Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Pa' or 'Ba' varisai Directors

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

'Pa' or 'Ba' varisai Directors

Once 'Pa' series movies of Nadigar Thilagam directed by Beemsing were very famous (Palum Pazhamum ,Pava Mannippu ,Padiththal mattum pothuma ,Pasa Masal ,Parththal Pasi Theerum ,Pachai Vilakku etc)

Then comes 'பா' series directors ,who became very successful and changed the face of Tamil cinema..Balu Mahendra ,Bharathi Raja ,Bhagya Raj ,Pandiya rajan ,Parthipan .Interestingly except Balu Mahendra ,all others from Bharathi raja tree.

Shall we discuss the significance of these 'பா வரிசை இயக்குநர்கள்'?
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Pa' or 'Ba' varisai Directors

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Then comes 'பா' serious directors ,who became very successful and changed the face of Tamil cinema..Balu Mahendra ,Bharathi Raja ,Bhagya Raj ,Pandiya rajan ,Parthipan .Interestingly except Balu Mahendra ,all others from Bharathi raja tree.

Shall we discuss the significance of these 'பா வரிசை இயக்குநர்கள்'?
    Interesting thread.

I'd won't call all of them 'serious' directors. But they were serious about their work alright.

If you step back, you will find one K. Balachander, but he was Bhim Singh's contemporary, in a way.
    Here's my view.

Balu Mahendra
    Great promise. His Mundram Pirai was a big eye opener and finally got Kamal the big prize. His greatest contribution has to be Veedu. Brilliant storytelling.

Still known for his cinematography (did brilliant work for Mahendran, he later became obsessed about the topic of one man with a wife and an affair. There was Rettai Vaal Kuruvi, Marupadiyum and Sathi Leelavathi. Still living with 'certain' guilt, I'd say.
    We are still waiting for something great from him. But one should not deny he is part of the great landmarks of Tamil film industry.

Bharathi Raja
    Another milestone director in the industry. Forever known for taking the camera out of the studio and move it right smack in the real villages, his contributions extends those well known attributes connecting him with the expose of real rural life. I'd like to thank him for some of the good thrillers he has made, namely Sigappu Rojakkal and Tik, Tik, Tik. These two certainly influenced a once-great director Manivannan. His collaboration with Ilayaraja and later Vairamuthu is stuff made in legend. His last great work, to me, is Karuthamma. After that, I'm waiting.

Bhagya Raj
    Bhagyaraj made damned good Bagyaraj films. Brillaint scripts. He is still known as good scriptwriter. Some of his earlier films are brilliantly funny, still do. Watch Indru poi Nalai Vaa and you will still burst out laughing. His Mundhanai Mudhichu did wonders for Murunggakkai business. Like Woody Allen, he started become serious...and a bit self conscious. Wigs and make up came into picture and he became victim of time. The public did not need Bagyaraj starrers anymore. But his Parijatham got good reviews. Haven't seen it, will soon. Hope he makes a comeback.

Pandiya rajan
    Cho recently gave one of the biggest credit to Pandyarajan, calling him the only hero who is also a comedian...after the classic star TR. Ramachandran. Pandyarajan, like Sathyaraj, is not extremely talented, but he is around. Amazing. His first film, Aan Paavam, was a quality material, and since then he has been using his 'moozhi" to make a living. He's still at it.

Parthipan
    An enigma. A promise when he burst into the scene with Puthiya Pathai (purpotedly written for Kamal), he has his cycle. Occasionally comes with brilliant stuff, but most of the time he seems to be waiting like
    a coiled snake waiting to strike. Not a great contributor, but a good writer.

There, spur of the moment writeup. I may have more opinion, but we shall discuss later.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho,
    Nice Post

How did you miss to mention 'Muthal Mariyathai' for BR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho,
    Nice Post

How did you miss to mention 'Muthal Mariyathai' for BR?
    Muthal Mariyathai is a great movie. But BR alone is not responsible.

First, of course, you had a great story. The lead character needed someone prominent. Someone with great presence. Someone who can bring with him a history of powerful performance. Let's consider people who had worked with BR up to that time. He can't use any of them. Not even Vijayan or other 'matured' actor. Who do you use? Jai Shankar? Ravichandran?

You have no option but to use NT. Until then, people were so used to seeing this overweight, ageing actor in ridiculous wig and makeup, doing roles that does not resonate with someone his age and weight.

NT had that courage to do this role. It takes a lots of humility to do it. To neglect makeup (except moustache); to appear in drab costume; to have the character constantly humiliated by his wife. NT's history makes us symphatise with this character. NT brought out the humility, the humour; and the emotions of a caged animal so well. The yearning for love; the way he sees it in Kuyil; his love/hate relationship with his own family.

Tell me, who else can bring it out?

So, BR got himself a great story, and most importantly a great actor. Then, you have Ilayaraja, who did one of his best work in both the songs and background score. Any composer moving to rural areas will find himself subconsciously copying Ilayaraja. Of course, his songs became more powerful with Vairamuthu's line that understood the emotions of the character and the ambience very well.

So, I don't think BR alone is reason for the success of the movie. All you have to do is think of anyone else in NT's role. It would have been a good movie, but not a classic.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho,
    Agreed with you ..But BR himself told that If NT wouldn't agree to do this role ,he would have droped the movie itself ,since he made the story with NT in mind ,and the title 'Muthal Mariyathai' is not just for the story ,it is BR's muthal mariyathai to NT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice post (as usual) Groucho.

Some of them are big sweep. Hope you find time for more elaborate posts on each of them.

KB moved snatched the torch from Sridhar and sprinted. He must have really taken the world by storm back then. In terms of style and range and sheer prolificity KB's filmography is remarkable. The gradual movement of KB films from stage-style and his phases merit elaborate mention.

All said, the film that changed the equations in Tamil Cinema was 16 vayathinilE. It kind of shook up what we saw on screen. But IMO the crucial turn was the shift in emphasis from story and dialogue to screenplay and visuals. It is in this respect that this movie is historic. The transition from say the MKT times to Sridhar's conversation, recast the verbal element. BUt it was still words words and words. 16V turned things upside down. I remember Kamal once saying that it was this film that gave people like Balu MAhendra to make films in Tamil (he was so long associated with Kerala film industry that many thought he was a Keralite !)
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    how abt "ma" series - Mahendran and Maniratnam??
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    how abt "ma" series - Mahendran and Maniratnam??
    You are right Prabhu Ram, 16 Vayathinile is indeed a grounbreaking movie. It opened up the possibilities for colour cinematography, hence Mahendran and Balu Mahendra's films.

Maddy,

Manirathnam has his own dedicated thread. But I wonder what happened to Mahendran. Brilliant director. He did few good films and then? What happened to his Sasanam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    What happened to his Sasanam?
    I beleive Sasanam released already ,but failed to get attention ,no impact

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber villan007's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I beleive Sasanam released already ,but failed to get attention ,no impact
    AV was full of praises for this movie ... shud be gud

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast