Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Selva Raghavan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by atqsar72
    Any one knows about his latest Telugu release?
    yep...AMAV is good and i liked it.....Selvaraghavan is a successful director and he has proved it again with this movie

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    selvaraghavan - reminds me of the yesteryear BaluMahendra...........for a fact, i havent enjoyed both of these guys movies.......PP was unsittable esp if u have seen technically superior RGV's don movies..........Kadhal Kondein was again crass at some places........reminded of Guna atleast at 10 places while watching the movie..........i'm fortunate enuf not to have seen 7GRC.........TI, IMO is the pick of his movies...... ......at first i thot it was a C-centre blue film but after watching it on SUNTV once, i was amazed........

selvaraghavan's narration style is somewhat unique and Dark ............which makes him stand out from the rest.........

(wat happened to his hindi venture?? ......hope it never materialises )
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kannannn
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd
    After multiple viewings of all his movies, 7GRC is my favorite. The acting was pathetic though. OTOH acting was terrific in kAdhal koNdEn. I still cant convince myself that PP is a great movie. The screenplay kind of wobbles here and there and the director sure got confused as to how to end the movie.
    7G was a pretty straight forward movie. It was an overdose of emotion. OTOH PP was raw and complex. Right from the starting green tinged prison scenes (mudhal kola pannum bodhu udambula appadiye oru vesha bodhai erum. Naan dhaan ellamnu) to the end where he waits for his rival to finish his last meal, PP tied me to my seat. It is a movie that works on different layers - all of them waiting to be peeled and analysed. Every time I do that I am left spell-bound. Be it the split-screen effects or the map showing Kokki Kumar's expanding region of influence, Selva Raghavan's genius shines through. Not to mention his tribute to film makers from Coppola (PR, that's probably the aruval training scene you are talking about) to Tarantino .
    I watched the film just once and your post made me delve into the archives and see what my initial reaction was.

Am still not sure I'd use the word complex wrt PP. I am quite a miser when using the word wrt Tamil films

The aruvaal-training was a Tarantino tribute eh ? Should have guessed. enna padam ? But with Tarantino, you are kind of put in a different world. There is no attempt to reconcile with the logic and worse still morals, of the world as we know it. But I just didn't think Selvaraghavan pulled it off.

And, glad to know atleast one of us found the last meal scene riveting
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Freiburg, Fribourg, Switzerland, Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like
    the next movie of selva raghavan is with vikram

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    The aruvaal-training was a Tarantino tribute eh ? Should have guessed. enna padam ? But with Tarantino, you are kind of put in a different world. There is no attempt to reconcile with the logic and worse still morals, of the world as we know it. But I just didn't think Selvaraghavan pulled it off.

And, glad to know atleast one of us found the last meal scene riveting
    Uhh!! I meant Coppola. The scene is very similar to the one where Clemenza teaches Michael how to execute (do I sound violent?) his first kill in Godfather. Of course, not to mention the court scene, where Kokki Kumar has his wife's family menacingly surrounded by his men - a direct reference to Michael bringing the brother of one of the witnesses from Italy during the Commision's hearings in Godfather II.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Diamond Hubber selvakumar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feddy machi Thanks for opening a thread for my favorite director

I thought of starting a thread for him with a title "New Releases of SELVA" :P

--------

What to say. One of the directors who is known for simple yet powerful narration. He never uses animated graphics to show the majesty of a scene. He hardly uses foolish dialogues to portray the intensity of a scene.

Even in a simple setting, he can create scenes which will be in your mind for a long time. Just have a look at the scene in 7GRC in which Kathir speaks to his beloved who is now visible only to him.
    The intensity is something unexplainable.
    ONly a director like SELVA can create such kind of magic.

The scene in which Kathir's father breaks out when he sees the offer letter of his son and the dialogue.. " Ini oru paya solluvaan.. en pulla kaiyaalaagaathavannu "

I watch his movies in the first week itself. I travelled for more than 2 hours just to watch 7GRC.

The ONLY director who is known for bringing the best out of YSR

TI - Donno how many times this album was played in our college hostels.
    "Adi 15 ponathu 16 vanthathu thaavani paarthaen
    Meesai vanthathu, thadavi paarthaen parukkal irundathu.. Unnnlae"
    Vayathukku vantha pennae vaadi munnae
    Ilavasamaai tharuvaen endran idayam thaanae"

After this, SELVA & YSR became the hot favorites for the MIDDLE CLASS & C CENTRE youth as well A class guys

The GAP between the audio release & the movie release was high. But yet TI became one of the trendsetters of tamil cinema. HOw many movies followed TI and ended up as crap.
    Even a COMBO like Shankar + ARR couldn't beat this movie in TN

I watched TI after its 125 days celebration in Kamala theatre. Even at that time, it was 75% FULL
    One director who makes even STONES to ACT !

Having said that,
    My favorite movies would be TI and 7GRC :P
    I donno.. but i didn't like KK as much as I loved TI & 7GRC.

Songs like "Ninaithu Ninaithu", "Devathaiyai Kandaen" still looks fresh and I never get tired listening to them.

Having said that, PP was a complete let down for me. I expected a lot from PP. I went to this one in the second day itself. After the 3.75 hours, I ended up with a great disappointment. EXcept the first 90 mins, I didn't like anything in this movie. It was one of the biggest disappointments for me. Even I didn't like the songs in the movie. But felt glad when I read lot of appreciation for that from the critics.

One of the directors who will make you to watch the movie many times.

He is now planning to enter HINDI film industry. :P All the very best SELVA. Rock on !
    Ponnu Vellai tholah? illai Karuppu tholah?
    RE: Aennn.. Puli tholu..

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like
    Wealth Kumar Talks about Wealth Raghavan

Post Thanks / Like
    My Ratings on his films :

THulluvadho Ilamai -->

Kaadhal Kondein -- >

7G Rainbow Colony --> Mega Waste Film i found it to be very very boring

Pudupettai -->

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis786
    Wealth Kumar Talks about Wealth Raghavan

IF Thala has to act in a romatic love story, I would prefer SELVA at any day.
    Expecting this combo eagerly :P

Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass. - David Ogilvy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis786
    7G Rainbow Colony --> Mega Waste Film i found it to be very very boring

Pudupettai -->
    I enjoyed every bit of 7G ( 3.5 hours) !
    But again - I respect your opinion. AFAIK, 7G is the biggest hit of SELVA as ofnow

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast