Post Thanks / Like
    have to introduce our
    sadu kudu / kilithaddu
    and capture CUPs
    "அன்பே சிவம்.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Sanguine Sridhar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sehwag asked to curb his aggression

Chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar has asked struggling opening batsman Virender Sehwag to curb his attacking instincts and focus on consistency.
    "He can't seem to control his exuberance. If he hits four fours in an over, he wants to hit a fifth one," Vengsarkar said on Monday.

"As one of the seniors in the team, he should be able to play longer innings." Sehwag failed to build on starts of 30 and 21 in the first two one-day internationals in Bangladesh last week which India won to take an unassailable lead in the three-match series.

The final one-dayer is on Tuesday.

"I'm disappointed with his performance," Vengsarkar told Hindustan Times newspaper.

"He has so much talent. But he's wasting it."

A fierce striker of the ball, the 28-year-old Delhi batsman made a name as a destructive batsman, but a prolonged slump in form has led to him being dropped from the Test team for the two-match series in Bangladesh starting from May 18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moody quits as Sri Lanka coach

Former Australia Test player Tom Moody has accepted a deal to coach Western Australia after rejecting an offer to remain in charge of Sri Lanka.

Moody coached Sri Lanka to the final of this year's World Cup but turned the offer of a renewed contract to return home to Australia.

"I am extremely proud of my involvement with WA cricket as a player and the success we enjoyed as a team throughout the 1980s and 1990s," Moody said in a statement released by the Western Australia Cricket Association on Monday.

"I am looking forward to working with former team mates such as Graeme Wood and Justin Langer, two men I was able to share the thrill of winning Sheffield Shield and domestic one-day titles with."

Interestingly, WACA also chose the occasion to announce its partnership with Indian industrialist Vikas Rambal and the Rambal family, who will be its first coach sponsor.

Moody brings with him Trevor Penney, who has been appointed assistant coach after two years in a similar role with Sri Lanka. WACA Chief Executive Officer Graeme Wood said securing the services of Moody and Penney was a major coup for cricket in WA.

"This is one of the most significant appointments that the Association has ever made. We have been able to secure an internationally-respected mentor with an impeccable record and in the prime of his coaching career to take the Retravision Warriors forward," Wood said.

"Tom is a legend of WA cricket and has led the state to domestic first-class and one-day titles. He brings a wealth of coaching experience after his success with Sri Lanka and Worcestershire, and will command instant respect from the Retravision Warriors squad," he said.

Wood also thanked the Rambal family and said, "It is also a measure of Tom's standing in the cricket community that the highly-regarded Rambal family would come on board with the WACA as the first coach sponsor we've had."

Vikas Rambal said his family was delighted to be involved in the landmark sponsorship with the WACA. "I believe every cricket lover in Western Australia will be delighted at the news that the Warriors will have the talents of such a sought after, international coach to steer them to success in the coming years," Rambal said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chess:

Sasikiran hangs on to joint 3rd place

A cautious Krishnan Sasikiran played it safe and split the point with former European champion Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu to hang on to joint-third place after the fifth round in the third Mtel Masters International Chess tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria.

After a debacle against Veselin Topalov in the previous round, this was sort of a recovery by Sasikiran, the lowest ranked player in the category-20 super tournament.

At the half-way stage of this six-player double round-robin tournament, twice world junior champion Shakhriyar Mamedyarov of Azerbaijan remained in sole lead with 3.5 points after signing the peace pact with Michael Adams of England, who is in sole second spot on three points after a desired result.

Sasikiran and Nisipeanu maintained their overnight status on 2.5 points while Topalov, who drew with tail-ender Gata Kamsky of the United States, is in fifth position on two points.

With five rounds still to come, Topalov, generally known to fire towards the end, is in fifth spot on two points while Kamsky, who is yet to win a game, languishes at the bottom on 1.5 points.

Nisipeanu's attempts to confuse Sasikiran by going for an irregular opening came a cropper as the Indian equalised with his black pieces in quick time in copy-book style.

The Romanian decided to go for a balanced position in the middle game itself with some regulation exchanges and Sasikiran complied to get an easy half point with the slightly unfavourable colour in the game. For the record, the game was drawn vide repetition on move 27.I

Mamedyarov, meanwhile, employed the Taimanov Sicilian and Adams went for known theoretical manoeuvres leading to a dynamically balanced position. The Englishman went for complications but Mamedyarov gave a professional display to keep white pieces at bay.

They traded pieces at regular intervals and the ensuing endgame was just level. The longest game of the day lasted 64 moves.

Topalov tried to make headway but did not succeed against a resolute Kamsky in the Queen's Indian defence game where the Bulgarian played white. A few pieces changed hands in the opening itself and while the game was heading towards level territories, Kamsky did not allow Topalov to gain any ground.

The players arrived at a rook and pawns endgame and soon the truce was signed in 43 moves.

Results (Round 5): Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu (Rom, 2.5) drew with Krishnan Sasikiran (Ind, 2.5); Veselin Topalov (Bul, 2) drew with Gata Kamsky (USA, 1.5); Michael Adams (Eng, 3) drew with Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Aze, 3.5).

Moves (Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu v/s Krishnan Sasikiran):

1. Nf3 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. Na3 a6 4. Nxc4 b5 5. Ne3 Bb7 6. g3 Nf6 7. Bg2 Nbd7 8. O-O e6 9. b3 c5 10. Bb2 Be7 11. Qc2 O-O 12. Rfd1 Qb6 13. Rac1 Rac8 14. Qb1 Rfd8 15. Qa1 Ne8 16. d4 Ndf6 17. Ba3 Ne4 18. dxc5 Nxc5 19. Bb2 Bf6 20. Ne1 Bxg2 21. Kxg2 h6 22. Nf3 Ne4 23. Rxc8 Rxc8 24. Rc1 Rd8 25. Rd1 Rc8 26. Rc1 Rd8 27. Rd1 game drawn.

Post Thanks / Like
    'Sachin can easily play for another few years'

Aminul Islam will always be remembered as Bangladesh's first Test centurion. He attained the milestone in their first Test, against India in November 2000.

Famously referred to as 'Bulbul', the 39-year-old played 39 One Day Internationals and 13 Tests between 1998 and 2002. He was captain of Bangladesh in the 1999 World Cup and led the team to that historic victory over Pakistan, which he believes is the country's "greatest moment in cricket".

Even Islam was amazed by Bangladesh's recent giant-killing run at the 2007 World Cup, but he believes the team deserved the success for the hard work it put in.

"If for some luck, we could have gone all the way to the semis; may be next time."

He was disappointed not to find his hero, Sachin Tendulkar, in the one-day squad for the ongoing series.

"Why didn't you bring Sachin and Sourav [Ganguly]?, he asked. We want to see them play."

Islam, who is into coaching nowadays, spoke with Special Correspondent Harish Kotian on eve of the second one-day international in Dhaka.

Bangladesh seems to have done well recently against India, having won two of the last four matches before this series. You also did well against India, remembering that famous century of yours in Bangladesh's first ever Test against India. Is there is extra motivation for you guys when it comes to playing India?

I think India is one of the top teams in the world and Bangladesh has always been a follower of Indian cricket. India has had so many stars like Sachin [Tendulkar], Sourav [Ganguly], Rahul [Dravid], [Javagal] Srinath, Anil Kumble and others, though it has never affected us in a match.

Bangladesh has been lucky in a way that it has always played some good cricket against India. One of the reasons for it, I think, is because both the countries have similar type of wickets and in most of the home matches we have done well against India.

It was Bangladesh's first ever Test match. How was the general mood in the dressing room?

India had a bowling side in Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan and Ajit Agarkar for that match. Bangladesh had never played a Test before so we had no idea what Test cricket was.

So I just thought of keeping on batting. I was a bit slow at the start of my innings but one good thing I did was concentration and good shot selection. I also remember that when I was 90 my partner at the other end, Khaled Mashud, told me in Bangla 'Bulbul bhai, you are close to your hundred', so then I remembered an innings from my friend in India, Pravin Amre, who scored a century in his debut Test match in Durban [in 1992].

So I was thinking that Amre had got a century in his first Test match, so even I could get a hundred in my first Test match.

Also, another memorable thing on that day was that when I completed my hundred, my hero Sachin Tendulkar came up to me, shook my hand and congratulated me. I can never forget that moment.

Your hero, Sachin Tendulkar, has come under a lot of flak recently. After a poor showing in the World Cup, there have been calls for him to retire. Do you also believe that the master batsman is past his prime?

I think Sachin has already finished his best. He is already 34 and he has got all the experience with him, scoring so many hundreds and thousands of runs in international cricket. So with the experience that he has got, if he can keep himself fit, I think he can play for another few years easily.

He can still produce match-winning performances because he has got so much experience.

I still enjoy him batting. I also enjoy Brian Lara's batting, but he now has retired. But Sachin is Sachin and he is a great player.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boxing

Pugilists return with four medals from Turkey

Indian pugilists put up a commendable show against tough competition from countries like Cuba and Russia to bag a silver and four bronze medals at the Ahmat Comert Cup International Boxing Championship, held from May 8 to 14, in Istanbul, Turkey.

While the men's team -- fielded for the first time in the event -- clinched two bronze, the women proved one better, returning with a silver and two bronze.

Olympian Diwakar Prasad (57kg) and Sanjay Kolte (48kg) bagged bronze medals in a high class field of 19 other teams, including the likes of Cuba, Russia, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.

Mandakini Chanu was the star for the women's team, bagging a silver in the 48kg category after a close final.

"I beat the European champion en route to the final, which was a very even contest. I lost narrowly but I am happy with my performance, because I was competing for the first time in this tournament," Chanu said.

The other medallists from the women's team were Renu and Aswathi Mol, who claimed bronze in the 75kg and 70kg categories respectively.

"Since it is an invitational event, we thought the competition would be manageable but we were surprised to see that all the 19 teams had fielded their best. But, overall, I am very happy with my bronze medal performance," Diwakar said.

"Ours was a mixed team comprising first-timers as well as experienced boxers and I am very pleased with their performance," women's chief coach Mahavir Singh said.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ex-India cricketer held with cocaine
    ibnlive.com | Posted May 22, 2007 at 22:19 | Updated May 22, 2007 at 23:53

New Delhi: Former Indian Test cricketer turned television commentator Maninder Singh has been arrested for possessing cocaine at his residence in the Capital on Tuesday.

The narcotics department of the Delhi Police arrested Maninder with 1.5 grams of cocaine from his Preet Vihar residence on Tuesday night after the police got a tip-off. He was being questioned by police.

A suspected drug peddler, identified as Sayam Siddique, who was with Maninder when the police raided his house, was also arrested.

Former left-arm spinner Maninder Singh, who made his India debut at the age of 17 against Pakistan in 1982-83, played 35 Tests and 59 one-day internationals for the country.

The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act makes a distinction between possession for personal consumption and trafficking, the punishment for the former being limited to between six months and one year only.

The onus is on the accused to establish that the drug in question was meant for personal consumption and not for sale or distribution.

More than 3 grams of cocaine classifies a person as peddler. A peddler gets more than 10 years jail. Below 3 grams only classifies the person as a user.

-----------------------------

He was a mainstream umpire as well for first class matches

Post Thanks / Like
    Adidas drags Nike, BCCI, Tendulkar to MRTPC

Sports goods maker Adidas dragged its rival Nike and the Board of Control for Cricket in India to the Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission over use of Sachin Tendulkar's images for endorsements when he is not playing for the country.

Accepting Adidas's petition, an MRTPC bench, headed by Justice O P Dwivedi, issued notices to Nike India, the BCCI, Tendulkar and his business managing firm Iconix, asking them to file replies within three weeks. It also asked Adidas to file a rejoinder within two weeks from the receipt of replies.

During the proceedings, Adidas alleged that Nike was violating its exclusive personal endorsement agreement with Tendulkar by using his name for promoting its products.

Adidas also argued that the BCCI granted Nike only sponsorship and licensing rights and trademarks of the batsman only while playing for the country.

Nike had won the five-year sponsorship rights for the Indian cricket team in 2005, outbidding Reebok and Adidas.

"Sachin Tendulkar is our brand ambassador since 1997 and ... [this] is in public perception not only in India but globally too... What is the basis of their right," Adidas counsel Shailendra K Kapoor said.

"Nike tried to indicate that Sachin's brand name was with them, which is an unfair trade practice by them. We are the exclusive owner of that brand name globally," he said, urging the Commission to restrain Nike from "deceiving public".

However, declining any immediate relief to Adidas, the MRTPC Bench said: "When you have waited for six months, then wait for one more month."

The matter was then posted for hearing in July.

Kapoor said Adidas had sent Nike evidence of its exclusive endorsement rights with the cricket star, including a letter written by Tendulkar. He also produced a Nike sports T-shirt before the commission bearing his name and number on its reverse.

In the letter, Tendulkar confirmed he has an exclusive deal with Adidas, and Nike has no right to use his name in individual capacity. The cricket star has also stated that Adidas's loss would also be his personal loss.

"Personal endorsement right was never subject to Nike's contract with the BCCI for sponsorship of Indian cricket squad... for that they would have to deal with the cricketers independently... This was also never denied by Nike," Adidas's counsel contended, seeking compensation from its rival.

Adidas, however, added that the company has not assessed the quantum of financial damages caused by Nike.

On being asked by the bench what was Nike and BCCI's stand on the notices issued, Adidas said they did not reply.

"Instead, Nike asked us to disclose the agreement with Sachin and all financial details of that. How can we publicly show all the financial deals.

"Nike behaved as if it was running a trial and passing orders on us. They even do not recognise Tendulkar's right with Iconix (his brand manager)," the company said, adding it was also a trademark violation case.

The counsel contended that Tendulkar and Iconix are only performa respondents and made party to the case to state before the commission that the former has exclusive personal endorsement rights with Adidas.

The BCCI has a five-year contract with Nike for the team's on-field clothing. Nike had won the sponsorship rights for the Indian cricket team in 2005 with a bid of Rs 199.66 crore, beating Reebok, whose bid stood at Rs 119.48 crore, and Adidas, who bid Rs 127.50 crore.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/irela...ry/296355.html

The three-match one-day series between India and South Africa due to take place in Belfast at the end of June is in doubt after the broadcast deal between Zee TV and the Indian board reportedly ran into difficulties.
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast