Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Album of the week

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ThirudA thirudA is my most favorite ARR album till date, easily. And its arguably one of his best ever. The tracks in the order of my preference

Putham pudhu boomi -- Best song from the Mano + ARR combo. Actually I like ALL the songs from this *rare* combo. Mano rocks especially in the lines sontha Agayam vENdum. jOdi nilavonru vENdum

Thee Thee - Just mindblowing music intertwined with some amazing lyrics. The interludes in this song are amazing

rAsAthi
    - Shahul hameed's magical voice. Very good chorus which doesnt hinder the flow of the song.

veerapANdi kOttayilE -- Fantastic percussions and a great dance number.

chandralEkA -- Amazing prelude. Electrifying and thats probably the highest pitch a female singer can take

kaNNum kaNNum -- A fun song with funny lyrics. very good interludes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thiruda..thiruda:

ARR's BEST work till date. The freshness, the arrogance of youth were all in the fore in this album. After Roja, and pudhiya mugam, I was also one of the people who thot this guy would fade away after giving two interesting albums, and when I first heard the album (It was in Binaka geethamalai, i first heard veera pANdi kOttayilE) I was bowled over.

After the first listen, chandralekha was my fav, and hated rAsathi. Thee thee ( i knew the jathi was a lift from his own work for tantex vests & briefs ad - Maris complex in trichy, screening thiruda..thiruda, unfortunately had the ad played just before the movie started, exposing arr )was my second fav. Then came the Thiruda..thiruda chase theme...for a 11'th std kid (me), it was a very exciting score.

As I kept listening to it, the order became...

1. Puththam pudhu bhoomi: One of the most refreshingly original numbers by arr. One piece of work (apart from bombay theme) that shows he can do a good job in WC. Lyrics were good, and the picturization was good too.
    2. Chandralekha: Anupama takes the song to a different plane by her singing. a very good sound engineering, along with great arrangement, makes this a fantastic number.
    3. thee..thee: Purely for percussion, and the jathis. A more manly & clear voice (SM, may be)wud've done wonders to this song.
    4. rAsAthi: The flow of the song is amazing.There's no single moment where you feel you need an interlude. A very innovative number.

the other two were decent numbers.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With Thiruda Thiruda i think mani started a new way of marketing trend....till the movie was released in oct 1993, the radio was repeatedly broadcasting only the veerapandi kottaiyile song if i remember correct and making it a super hit bfore the movie got released.... Once the movie released naturally the other better songs in the film over took veerapandi kottaiyile

inniku kettalum fresh ah irukkara sooooooooooooooperb songs thiruda thiruda la.....one can never believe the album came 14 years ago

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    this album's songs were really barrier breaking -

Chandralekha featured in MTV (that time MTV was only in US and used to telecast in US only)......dunno whether it was the first indian film song to do so.....

veera paandi song was the first tamil song which featured in "super hit muqabla" which was a very popular countdown show in North India that time.....

Raasathi had no instrumentation support.........which was answer to his critics that he can give songs without instrument support.....

Thee thee had a person called Jathi raja for jathis in the song......that Jathi raja was none other than ARR

in all TT was a real path breaker in 90's/......wish ARR gives such albums to send the copy cats packing out of TF.....
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Dragun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    Raasathi had no instrumentation support.........which was answer to his critics that he can give songs without instrument support.....
    There was a bass guitar that popped up occasionally, but it just provided a basic beat, not a melodic bass line.

Thee thee had a person called Jathi raja for jathis in the song......that Jathi raja was none other than ARR
    I don't think so. It doesn't sound like ARR.

Chandralekha sounds so amazing its hard to believe that it is 14 years old! It still sounds extremely fresh.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rayan36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragun

Chandralekha sounds so amazing its hard to believe that it is 14 years old! It still sounds extremely fresh.
    Ahead of its time Dragun, nobody does it better

As far as I remember, THee Thee was the least preferred song in TT when it was released because other songs Kannum Kanum, Veerapandi, Chandralekha outshined as time goes by Thee Thee became the best, Rahman's slow poison I think

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    dragun,
    In one of the interviews arr reluctantly agreed that he was indeed jathi raja.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Dragun's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are right, it is ARR's voice doing the "ma pa ni sa ni sa" part, but the "thakathimi thakathimi..." part sounds like someone else.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is one excellent review from Arvind Srinivasan,

http://arvindsrinivasan.blogspot.com...a-thiruda.html

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber lancelot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [tscii]This is one of my all time favorite albums. Specially the song Rasathi, what an amazing song. I still don’t know who sings that song. What an amazing and refreshing voice. It’s simply amazing.
    Then the theme song. its just to die for.
    I got this new pair of Koss headphones. and this album sounds great in them.

iv only mentioned 2 of my favorites in this album, but all the other songs are also just amazing. Chandraleka, Kannum Kannum and Veerapandi are just as good.

One of the best albums of all time.
    the first time I listen to this album I thought it must be very new (After Alaipayuthe) and then realized later that this was older. this album sounds new even today

hats off to the great A. R. Rahman

btw.. does anyone know why i get a tag. it makes all my font small...pls PM me

hehe
    Sadhakallahu Nabiyul Kareem - A R Rahman

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast