Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College students killed in Virginia - Violence in US

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

College students killed in Virginia - Violence in US

The whole US is shocked and speechless by the gruesome killing of 32 people in a university which includes an Indian by name Loganathan who was a professor of that college .

Here is the news :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/V...ow/1919288.cms

WASHINGTON: The Virginia Tech University student identified as the assailant in Monday's deadly gun rampage was a South Korean immigrant who had been in the United States since 1992 and who held a green card signifying his status as a legal permanent U.S. resident, federal officials said Tuesday.

Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old English major, was listed with a home address in a suburb of Washington. Immigration records maintained by the Department of Homeland Security show that Cho was born in South Korea on Jan. 18, 1984 and entered the United States through Detroit on Sept. 2, 1992. He had last renewed his green card on Oct. 27, 2003.

University officials said he lived in a dormitory on the Virginia Tech campus, but could shed no light on a motive for the shooting spree that left 33 dead. "He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," said Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker.

Cho was found with a backpack containing a receipt for a Glock 9mm pistol that he had bought in March. Ballistics tests by the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms showed that one gun was used in Monday's two separate campus attacks that were two hours apart.

Cho's fingerprints were found on the two handguns used in both shootings, said two law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced. The serial numbers on the two weapons had been filed off, the officials said.

As a permanent legal resident of the United States, Cho was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of any felony criminal charges, a federal immigration official said.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy,

It seems buying arms in US is not that difficult like in India ! Sad to see so much violence that too in a college .

US is no longer safe haven

Post Thanks / Like
    anna,
    ..........America .......hm
    reminds me of that film Bowling for Columbine
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like
    George Bush looks totally stunned . CNN clippings show Bush searching for words to control his emotions !
    32 precious lives , COLLEGIANS , A PROFESSOR .

I dont think such a mass killing has happened ever in any other country inside a college / school .

US should review their internal laws now seems.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakeeran
    Crazy,

It seems buying arms in US is not that difficult like in India ! Sad to see so much violence that too in a college .

US is no longer safe haven
    One of the major differences bet the Republican and Democratic policies, is the possession of guns for Self-Defence!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bay A

Enna irundhalum someone so easily penetrating into a college campus and killing so many ?? This raises lot of questions on security aspects in US no ?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bay A

Enna irundhalum someone so easily penetrating into a college campus and killing so many ?? This raises lot of questions on security aspects in US no ?
    US is not really as safe as ppl proclaim! Especially certain areas... I had a personal experience myself, and it took me more than 3 months to come out of that emotional trauma... But not all places are unsafe either! Regarding possession of guns and all that, certain teenagers have their own ways of sneaking!

Post Thanks / Like
    George Bush looks totally stunned . CNN clippings show Bush searching for words to control his emotions !
    32 precious lives , COLLEGIANS , A PROFESSOR .

I dont think such a mass killing has happened ever in any other country inside a college / school .

US should review their internal laws now seems.

sorry!
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My heart felt condolences

I have this one doubt lingering in my mind for a long time. Do we need licenses to procure rifles ( air guns / air pistols) in India ? I don't think so because I have seen shops selling rifles wherein one can just walk in with money and walk out with a brand new rifle. The first time I saw these shops I was shocked because I haven't seen something like this before in Chennai. I think they don't come under firearms as they are not that lethal when compared to other weapons.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast