Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Director

Post Thanks / Like
    Lancelot - Yeah, misspelt it = NOT "The taste of others" BUT "The Lives of others".

Quote Originally Posted by shobana_in
    What abt BRIAN DE PALMA

scarface,carlito's way and the untouchables.

his movies are racy and interesting
    Oh yeah, I like him too

Racy entertaining films with style. I feel he is the guy who is for intensity !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    Kannann sir,

Important question : Iranian films (or) Italian neo-realistic films?

Wat do you prefer? I mean which culture fazes you(this could be part of the reason) and strikes you hard. Not necessarily Poignancy but it could be for other reasons too Name the reasons.
    Sir, mor-lam edhukku? As for cinema aesthetics, neo-realism. As for culture, Iranian. Perhaps, because we know very little about them. Also because most of those movies end up being banned in Iran. So, in a way they are anti-establishment and I like that.

I liked Haneke's "The piano teacher" but I couldn't get "Funny games" and I didn't finish "Cache" - Should I revisit them?
    Absolutely. Funny Games and Cache are loaded with social and political messages. Trying to catch the messages is a part of watching his movies. Piano Teacher was more about an individual's loneliness. I liked all three, but if I have to rank them it would be Cache, Funny Games and Piano Teacher, in that order.

How realistic are "Der untergang", "The lives of Others", and "Goodbye Lenin" -

How do the germans rate it?
    How do you rate them?

Name the top 10 films from Germany.
    The Downfall is a subjective take on Hitler, since it is based on his secretary's account. It created quite a furore in Germany for portraying Hitler in a human light. But the director was unfazed. Some Germans I talked to like the movie nonetheless. Goodbye Lenin, I hear, is quite realistic and authentic take on life in East Germany. With all it's humour, there is still an underlying sorrow about what continues to happen. I haven't seen "The lives of others". Theater poga time kidaikardhilla.. DVD release varaikkum wait panna vendiyadhudhaan.

As for top 10, let me try (in no particular order):
    1. Tin Drum: A small boy decides to stop growing unable to take the decadence around him. The movie shocks and jolts the viewers. Not for the faint hearted.
    2. Downfall: for showing a Hitler we have not seen before. and also for the war scenes.
    3. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul: It's not just about racism. The movie goes much beyond it.
    4. Wings of desire: Angles wanting to live as humans. Ring a bell?
    5. Edukators: what happens when a trio of anti-capitalists kidnap a wealthy entrepreneur?
    6. Run Lola Run: Of course, we know about it.
    7. Goodbye Lenin: So do we about this.
    8. The Marriage of Maria Braun: A part of Fassbinder's BDR trilogy. Picking up the pieces from the war and moving on..
    9. Beware of the Holy Whore: A stranded film crew. Everyone in love with everyone else. One of Fassbinder's best.
    10. Anti Bodies: Forget the tacky graphics and Christian references. The movie works as a thriller.

Are there movies you would recommend?

What abt BRIAN DE PALMA

Racy, yes. He also had a distinct style. But he seems repetitive at times. I also didn't like Carlito's way much.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot

Name the top 10 films from Germany.
    i dont think i can give u 10 German movies. but i can defiantly say that Lives Of Others was an amazing movie. one of the best movies iv seen in recent times

hehe
    The Lives of Others was not a great movie at all. It was pretty darn boring and except the heroine, nothing impressed me. USA's penchant towards german movies fetched it an oscar. Pan's labyrinth was 100 times better and I am a fantasy hater

I have just seen 2 out of kannan's 10 (Downfall and Lola)

Das Experiment is a german movie I liked and would like to recommend :P

Post Thanks / Like
    kannan.....u dint carlito's way?

man...thats my favourite action movie.

may be a treat for al pacino fans...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber lancelot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    The Lives of Others was not a great movie at all. It was pretty darn boring and except the heroine, nothing impressed me. USA's penchant towards german movies fetched it an oscar. Pan's labyrinth was 100 times better and I am a fantasy hater
    well i tot "The Lives Of Others" was amazing movie. the ending was so sad an mellow.. hmmm...
    it was a slow movie.... but it was not boring.. to me at lest...

but i also think Pan's Labyrinth was the best out of the movies nominated for the Oscar... it was one of the best fantasy movies iv seen...

i guess ppl see things differently... rite Nerd??

hehe
    Sadhakallahu Nabiyul Kareem - A R Rahman

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Das Experiment is a german movie I liked and would like to recommend :P
    The plot line seems very interesting. Will catch it soon .

kannan.....u dint carlito's way?

man...thats my favourite action movie.

may be a treat for al pacino fans...
    The movie was kind of predictable. After he throws out the young ganster from his club, I knew his end was near. Pacino was great though as usual . I liked The Untouchables better.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Lancy

And yeh Untouchables is the best BDP movie :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kannannn
    Sir, mor-lam edhukku? As for cinema aesthetics, neo-realism. As for culture, Iranian. Perhaps, because we know very little about them. Also because most of those movies end up being banned in Iran. So, in a way they are anti-establishment and I like that.
    'Sir' - I guess it comes automatically, especially when I write faster, it reflects what I think the very moment I type. No offense intended

I like Neo-realism for its aesthetics and it has also hit me harder. But come to think of it, I haven't watched that many Iranian movies. Forgot to thank you for the earlier recommendations

Absolutely. Funny Games and Cache are loaded with social and political messages. Trying to catch the messages is a part of watching his movies. Piano Teacher was more about an individual's loneliness. I liked all three, but if I have to rank them it would be Cache, Funny Games and Piano Teacher, in that order.
    Ahaa, Got to watch them again. Haneke's movies impress me, because I am a sucker for disturbing movies and the 'dont-get-the-first-time' types. Although I seem to remember my lack of attention while watching "Funny games" - that would have prevented me from following it more closely. Should watch them again

The Downfall is a subjective take on Hitler, since it is based on his secretary's account. It created quite a furore in Germany for portraying Hitler in a human light. But the director was unfazed. Some Germans I talked to like the movie nonetheless. Goodbye Lenin, I hear, is quite realistic and authentic take on life in East Germany. With all it's humour, there is still an underlying sorrow about what continues to happen. I haven't seen "The lives of others". Theater poga time kidaikardhilla.. DVD release varaikkum wait panna vendiyadhudhaan.
    I liked "Downfall" and "Goodbye lenin", I always thought Downfall would be a real travesty in reality (every historical character is questionable). GL was nice and neat - So, I had a doubt

I haven't seen "The lives of others" yet. So, same pinch

No Dvds for foreign films here, only download

As for top 10, let me try (in no particular order):
    1. Tin Drum: A small boy decides to stop growing unable to take the decadence around him. The movie shocks and jolts the viewers. Not for the faint hearted.
    2. Downfall: for showing a Hitler we have not seen before. and also for the war scenes.
    3. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul: It's not just about racism. The movie goes much beyond it.
    4. Wings of desire: Angles wanting to live as humans. Ring a bell?
    5. Edukators: what happens when a trio of anti-capitalists kidnap a wealthy entrepreneur?
    6. Run Lola Run: Of course, we know about it.
    7. Goodbye Lenin: So do we about this.
    8. The Marriage of Maria Braun: A part of Fassbinder's BDR trilogy. Picking up the pieces from the war and moving on..
    9. Beware of the Holy Whore: A stranded film crew. Everyone in love with everyone else. One of Fassbinder's best.
    10. Anti Bodies: Forget the tacky graphics and Christian references. The movie works as a thriller.

1. First on the priority

2.6.7 - Paathachu.. :P

4 - It was remade with Nic Cage and Meg Ryan by hollyland - 'City of angels'? I saw that long time back - it was so-so if my memory serves right. But I believe, WOD is rated highly in imdb as well.

Thanks a lot - looks like I got few titles to download.

Are there movies you would recommend?
    Das Experiment - Just Like Nerd, I liked it - Disturbing and thought provoking.

What abt BRIAN DE PALMA

Racy, yes. He also had a distinct style. But he seems repetitive at times. I also didn't like Carlito's way much.
    I agree. He is repetitive at times. But I liked 'Carlito's way' being an Al fan(not as a great movie) but it's no way near 'Scarface', that I agree. Haven't seen his horror outing 'Carrie' and 'Causalities of war' about Vietnam war.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Lancy

And yeh Untouchables is the best BDP movie :P
    i liked the sharp shooter...wuts his name...that guy appeared in godfather 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Nerd and lancelot,

I liked Pan's labyrinth too. And I hate fantasy

And about De palma,

I think he has the distinctive style in making masala movies like 'Mission impossible'.

He should also thank Thalaivar's 'Guru' for the intense maneuver in CIA headquarters

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast