Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Album of the week

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This album of ARR should hold a special place in TFM history. For a storyline which transcends 50 years, he gave songs resembling each decade.

One thing to note is, Mani Ratnam never uses timeline in the movie (like placing titles "5 years later"). Instead he uses the songs which represent the appropriate period.

A great album is an understatement

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Guess_Me's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    An old article on Iruvar soundtrack from dhwanii.com:

(Abbreviations used : ARR - AR Rahman, IR - Ilaiyaraja, MR - Maniratnam, BR-Bharathiraja, HH - Hariharan, UK - Unnikrishnan, BJ - Bombay Jaishree, TMS - TM Sounderrajan, MSV - MS Vishwanathan, KVM - KV Mahadevan)

If I remember correct this is Rehman s FIRST period movie. Rumours were thick that Maniratnam wanted to go back to IR since Rehman is a Keyboard-kid and IR is a master of period music.(Dinamalar - Thunukku Mootai even wrote about the never-happened meeting between MR & IR) .But i was sure about two things :

1. Rehman is an unknown quantity in this area but he is the only one who manages to visualize the script better.
    The jingles world would have certainly taught him how to compose music to suit the mood of the visuals.

2 .Save for the "Naan Sirithal" (Nayagan) song, IR has not exhibited the full grasp of the PERIOD concept. Even in that song. using the vocals of MS Rajeswari was the one factor that gave the PERIOD feel.The BR-Karthik-Ranjita period movie - Nadodi Thendral with music by IR was a diaster. So Mani has the only option and that was Rehman.

The cassette was on. HH & chorus start "Vi-Du-Tha-Lai". No..No..No..something was missing.Vairamuthu was the one to falter with inane lyrics in this song. But the Jazz arrangements pacified me.

When Asha finishes "Vennila" I could imagine Vennira Aadai Nirmala in her tights and sleeveless trying to seduce MGR (in his black pant & Red shirt). Bingo..I am in 1966. The time machine has started.

Narumugaye ..what UK and BJ ? I expected PBS voice to recreate a "Neeyo Nano". Has Rehman made a mistake ? Vinayakram's ghatam then gently reminds me the typical Rehman homework. Naatai weds Maand. Now I am in 1950.

Arvind Swami's metallic voice then reminds me that VM has woken up. Shanmugasundram (the stage artist) with a good voice and proper tamil pronounciation would have been my choice. A mild disappointment. But i did not know who is gonna act in the movie...probably Swami himeslf.

Aayirathil Naan oruvan by Mano - oh ! Not TMS ?! When Mano (never once my favourite) paints "Kunintha Ullam thunithu vittal" ...wait ..wait i have listented to a similar emphatic voice singing similar lines. Yeah ! I recollect ! It was TMS for MGR !

MSV-TKR have done immortal MGR songs. But "Mama" KVM had sneaked in one with "Unnai Arinthal" from Vettaikaran.

To get a complete 60s picture, you cannot leave out KVMs MGR songs.Yes..now the mood has absolutely set in.
    I am in 1965 near Goa with thousands of Junior artists - Jayalalitha, Nambiar, Nagesh & Madhuri with MGR.

Suseela starts "Poongodiyin"...but the cover says "Sandhya". As the song develops, I recheck the cover. Is MSV a guest composer ? When the song getst over, automatically my hand reaches for the rewind button. This song is a perfect tribute to 1960s, the greatest period for Tamil films.

Now Iknow that ARR has understood the PERIOD concept but i have to wait to find out whether MR & Suhasini have really understood it. The suspense was over only after 6 months when i came back to TN. MR has to do a lot of explaining to fans ...ARR fans ..for he would have been left with few of his own after this movie.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemaster1982
    To listen online

Track listing:

1. Kannai Katti - Hariharan
    2. Hello Mister Edirkatchi - Harini
    3. Narumugaye - Unni Krishnan & Bombay Jayashree
    4. Venilla Venilla - Asha Bhosle
    5. Ayirathil Naan Oruvan - Mano
    6. Poo Kudiyil Punnagai - Sandhya

Let's discuss
    Thanks Senthil for the link. After last night's ASS show, I badly wanted to listen to KaNNai katti koLLAthE - but en system'la antha pAttu irukkala. I had all songs from Iruvar except this. Don't know how it got missed

The cassette was on. HH & chorus start "Vi-Du-Tha-Lai". No..No..No..something was missing.Vairamuthu was the one to falter with inane lyrics in this song. But the Jazz arrangem ents pacified me.
    I didn't get this exactly.. enna solla varrAr author?

Arvind Swami's metallic voice then reminds me that VM has woken up. Shanmugasundram (the stage artist) with a good voice and proper tamil pronounciation would have been my choice. A mild disappointment. But i did not know who is gonna act in the movie...probably Swami himeslf.
    Ithuvum puriyala
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Masterpiece!!! For that matter all MR songs. Vairamuthu's lyrics in particular holds a special place that It can be exemplified anytime.Iruvar After 4 groundbreaking music (incldg Indira), MR was informed of approaching different classical composers may be quiet reluctant about AR's potentail for such an epic or may BE for that classical feel and 60's pleasing melody. Boy, A R Rahman!!! I still remember the whole tamil world is by storm with that classical "narumugaiye" & MGR intro song much more enduring than their early days. andha intro ghatam sound irukke mandayila thatra maathiriye irukkum & naveens flute. Great!! Mano's comeback imitating TMS, Harini gorgeous return from classical nila kaigiradhu to jazz music, Hariharan in thathuva paadal with brilliant guitar interludes and Asha's first tamil song with AR after rangeela fame still lingering in my mind. thirumbavum ketkanum

A well esteemed soudtrack and a Classic movie! Hats off

Post Thanks / Like
    A Trivial note: Harini was just 13 when she sung Nila kaigiradhu that shud be in 1994-95.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scale
    A Trivial note: Harini was just 13 when she sung Nila kaigiradhu that shud be in 1994-95.
    that earned her a national award... am i rite?
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    NO!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber SoftSword's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NO!
    really?
    i somehow remember that song got an award...
    Sach is Life..

Post Thanks / Like
    Search...

Here is the full list from the archieves. I checked for the lyricist but there is no national award for Indira may be for someother category.

harini search pannadhula Bhavat'harini vandhadhu. aadipoitten!

On an another google search bio/age before

"I don't know whether it was correct to give the national award to Bhavadharani.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Masterpiece!!! For that matter all MR songs. Vairamuthu's lyrics in particular holds a special place that It can be exemplified anytime.Iruvar After 4 groundbreaking music (incldg Indira), MR was informed of approaching different classical composers may be quiet reluctant about AR's potentail for such an epic or may BE for that classical feel and 60's pleasing melody. Boy, A R Rahman!!! I still remember the whole tamil world is by storm with that classical "narumugaiye" & MGR intro song much more enduring than their early days. andha intro ghatam sound irukke mandayila thatra maathiriye irukkum & naveens flute. Great!! Mano's comeback imitating TMS, Harini gorgeous return from classical nila kaigiradhu to jazz music, Hariharan in thathuva paadal with brilliant guitar interludes and Asha's first tamil song with AR after rangeela fame still lingering in my mind. thirumbavum ketkanum

A well esteemed soudtrack and a Classic movie! Hats off
    Yeah Right ! I was saying this yesterday in 'last song' thread in TF section. In addition to the mind blowing tunes and excellent lyrics, selection of singers has contributed to this most memorable album. Mano, Harini, Hariharan, Asha, Unni, Bombay Jayashree, Sandhya are all aptly chosen.

Relished listening to the entire album a couple of times yesterday. VM's 'udal maNNukku uyir thamizhukku' and 'unnOdu naaniruntha ovvoru maNithuLiyum' poetries are a pleasure to listen. Songs are pure bliss
    And those who were seen dancing, were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast