Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mother's day

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

mother's day

(In connection with mother's day I met a few mothers who are above ninety and still active).

The calendar has a specia'l day to remember the ‘Earth’,
    ‘Environment’, ‘Health’ and many more. Now it’s even come closer home, we need a ‘Mother’s Day’ to remember our Mothers. Stop for a moment to ask yourself whether we need such a day to remember them. It is a vehement, “NO” that is the response we receive for many who believe that “Mothers are Forever” and theirs is the omnipresence we just cannot confine to just one day because the Mother is Life itself.

1. HH KT:-
    “I disapprove. Mother’s Day is an alien concept and for us everyday is Mother’s Day. In our way of thinking it is Maatha, Pitha, Guru, Daivam. Top priority is given to Mothers” said Pooyam Tirunal Gouri Parvathi Bayi the elder daughter of HH Maharani Karthika Tirunal.
    ‘Our mother is a home maker. If she desired she could have accompanied her husband Col. G V Raja, all over the world. She concentrated on our grooming. Public demands took a back seat. She diced vegetables and cooked food. She actively participated in sports games and dramatics. With the demise of her son, in 1944 she withdrew from all extra activities.
    She is 90 plus today and still she sits along with us on the floor while eating. She is a strict disciplinarian, and a structured personality. She does things as per her schedule. You can call it a kind of regimented discipline. She is keen on attending to her great grand children. It keeps her further active and alert. Her only grievance is that she cannot keep pace with the kids.
    In my opinion, one should not sideline the elderly especially when they are disabled. Aging makes many hard of hearing or it affects their mobility. It is the duty of the children and grandchildren to ensure their participation in all domestic and outside activities.
    She was born during the First World War. She witnessed the Second and the sweeping changes including the Man’s landing on the Moon. In Vienna, I visited an old age home which was part of an apartment. The ill fated elderly people never feel isolated. They can see children playing around. They can watch the flurry of activities going around.
    2.Valiamuthassi: -
    “She reads National Geographic Magazine, Reader’s Digest and Sportstar, even at 94!!!” says P A Goda Varma Raja about his mother Ambalika Tamputratti of Poonjar and Valiamuthassi of the entire family.
    “She had no formal education. Her elder brother Alakkode Raja taught English. In spite of her blurred vision and feeble sense of hearing she still wants herself to keep abreast of happenings around us. We all admire this quality. She was introduced to Kalidasa, Banabatta, Bhasa and the likes in Sanskrit literature, at a tender age. Influenced by these great scholars she too ventured into composing Sanskrit verses. From the age of 16 till date she makes it a point to compose a song praising Goddess Saraswati during Navarathri. “Ramayana Sthuti” in Sanskrit is her only published work. She laments for, “the flow is less these days.” She is like a huge banyan tree. I do not no how many relished and took refuge in its shade and protection. She often says “Just like the hornbill awaiting showers, I am waiting for the slokas and hymns to reach my feeble ears” reminisced her daughter in law Vrinda and added “Her wish is to complete the ongoing work on “Guruvayoorappan” in Sanskrit.”
    She is the sister of Col. Goda Varma Raja. “krishnovathu nathaanasman/ vrishni vamsa vibhooshana:/Prushnathu hrudayae bhaktim/ Sashtangam Pranamamyaham” is her recently composed verse.

3. Rajamma Amma Thampuran of Mavelikkara :-
    The earliest image of my mother was one of fear. My father C K Kerala Varma was a calm person it was my mother who executed the punishment part. At seven she gave up that too may be because she thought it was useless, or, I was improving. One thing which had always attracted me and still makes me awe struck is her enthusiasm, for creative artistic and literary works. She started weaving colorful mats. Then she started playing with pen. She has authored poems, musical compositions and plays. Then she started playing with colors, which still she does and in these days she finds refuge and solace, from bereavement. Her daughter’s untimely demise was a blow. She finished her last work on12.8.06. The next work is in progress. Playing with colors is inherent for she is the only surviving direct grand daughter of the world renowned artist Raja Ravi Varma!! She is the living inspiration in all my endeavors.”

4. K KAMAKSHI Amma: -
    “What we are today is because of our mother only” said one of the celebrity trios of music, Dr. K Omanakutti. “Decision to settle in Thiruvananthapuram was her wise move. It is this city which identified, nurtured and encouraged the talents of M G Radhakrishnan and M G Sreekumar and mine” she recalled with gratitude.

Aged 96, Kamashi Amma was a popular Harikatha Kalakshepam artiste. Our father accompanied her on the harmonium. During interval she would ask Radhakrishnan and me to sing one or two songs. We got rid off stage frights. A disciplined personality she insisted on things like the weekly oil bath. She was very bold and could shoulder the entire domestic responsibilities, and faced the ups and downs with equanimity. She is a strong-willed person. Like every mother, the affection she showered on all was the hallmark of her personality. She had a routine. I think that is what keeps her healthy even at 96.”
    Parvathi Antharjanam: -
    5. Parvathi Antharjanam of Sucheendram Vattappalli tharavad is ninety. She recites the hymns with clarity, and has a strong memory. She remembers to this day, the car festivals and the performances of Mohiniyattam by Devadasis at Sucheendram temple” said Dr. V S Sarma. My father Sahityahhushanam Vasudeva Sarma of Harippad taught her Bengali, Hindi and English. She is a great fan of MS and GNB and has seen their films. She is good in music as well. In spite of being a member of a huge aristocratic family, she took to a simple life style. She seldom wore jewels and colorful costumes. She is very strict and expected her children to obey her. She lost her husband at a very young age. Recently, she lost her son the renowned surgeon Dr. V P Sarma. During conversations she quotes scriptures with ease. She is a pious and observes fast. Her strict grooming made us what we are today. She is visually handicapped for the past 15 years and we read out books and scriptures for her” said Dr. V S Sarma, renowned writer and an authority on the performing arts of Kerala.
    Aranmula Ponnamma: -
    6. “Though I was her grandson, it was she who brought me up as I lost my mother at a very early age” said Aranamula Ramachandran. “I am so attached to her that once I left home at the age of eight to see her at the shooting spot in Chennai. I knew where she normally stayed. The news of me missing reached her, before I reached Chennai. In panic she sent people to railway station and bus stand. They could not spot me. I reached her place safely. I could not forget her mixed reaction. She cried, she scolded and sighed” explained Ramachandran, now working in the crime branch. She is like bacon light. Great artistes like Satyan once said ‘If there is a rebirth I want to be born as Aranmula Ponnamma’s child’. For every body she is Ponnamma and for me she is PoNNAMMA.”
    When we come across the lives of these Mothers, we realize that they have never been idle and without expecting anything in return they have been engaged in their hobbies and activities for which the children and grand children extended full support. Getting old is not easy. But their lives can be made more meaningful!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: mother's day

Quote Originally Posted by padmanabha
    Getting old is not easy. But their lives can be made more meaningful!
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mother Lied

*The story began when I was a child; I was born as a son of a poor family.
    Even for eating, we often got lack of food. Whenever the time for eating,
    mother often gave me her portion of rice. While she was removing her rice
    into my bowl, she would say "Eat this rice, son. I'm not hungry". That was
    Mother's First Lie.

When I was getting to grow up, the persevering mother gave her spare time
    for fishing in a river near our house, she hoped that from the fishes she
    got, she could gave me a little bit nutritious food for my growth. After
    fishing, she would cook the fishes to be a fresh fish soup, which raised my
    appetite. While I was eating the soup, mother would sit beside me and eat
    the rest meat of fish, which was still on the bone of the fish I ate. My
    heart was touched when I saw it. I then used my chopstick and gave the other
    fish to her. But she immediately refused it and said "Eat this fish, son. I
    don't really like fish." That was Mother's Second Lie.

Then, when I was in Junior High School, to fund my study, mother went to an
    economic enterprise to bring some used-matches boxes that would be stuck in.
    It gave her some money for covering our needs. As the winter came, I woke up
    from my sleep and looked at my mother who was still awoke, supported by a
    little candlelight and within her perseverance she continued the work of
    sticking some used-matches box. I said, "Mother, go to sleep, it's late,
    tomorrow morning you still have to go for work." Mother smiled
    and said "Go to sleep, dear. I'm not tired." That was Mother's Third Lie.

At the time of final term, mother asked for a leave from her work in order
    to accompany me. While the daytime was coming and the heat of the sun was
    starting to shine, the strong and persevering mother waited for me under the
    heat of the sun's shine for several hours. As the bell rang, which indicated
    that the final exam had finished, mother immediately welcomed me and poured
    me a glass of tea that she had prepared before in a cold bottle. The very
    thick
    tea was not as thick as my mother's love, which was much thicker. Seeing my
    mother covering with perspiration, I at once gave her my glass and asked her
    to drink too. Mother said "Drink, son. I'm not thirsty!". That was Mother's
    Fourth Lie.

After the death of my father because of illness, my poor mother had to play
    her role as a single parent. By held on her former job, she had to fund our
    needs alone. Our family's life was more complicated. No days without
    sufferance. Seeing our family's condition that was getting worse, there was
    a nice uncle who lived near my house came to help us, either in a big
    problem and a small problem.

Our other neighbors who lived next to us saw that our family's life was so
    unfortunate, they often advised my mother to marry again. But mother, who
    was stubborn, didn't care to their advice, she said "I don't need love."
    That was Mother's Fifth Lie.

After I had finished my study and then got a job, it was the time for my old
    mother to retire. But she didn't want to; she was sincere to go to the
    marketplace every morning, just to sell some vegetable for fulfilling her
    needs. I, who worked in the other city, often sent her some money to help
    her in fulfilling her needs, but she was stubborn for not accepting the
    money. She even sent the money back to me. She said "I have enough money."
    That was Mother's Sixth Lie.

After graduated from Bachelor Degree, I then continued my study to Master
    Degree. I took the degree, which was funded by a company through a
    scholarship program, from a famous University in America. I finally worked
    in the company. Within a quite high salary, I intended to take my mother to
    enjoy her life in America. But my lovely mother didn't want to bother her
    son, she said to me "I'm not used to."
    That was Mother's Seventh Lie.

After entering her old age, mother got a flank cancer and had to be
    hospitalized. I, who lived in miles away and across the ocean, directly went
    home to visit my dearest mother. She lied down in weakness on her bed after
    having an operation. Mother, who looked so old, was staring at me in deep
    yearn. She tried to spread her smile on her face; even it looked so stiff
    because of the disease she held out. It was clear enough to see how the
    disease broke my mother's body, thus she looked so weak and thin. I stared
    at my mother within tears flowing on my face. My heart was hurt, so hurt,
    seeing my mother on that condition. But mother, with her strength, said
    "Don't cry, my dear. I'm not in pain."
    That was Mother's Eight Lie.

After saying her eighth lie, my dearest mother closed her eyes forever*
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    Very touching! To be read by all mothers & children!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

ONLY MOTHERS CAN DO THAT MUCH SACRIFICE

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: REPLY

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REPLY

what about fathers?
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    Poor fathers! No use blaming them! There is such a thing called mother's instinct- almost a sixth sense that keeps her red alert for the wellbeing of her offspring. Fathers may snore, but mothers wake up at the slightest movement of the baby! An awareness seems to run with the blood in the body!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast