • She was the student of BCM College doing her second year Pre-degree.
    • So far the case remained inconclusive and was facing a natural death.
    • On 12-4-2007, Sreejan came with a shocking report saying that the results of the chemical examination of the vaginal swab and smear had been tampered with at the Chief Chemical Examiners Laboratory in Thiruvananthapuram.
    • The initial tests confirmed the presence of human semen but the reports were corrected to conclude that semen was not detected.
    • The media gave due importance to the report
    • Joe mon puthenpurackal a human right activist filed a petition.
    • Further test at the National Forensic Lab confirmed the tampering.
    • A case was registered against Chief Chemical Examiner and Chemical analyst R. GEETHA and M CHITHRA for committing forgery.
    • The duos were absconding for days and finally surrendered and were given bail but are under suspension.
    • Many of the crucial evidence, like her personal belongings, veil, foot wear, diary, and the material evidence sent for chemical evidence, were destroyed preventing CBI from further enquiry.
    • The FIR from the fire station kottayam and that from the police station were too missing.
    • The last thing to miss was the postmortem record of the Kottayam Medical College.
    • After 10 months enquiry, it was concluded that Sr ABHAYA committed suicide.
    • The case was handed to CBI. Varghese P.THOMAS was the CBI official. He resigned his job with ten more years to go in service.
    • Varghese remarked that he resigned because he could not comply with the directives given by CBI PS V THYAGARAJAN.
    • Thus the case was handed to M L SHARMA, JOINT Director CBI.
    • His Team requested the court to write off the case.
    • The court dismissed the case and directed the CBI to pursue the investigation honestly
    • The CBI concluded that it was a homicide-with out locating the culprits-the reason being lack of evidences.
    • Re investigation began in 2001. The team led by DIG NANDA KUMAR, came to the same conclusion.
    • Now the CBI CI Subhash Guddu and SI Vinod are here, in Kerala.
    • LET US SEE.
    • MUNNAR MISSION FOLLOWS.

Post Thanks / Like

tidbits

SCHOOL CHILDREN ARE ASKED TO WEAR HANDLOOM UNIFORM ONCE IN A WEEK
    THE MALE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES WERE REQUESTED TO WEAR MUNDU ON SATURDAYS.
    HELMET IS MADE MANDATORY FROM TOMORROW ONWARDS

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by padmanabha
    THE MALE GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES WERE REQUESTED TO WEAR MUNDU ON SATURDAYS.
    When I was a college student, it was quite common for lecturers from Kerala to wear mundu to work on a regular basis. The principal, who was also from Kerala, used to encourage it quite a bit. Has the mundu become less common now?
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is ok to wear Mundu to teach, but how are they teaching I wonder...I recently came across a B.Com graduate who could not translate a sentence from an English Newspaper, romba kashtam. Lecturers should be held responsible for their lack of teaching skills.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Post Thanks / Like
    It is ok to wear Mundu to teach, but how are they teaching I wonder...I recently came across a B.Com graduate who could not translate a sentence from an English Newspaper, romba kashtam. Lecturers should be held responsible for their lack of teaching skills.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

Post Thanks / Like

GENTS ARE COMFORTABLE IN PANTS I BELIEVE. Adolescent boys wear Bermudas and similar things. The present generation is not favoring mundu. Once in a while they go temples-where mundu is mandatory and many need belts other wise it will not remain in place. To promote the handloom sector the chief minister requested the male employees to wear mundu on Saturdays.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast