Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 of IR's ludes that you enjoyed most...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

10 of IR's ludes that you enjoyed most...

ரொம்ப நாளாச்சு இந்த மாதிரி லிஸ்ட்டிங் எல்லாம் பண்ணி...

Let us select top 10 ludes of Raja that were both good, enjoyable as well as popular. (If you can't limit, feel free to go for more but be very careful in the selections as we don't want to have anything and everything here - these will have to be top notch)

Recently in AhA FM there was a session by Bhavadharini where she chatted with Harish Raghavendra. And not so surprisingly, Harish was talking like a typical DF'er He talked about ludes (called them BGM in the beginning of a song or between saraNams), "re-recording", silence etc., much like the way DF'ers used to post here. One of the things he mentioned was something most of us can relate - vocalizing the instrumental part in Raja songs as one tries to sing in bathroom...I'm not sure whether people used to do this in the pre-IR era much...A number of Raja songs depended so much on these interspersed instrumentals that one won't have a complete feeling if they only sing the lyrical part...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great topic App Engine sir !

The one which comes to my mind immediately is :

1. Uravenum pudhiya vanil

2. Madai thirandhu

3. Nilavondru kanden

4. Padvaa un padalai

5. Poomalaye thol seravaa

6. En vaanile ore venilla

7. Andhi mazai pozigiradhu

8. Poovizi vasalil yaradi vandhadhu kiliye kiliye

9. Devathai oru devathai

10. Engengo sellum en ennangal

11. Naan pesa vandhen

12. Manadhil enna ninaivugalo

13. Devan kovil deepam ondru

14. Ponmalai pozudhu

15. Asai nenjin kanavugal valarpirai

All those above songs are my day to day ones & always I can remember the ludes by heart

More to come

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, here is my list (not in any specific order)

1. The majestic guitar postlude of 'iLaya nilA'
    -This piece needs no introduction...very popular and one of those where one waits for the ending of a very nice song. It mostly resembles the pallavi but where it strays is what's really beautiful and the tail end is very sweet. (Movie - payaNangaL mudivadhillai)

2. The classic prelude of 'rAkkammA kaiyaththattu'
    -Very popular again, even non-IR fans can identify the song when the strings start. The interesting part is, the effect continues even after the pallavi has started as the strings respond to each line of SPB (Movie -dhaLapathi)

3. The second interlude of 'madai thiRandhu'
    -அப்படியே நம்மை வானத்தில் பறக்க வைக்கும் இசைக்கோர்ப்பு...it starts slowly with just harmonium and a timing sound, a variation of the pallavi, joined by some powerful drum sounds and then comes the violins - wow - majestic ! The chorus is again of very good order with excellent bass guitar backing, smoothly leading us to the saraNam. One of those many examples where Raja gives something extra in the 2nd interlude than the first. (Movie - nizhalgaL)

4. The second interlude of 'idhu oru pon mAlaippozhudhu'
    - I used to wait for this song from AIR Trichy on Sundays when they used to play new songs at 1 PM...what a treat this interlude was...this piece alone can be developed into a full fledged instrumental track IMHO...it starts with a mild flute / jaladharangam sounds and then runs like a sweet stream...when it reaches the single violin phase we're already in a different world. Raja's presence of mind adds a quick, short, multi string conclusion to bring us back to 'vAnam enakkoru bOdhi maram'...என்ன சுகமான அனுபவம்
    (Movie - nizhalgaL)

5. The second interlude of 'nee dhAne endhan pon vasantham'
    -I'm not so happy about the amount of recognition this got, though this whole album was a big hit despite the dismal failure of the movie. pani vizhum & rOjavaiththAlAttum were more popular and adorable, but this part is the cream IMHO, showcasing the enormous talent of Raja...It's got to be some powerful string instrument that plays the lead melody, supported by excellent orchestration and the brilliant / mirattal guitar sound is the plum on the cream! (Movie - ninaivellAm nithyA)

Five more to follow...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear app,
    NIce topic. Thanks a lot.

my picks

1.Annakili unnai thedudhae - SJ in humming, key board, flute , violin idhu ellam dhan first manadhil ninradhu. appuram dhan song. Indha prelude aiyae paatu madhiri kashta pattu manapadam seidhu iruken.(Appo ellam radio la mattum dhan ketka mudiyum.......)

2.Vizhiyilae malarndhadhu - what a song !!!!

pattai vida ludes dhan manadhil ninradhu...ippadi sollum podhae bgms dhan ninaivil varugiradhu.Especillay THE GREAT SOUNDS of VIOLIN and FLUTE...

3.Agaya gangai poondhen malar cholai

4.paada vandhadhor gaanam paavai kannil or nanam

5.Manadhil enna ninaivugalo - Preludes um interludes um tune ai gavanika vidamal nammai adhan pokirkku izhuthu kondu pogum.

6.Nyaan nyaan adanam - indha padalum paatai gavanika vidamal - ludes aiyae gavanika vaikum.
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    6. The first interlude of 'thoongAdha vizhikaL reNdu'
    -What a classic continuation from the vocals. Few will keep up the pace and racy like this one, so homogenously attached. Well, there'll be surprise varitions as it progresses and ends nicely to start the saraNam which follows a different percussion pattern from pallavi. (Movie - agni natchaththiram)

7. The gorgeous preludes of 'mAnguyilE poonguyilE' (both versions are great) I love the one for SPB version more. Starts with the mELam and then comes the beautiful, mesmerising nAdhaswaram piece sugar coating a nAttuppuRa mettu, ending with a combo of nAyanams to pave way for the majestic voice of SPB. Even someone who listens to movie songs rarely can identify the song within a couple of seconds of nAdhaswaram...(Movie - karakAttakkAran)

8. The first interlude of iLamai idhO idhO
    -This song has 3 stanzas and the sound track alone (suitable for karOke) was released at the time of release of movie / audio. This part is the best IMHO and I can listen to the powerful trumpet pieces, guitar work and solo violin sound any number of times. Raja at his youthful, innovative & janaranjaga mood! (Movie - sakalakalA vallavan)

9. Prelude of 'EdhO mOham'
    -Much has already been written about this by experts and I can hardly add any So sweet! Impressing people like PM & RDB with this, Raja has scored a piece with which we'll identify him for years to come (Movie - kOzhi koovuthu)

10. Last interlude of 'vizhiyilE malarndhadhu'
    -AhA, what a lovely stream of surprises! It reminds me of a thuLLal aruvi! with IR's signature country drums backing up an exotic concoction of strings, flute, clarinet and guitar and the speed of a race horse, this piece can inspire anyone instantaneously! (Movie - BhuvanA oru kELvikkuRi)

It's tempting to keep going for more of these...very difficult to stop at 10..can't stop even at 100...may be for later...

Post Thanks / Like
    Nakkeeran, Usha Chechi - nice contributions!

A small request...if you can also add info like which interlude or prelude that you pick, it would be more interesting

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Emotive second interlude of 'dhoorathil naan kanda....' & 'chinna kannan azhaikiraan...'- kavikkuyil, janaki's solo wisk me into the world of fantasy, early IR treasures!
    Awesome picks guys!

Senior Member Regular Hubber Vkrish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    App_Engine: I observed these words (BGM, Ludes etc) very often used by both Bhava and Purushothaman in his interview. Interestingly his voice was very youthful and I was even wondering who could this guy be, till he said that he worked with Raja for about 850 films. I think his interview lasted for some 5 day sessions..where he narrated so many interesting incidents on songs such as sound effects of "Paruvame Puthiya Padal", Multiple Live track recording without vocals for "Ilamai Itho Itho" and many of his drums based songs. When prompted with the question of his most interesting orchestration his choice was "Etho Moham..", and most challenging song for him as a Percussion player was interludes of "Raja Rajadhi" from AgniNak (which had just 3 persons on the recording) and final interlude & postludes of "Megam Kottatum".

There was one interesting query to Puru to recall his most unforgettable moment, after a pause, he said that this should be the song "Matha Unn Koilil..." by SJ, where she could not continue after the first interlude and she was all in tears, and when in the second take, there was silence from the entire interlude session where all of them were on tears, literally moved by something in the tune, which they cud'nt express ! The recording was postponed..Wow, Great Interview!!

Right now there is one more program going on conducted by Gangai Amaran which is too very interesting, and here he even casually remarks about the artists who handled the instruments.

Ohhh...sorry for the deviation...and here goes my choice

1. When digging out for of ludes of IR, the one instantly strikes me for the top slot is "Poongattru Puthiranathu" or its sister version "En Vaanile Ila Nenje Vaa" from old tresurebox.

2. Ohh Vasantha Raja ... watch out for the 2nd interlude

3. Onathhumbathhoru Unnzahl .... A simple but attractive prelude from film of "Pappayude Swantham Appus"
    http://www.raaga.com/channels/malaya.../M0000536.html

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear VKrish,
    Thanks for the song " Olathumpathu"
    My alltime most favourite song in my life.The LYRIC is V.V.V.V.V.V.GOOD..

Beautiful LUDES....
    Usha Sankar

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber swathy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good topic but its really difficult to pick 10. let me try my level best to prepare my list
    pala
    vedikkai manidharaip pole - naan
    veezhve nendru ninai thayo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast