Thread: interview-H H UTRADOM THIRUNAL MARTHANDA VARMA-

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

interview-H H UTRADOM THIRUNAL MARTHANDA VARMA-

Tempered with sobriety, the Sathabhishekam of His Highness Uthradom Tirunal Marthanda Varma was celebrated recently. The family has not recovered from the shock of the bereavement of two loving personalities in last December. Thus a function which ought to have created jubilation in the family went off as a low key affair.

At the Pattom Palace His Highness clad in simple traditional attire reminisced a few precious moments from his life. He talked about his parents, beloved brother and sister, his mentor, his wife, his meetings with great personalities, his penchant for the frozen frames and his passion for horse riding.

“My mother Her Highness Sethu Parvathi Bayi was a dynamic person. She was the pillar of strength. Her intellectual prowess, artistic grace, empathy and farsightedness, had created indelible impression in the history of Travancore. My father, Ravi Varma Kochu Koil Thampuran of Kilimanur was a great Sanskrit scholar. He always addressed me midukkan and was extremely happy and proud when I secured first rank and gold medal in B A” said His Highness.

“My childhood was unusual. Being the Elayaraja of Travancore I was taught at the School House located within the Kaudiar palace premises. I was a lazy student. Chitira Tirunal my elder brother appointed S N Ure a British Lieutenant to mould me. He changed my attitude towards my studies and later I established a life long relationship with S N Ure as a teacher-cum-friend. He trained me in tennis, golf, and horse riding. We staged several plays. He was awarded the prestigious military cross for his valuable in the British Army. He presented me a Germen rifle confiscated by him during the First World War. I always maintain a high regard for S N Ure.”
    My mother and brother were high disciplinarians. They took immediate action if they see any misdeed. One day I beat Narayanan, one of the palace servants. My brother ordered me to apologize in the presence of nearly 250 Palace employees. Whatever little pride and pomp I had as a royal family member was thus nipped in the bud.”

“Discovering my penchant for the frozen frames my brother presented me a Leica camera in 1935 which to this day, I am in possession of. My love for horses started very early in life. My brother brought for me a fine well groomed horse. Riding Rakush was an enjoyable experience. Rakush contracted rabies and mercy killing was proposed. Before the bullets end her dear life she just collapsed. Otherwise I would have carried the guilt all through my living years.”
    “As a child I had a strong desire to posses a watch. I made neat cut outs from the catalogues and tied them on my wrist. Sir C P who noticed this presented me a Rolex Prince gold watch” narrated His Highness how he was in possession of his first watch.

“I have visited 23 countries. On one of my visits I met Agatha Christie, at her residence. Over cucumber salad and Chinese tea we talked for an hour. The author later sent her then latest book the Pale Horse, which forms one my valuable possessions. I have met personalities like Queen Elizabeth, Somerset Maugham, Jacqueline Kennedy, the Roreichs, Dr. C V Raman, Lord Mountbatten, French President Georges Pompidou, Dalai Lama, Ma Ananda Mayi and Roselyn Rosner.

“I bestowed pattum parivattavum to Radha Devi, on 5th of September 1945. She was a multifaceted personality. She was trained in art by the renowned artist R C Choudry and in veena by Mysore Doraiswamy Iyengar. She designs jewels and furniture. She was a voracious reader and staunch devotee of Lord Siva. We have two children Parvathidevi and Ananthapadmanabhan.”

“In 1952 I ventured into commercial activity based at Bangalore. My stay at Bangalore never stood in the way of my presence at Kaudiar and for all temple festivals. Then I worked for Plymouth as a peon, clerk and driver-for the first hand exposure at every level of functioning of a factory.”

“My sister Karthika Tirunal’s Pallikettu with Col.Goda Varma Raja, was a great event. Col Tirumeni was a multifaceted personality and a keen sportsman. He brought the Tennis legends of his time Tilden, Cachet, Davidson and Emerson to Thiruvananthapuram. This real aristocrat was at heart a commoner.”

“The Royal family of Travancore represents the Chera Dynasty. The position of Lord Padmanabha in the history of Travancore is well known. My ancestors ruled the State on behalf of the Deity by assuming the title Padmanabhadasa which literally implies ‘in the service of Lord Padmanabha.’ Thus the Lord was not only the presiding deity but also the Sovereign of the State of Travancore as well. The reference of this temple can be found in the Puranas. Travancore had a hoary tradition which can be traced to the days of Mahabharatha. The Chera King Perumchotudayan Cheralathan is said to have participated in the battle of Kurukshetra” explained His Highness.

A familiar sight in the capital city is the arrival of the head of the Travancore royal family every day to the Padmanabha temple. He is greeted by well wishers, and the residents continue to pay homage to Sri Padmanabhadasa, who also represents a hoary monarchial tradition.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    -deleted by self-

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lambretta,
    Please do not joke.
    Uthraadam Thirunaal married Radha Devi thamburatty in 1945. Gopika Verma would not be born then! (Do you mean the actress, right?)

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

actress gopika and dancer gopika varma are two different persons

Post Thanks / Like
    I admire H H U T M Varma.
    Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw Padmanabha ma'm, I wanted to ask u- do u know if HH UTM Varma happens to own ne vintage/classic cars??
    Erstwhile Royal families r known to hav owned exotic vintage cars & some of them still do....

Here r 2 well-preserved cars formerly owned by the Nizam of Hyderabad (u wud've heard of him):

http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ford01vo8.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dodge04rs6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody answered my question....

Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Btw Padmanabha ma'm, I wanted to ask u- do u know if HH UTM Varma happens to own ne vintage/classic cars??
    Erstwhile Royal families r known to hav owned exotic vintage cars & some of them still do....

Here r 2 well-preserved cars formerly owned by the Nizam of Hyderabad (u wud've heard of him):

http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ford01vo8.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dodge04rs6.jpg