Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PASSING THE LEGACY FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT !!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

PASSING THE LEGACY FROM ONE GENERATION TO THE NEXT !!!

Guys, this might sound ridiculously silly ... But I have been having a hard time in the recent past thinkin abt how the current kids and youth have been totally arguing and debating about how whatever has been happening in today's Tamil cinema world is prolly the best in terms of Directors, movies, actors, Music directors, Singers, actresses, etc etc, with us (a little older by a decade maybe) .. Some of the arguments we have seen in maybe the last year or two have been like these ....

Manirathnam - Is he the best? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Gowtham, Selvaragavan, Bala, etc ... And we've had similar conversations with fans of KB, SPM, Mahendran, etc...

Shankar - Is he a great commercial director? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Hari, Dharani, and some even mentioned SJ Suryah as a better commercial director ... And we've had similar conversations with fans of such directors in the 70s and 80s, cant name any now...

AR Rahman - Is he the best? We say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Harris Jayaraj, YSR, VidhyaSagar, etc ... And we're still having similar conversations with fans of IR and they with fans of MSV ...

SPB - Is he the best? A lot of us say YES, a lot of them say NO! They say Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, or even Karthik as the best ... And we had a similar debate last year about SPB or TMS being better ...

Rajinikanth - Is he the biggest mass hero? We say YES, they say NO! It's Vijay ... And we're still having similar conversations with MGR fans ...

Kamalhassan - Is he the best actor? We say YES, they say NO! It could be Vikram or Surya or Ajith ... And we are still having conversations with Sivaji fans ...

Actresses - We say SriDevi as the best! Some argued Simran is better than her ... Maybe now some will say Trish or Asin is better ...

So all these discussions have been around who's the best, which era they belonged to, whose growth was better, who will attain a bigger status in a given period of time, etc etc ... Clearly this is the result of the generation that each one grows up witnessing, and that gen becomes the best by default!

Though we are comparing apples and oranges by talkin abt ppl in different generations, it becomes a little harder for ppl from the previous generations to accept the PASSING THE BUCK concept to the next generation to be honest ...

Now I am not sure how I'm gonna moderate this thread, or I dont even have a clear agenda of the kind of conversations we should have around here! But what we clearly do not want is saying ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER ... Instead if we could talk about how the LEGACY could be transferred from one generation to another, or how it was done maybe in the 70s, that will be awesome I think!

To make a very simple start, maybe people can try answering the question,

Why is it so hard to see your favorites being written off as time moves forward? Or why is it so hard when your seniors rule out your favorites saying they are not there yet, and have a long way to go!

Provide some INSIGHT guys !!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bay, a very tough question to answer, indeed. I think I should be a spectator

But as far as music goes, I equally appreciate IR, ARR and YSR But I cant do the same when it comes to actors

Post Thanks / Like
    Nerd, I know, it's too ABSTRACT! I know I'm not gonna get too many interpretations here! But I still wanted to present something that has been bothering me on the table, for ppl who also can relate to it! But I think you should really take another shot in explaining your stance!

Senior Member Senior Hubber nickraman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you joking? Simran? Acting? That's like saying Vijay will stop doing masala films.

Do you even know the reason she backed out of Mani Ratnam's Aayutha Ezhathu? It was shot in sync and Simran's known for being "dubbed" in every movie that she backed out. People liked her for her body, not talent. Right now, no one doesn't deserve the title of best actress, as all their roles in movies suck and are routine fare (yes Shriya fans, unless she boasts tamil, she's a no-no.)

Ditto to Rajni. What does it take to get a megastar to do "different" themes. It's no reason why people like megastar Mammoty and Amitabh Bachchan get national awards for their acting talent. Sure they've done masalas, but not for every...freaking...movie! And people wonder why he gets box office success. Why? Fandom....yes...the fan club. The same applies to Thala, Simbhu, insert mass hero here.

The same goes for Vijay. Quit with the remaking and butchering good telugu movies for your image purposes. It's no wonder that Mani Ratnam's GURU is whipping the box office. Sify claims that it's first, but from the latest collections, Pokirri slipped post Pongal on monday while GURU got 10 more percent = 92 percent attendance. Bottom line: Leave the remaking to Ravi and you...just...do movies like Sachien and maybe.....just maybe...there'll be hope for you.

Vikram's versitle, Surya's an amateur, Vishal's beginning.
    "aaj ka mera hey, kalka thera hey, side-dish pagoda hey, ye hey life hey"

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Kollywoodfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with bay for the most part.
    Condolences to family/friends of Heath Ledger: a rising star, whose life was tragically cut short

Senior Member Senior Hubber mareen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NIcram ur always giving -ve points abt Vj .. we all know u dont like him but answer Bay's ques not Provoke us Vijay fans
    Supports VJ's new beginning

Oru Nal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEZLrR9jfUc

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....Life has to move on bay .....

Senior Member Regular Hubber manmadan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mareen
    NIcram ur always giving -ve points abt Vj .. we all know u dont like him but answer Bay's ques not Provoke us Vijay fans
    hes a looser
    i also realised he always pulls negative things about vijay which ever thread he goes to
    LiFe Is LiKe a CiRcLe jeikaporavan thorkalam, thorkaporavan jeikalam, its all in the GAME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nickraman
    Are you joking? Simran? Acting? That's like saying Vijay will stop doing masala films.
    Nick, I just pointed out the kind of conversations/arguments we have been facing in the last year or two ...

BTW, I can really not understand who you really like! You always keep bashing ppl... I've never seen you appreciate anybody yet! Pls try to give my question a shot... Trust me, it will be sooo cool to hear diff opinions on this issue!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer
    ....Life has to move on bay .....
    I know! Maybe it's time for me to change my avtar too!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast