Thread: straight from the powder-room

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

straight from the powder-room

“A good make up is something which never reveals itself” said Chamayam Ramu a popular make-up man who is working in the film industry for the past five decades.

Ramu’s brothers were theatre personalities and he watched them in the green room. In 1963 I did make for a stage program organized by CMGH School Poojappura. Since then the Govt College and Govt cotton girl’s high school started inviting me for the annual festivals” he said.
    In those days popular make up men never used to reveal their trade secrets hence Ramu had to depend on books. “When I went to Chennai I realized that the knowledge I acquired was different” he confesses.

He worked for Trisandya (Hindi) starring Waheeda Rehman.Swayamvaram was his first Malayalam film. I have worked with Aravindan and Padmarajan said Ramu who had worked for 67 films. I will go through the scripts to conceive the characters. Then I discuss with the director and cameraman and decide the make up required. Ramu would be always with the camera man throughout the shooting.
    Ramu says that the make-up does not stop with the face alone. I have to be conscious of the hair do, costumes and jewelry. That is why it is called Chamayam” he informed.

How is the make for a B &W film different from a color film?

Working for a b & w film is not easy. Here the color ranges between black and white.The make man has to visualize the out come. In B &W films the lips of the characters are black for instance. In swayamvaram, I did not apply lipstick. Sarada insisted, but I refused. You can see the difference” he said.

According to Ramu, actress put on airs. Even after perfect make up, they themselves give a final touch. This irritates me. Thilakan and Nedumudi Venu are very co-operative” he remarked.

About the make up in Avvai shanmukhi and Indian, he said that Latex make up was used. He appreciated Kamal Hassan effort and devotion but was quick to pint out the flaws in the make up. “When Kamal delivers dialogues his facial muscle does not move. That is a flaw” he pointed out.

About the quality of the cosmetics he is of the opinion that Indian ones lack quality. German products last long. “It is an art as well as a science. I conduct courses on make up but women who attend this course limit themselves to beauty parlors” he said.

Ramu criticized the make up of chemmen. Manju warrier’s make up in Kanmadam was exemplary.
    “In chemmen the make up did not suit the real fisher woman. How can you expect a fisher woman with eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara and lipstick?” he asked.
    “Simply pampering the face cream and powder is not make-up. In those days the make up men were not educated. They never went through the script. Through make up they make the person and not the character look gorgeous” he commented.

“I am engaged in bringing a book comprising manuscripts of 100 famous people from all walks of life who are not with us now. The next will be a life long mission. I will be making 160 models of people from Kerala including characters from Kathakali theyyam and the like” he said.
    Ramu is of the opinion that make up artistes are not given due recognition and encouragement. The state government is not conferring award for the best make up man every year- he resented.
    (June 21 2003 THE NEW INDIAN EXPRESS)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement