Thread: C N KARUNAKARAN-ARTIST

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

C N KARUNAKARAN-ARTIST

“Limitations of artworks are its possibilities” said C N Karunakaran, Chairman of Kerala State Lalitha Kala Academy, whose works are displayed at the Surykanthi art gallery, near Pulimoodu in the capital city. Works in acrylic and oil 45 in numbers are on the display.

Excerpts from the interview:-
    “A native of Brahmakulam in Guruvayoor, I had my diploma in design, from the Government School of Arts and Crafts Madras and advanced training from the College of Fine Arts Madras. In those days, the curriculum was based on western art. Thus our system of art works like murals, were not taught. I visited temples and drew inspiration from that. Our system of paintings is closely related to dance, music, festival. It is related to our philosophy and thought. But European styles of paintings cannot provide this sort of contemplative effect.”

The exhibited works have narrative quality. The figures are not anguished, disturbed and distressed. Some of the damsels are in a contemplative mood, some glance at you through the corners of the eyes and yet a few are lost in deep thought. Decorative motifs, twiners, creepers birds and animals adorn all the canvases.

“Yes. In all my works I represent nature as well” he said.

Karunakaran opined that there is a dearth of art critics. In the west there will be a panel consisting of even psychologists. Art is the reflection of the artist’s mind. They probe into the nature of the artist and analyze the use of color and form. Artists translate their ideas on to canvases and the works can be called as an extension of thought. Unlike music and dance painting has no grammar. Artist creates his own grammar. This is my 50th year of creating aesthetic spaces and infusing with a mélange of form and color.”

Karunakaran has received many awards and accolades. Aswathamavu, Ore thooval pakshikal, akkare, Purushartham, and Alicende Anweshanangal are films for which he did the art direction. He has provided illustrations for popular Malayalam weeklies and monthlies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement