Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Director

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Director

I am just a novice when it comes to world cinema. Anyway these people are my favorites.

1. Scorsese (Taxi, Raging, GoodF, King of Comedy...)

2. Lynch (Mulholland, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet.....)

3. Fincher (Fight club, Se7en.....)

4. Tarantino (Pulp, reservoir, kill bill, true romance, grindhouse....)

5. Speilberg(Saving Pvt Ryan, Schindler's List, Munich : Just these three )

6. Ritchie (Snatch, LSTSMB..)

7. Polanski (RB, Tenant, Pianist..)

8. HItchcock (Rear window, Psycho...)

9. Innaritu (AP, Babel, 21)

10. Nolan (Following, Memento..)

11. Miike (Audition, Visitor Q)

12. Kurosawa (Rashomon, 7S...)

And how the hell can I forget

Stanley Kubrick (ALL his movies 2001, SL, ACWO, S being the most favorites :P )

I might have missed some

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me pick mine from the list and add some more:

Kubrick

Kurosawa

Scorsese (enough has been said about all three)

Tarantino (Easily the best at present. There is just so much waiting to be explored in Quentin's movies. Single-handedly brought respect to Indie movies. Made the big studios kneel before him. Never compromises on film-making ethics )

Miike (The sheer number of his movies baffles me. And he has something up his sleeve everytime. The master of all genres. )

Hitchcock (what can I say? The master of mystery, interlaced with humour)

Tarkovsky (The man is a genius. In a class of his own)

Krzysztof (If only he had lived longer!!)

Haneke (Deeply embedded messages that make you think. Not easy to watch though)

Fassbinder (Hard-hitting movies. The best German director according to me)

Kinji Fukasaku (Another important director of Modern Japan)

And of course our own Satyajit Ray and Adoor Gopalakrishnan.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nandri hai Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by thilak4life
    None of the films take sides, at least from my view - in fact it deals about War without any maneuvers - if at all they were against someone, it was against their own country and proved that War was the epitome of insult to humanity and comes with a comeuppance of moral decadence.

Yeah, The Deer hunter actually doesn't stick its leg into the actual crux of the issue but makes it up with the characters, transforming through the Vietnam war. The whole "Russian Roulette" angle was debatable but that works for the movie as it was shown to 'affect' their lives beyond just 'death'(although there is nothing more permanent than that). How this indirectly affects the whole group back in little town from Streep to Cazale - at least how their cohesion changes post-war when Deniro comes back. The only big worry was: It shows Vietnamese in a bad light - thats the big glitch. But the transformation(which elicits a strong Anti-war lash out) undermines Uncle Sam's cause!
    It shows the extremity of Post traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) with Christopher Walken's character(in fact every character undergo a profound change) . PSTD was also the base for OS's BOTFOJ for the important phase of the movie. Scorsese's 'Taxi driver' lays no emphasis on War but it also deals with PTSD of an ex marine - in Forrest Gump, Gary Sinise's character has eminent signs of PTSD. My question is, the movies touch upon "degradation of American soldiers" due to war, they don't justify the cause at any point! How come they are called to be have some bias. Maybe because of 'false portray' of Vietnam people and exaggerations of situations could have been the reason (or) Innuendos ? If there is one thing that BOTFOJ can claim, it is 'crystal clear transparency' but it was way too bogged down instead of dealing it in a subtle way - somehow that prevents it from being a favorite.

I beg to disagree with Platoon, It was not a typical Oliver Stone film like his later efforts which IMO has became more and more pathetic over the years - In fact the whole Vietnam trilogy (haven't seen the last one which deals with Vietnam side of things) doesn't preach or support US in any form. The first one tells them from the whole platoon perspective.

I think 'Apocalypse now' would rank as the best Anti-War movie from Hollyland and whole of celluloid dealing on Vietnam war. It deserves every bit of praise IMO. Coppola's efforts were worth it and the documentary of its making is a classic in its own right. Coming back to AN, No other film has engrossed the viewer down the doomed gutters of War - Right from the title, it was against War in every sense. It's a great character study (With evidence/reports- a style that builds up tension) and The narrative from Sheen heightens the intensity but we always get the feeling of pseudo-realistic artifacts when it seem to vilify 'Kurtz' and Sheen's interaction in the journey- the Trauma of American soldiers is lethal - every character from 'Eccentric but Old' Duvall to young Fishburne (forgot the character names) - portrayed the evils of war - and almost every deterioration it brings about - gut wrenching. The climax signifies the title like no other movie - Hauntingly brilliant. Insane to start with, 'Kurtz' became a question and when it answers - it answers the larger question, war has left a void over stability of men - the movie is a visual haunt fest with exquisite symbolism - All this and not to forget the lines in the movie and hw effective it was - None gets more intense and gut wrenching than The legendary words "Horror..Horrror" - which sums up the context of war!

To summarize, the aforementioned movies are primarily 'Anti-War' and deprecates the home strategies at different levels - With final statement of 'Shooting in the foot' stamped over it.

Looks like, our perception seem to vary to the extreme
    Like i said, its just more than coincidence that when HW claims to be anti-war, all its films show only the American angle - trauma, dehumanization blah blah.
    Its virtually making the perpetrator the victim. With that kind of radical shift, its difficult for me to take the anti-war angle seriously. Atleast lets just say that it didn't work for me.
    "Bomb the damn place to pulp, destroy entire peoples, but hey, WE are the victims, not the people who died or the country which got raped. And let's call it anti-war".

As an anti-war film, Paths Of Glory is much better.

How this indirectly affects the whole group back in little town from Streep to Cazale - at least how their cohesion changes post-war when Deniro comes back
    The very last scene - the movie ends with a patriotic song being played. I think i discussed this with Kannan earlier - the scene was supposed to be ironic. IMO, if a scene has to hit me for irony, it doesn't help when your BGM 'supports' seem to say exactly the opposite - siding with the 'heroes'. Maybe my ideals are getting in the way of appreciating good cinema or maybe i missed something which was obvious for everybody else

None of the films take sides, at least from my view
    BOTFOJ - Cruise speaks out to the TV crew about how this whole war is a big lie.....

To summarize, the aforementioned movies are primarily 'Anti-War' and deprecates the home strategies at different levels - With final statement of 'Shooting in the foot' stamped over it.
    adhu dhaan problem.. "shooting OUR foot" - nu dhaan solraanga

idha konjam paarunga
    Hollywood Distortion - http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=76

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my take on all the movies you guys mentioned. No serious analysis. Just how I feel about them, in my own semi-literate way.

Apocalypse Now:
    As I mentioned. Absolute favourite. Subject is one, but the delivery is totally another. Mind blowing. Yes, the making of this movie is a legend by itself.

At this juncture Coppola is Kurtz. The monster, at the edge of his mind. The, movie, to me is more about hell than the hell hole. "Saigon" says Willard, "Sh*t!" The first dialogue of the movie.

I tried reading Conrad's Heart of Darkness, but it was too tough for my simple brain. But AN went through my brain like hot knife through butter.

Is this an anti-war movie? I don't know. I think of it as a monster movie. How a man can become a monster and how usually monster self-destructs. A reflection of what Coppola was going through.

The Deer Hunter:
    I had tough time with this movie. There is something very right-wing about it. I had trouble getting through the wedding scene. Too long. I just didn't care. And suddenly, boom, we are in Vietnam. Both De Niro and Walken were great. But that's about it.

Platoon:
    Anti-war? I don't know. But this is an episode of a soldier's life. Stone's own experience. There could have been a serious character-study, but Stone was more interested in the destructive ambience. The war, the drug, the music. What it does to these young men. It could be Vietnam. It could be battle at Waterloo. It's a timeless piece.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add my favorites to the list:

Coen Brothers: Fargo, Big Lebowski, Oh Brother..., Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, The Lady Killers, The Man Who Wasn't There, etc..

Francois Truffaut: 400 Blows, The Wild Child, Day For Night....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    The Deer Hunter:
    I had trouble getting through the wedding scene. Too long. I just didn't care. And suddenly, boom, we are in Vietnam. Both De Niro and Walken were great. But that's about it.
    Well, i loved the way the director sets us up for the rest of the movie with that one long scene. Take away that scene, the impact of what happenes later would be diminished.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the current discussion, I have not seen DH and Platoon, so I should stay away from it.

I also did not get the Anti-war side of FMJ and PoG is a better anti-war movie. The final seen hits you hard!

This apparently is one of spielberg's favorite scenes ever and after hearing the news of Kubrick's demise, spielberg and his friends watched just this scene and that was enough to bring tears from their eyes

Coen Brother: My favorite as well (Fargo, TBL, OBWAT). I hated their BloodSimple

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit of trivia. The singing German girl? Kubrick married her. Yesss.....
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    A bit of trivia. The singing German girl? Kubrick married her. Yesss.....
    Yes, Christiane..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Like i said, its just more than coincidence that when HW claims to be anti-war, all its films show only the American angle - trauma, dehumanization blah blah.
    Its virtually making the perpetrator the victim. With that kind of radical shift, its difficult for me to take the anti-war angle seriously. Atleast lets just say that it didn't work for me.
    "Bomb the damn place to pulp, destroy entire peoples, but hey, WE are the victims, not the people who died or the country which got raped. And let's call it anti-war".
    Oh, appidi varingala. Hmmmm But I guess AN was all about 'raping' of either side. The movies victimized themselves more than the other side. All these movies, at different points were strongly against US strategies.

As an anti-war film, Paths Of Glory is much better.
    I agree - But even that, was about the French Army shooting themselves in the foot. Every anti-war movie predominantly deals with a single side. But I do agree, WWI is much different from Vietnam war - this was debauchery.

The very last scene - the movie ends with a patriotic song being played. I think i discussed this with Kannan earlier - the scene was supposed to be ironic. IMO, if a scene has to hit me for irony, it doesn't help when your BGM 'supports' seem to say exactly the opposite - siding with the 'heroes'. Maybe my ideals are getting in the way of appreciating good cinema or maybe i missed something which was obvious for everybody else
    Yes. "God bless America" slightly spoils the message they drove all along. I guess its for commercial side of things - you know, rise American people's patriotism.

BOTFOJ - Cruise speaks out to the TV crew about how this whole war is a big lie.....
    Yeah. I remember. MY point was, none of the other four movies took a side. But I agree with the following point,

adhu dhaan problem.. "shooting OUR foot" - nu dhaan solraanga
    But as I said, AN dealt with it better because it touches upon inhumanity from American soldiers and later about Vietcong.

idha konjam paarunga
    Hollywood Distortion - http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=76
    Thanks. Pakuraen

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast