Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Album of the week

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swades is one film which is very close to my heart...........its on my collection of movies............swades came in the background of a blockbuster/national award winning album of AG-ARR i.e Lagaan.....like always , ARR outshined the previous album........swades will easily walk into top5 album list of any ARR fan..............for me, it shares top honours with Boys, RDB, Dil se, KKS etc.........

songs in order of my preference:

1.Yeh jo des hai tera - heart wrenching...........usage of dying shenai was the punch line......the rustic flavor added to this song.......ARR's voice carried the pain of that MohanBhargav character in the movie - absolutely heavenly work....

2. Saawariya - delightful........authentic hindi lyrics - najariya, dagariya - JA=ARR combo is just like VM-ARR combo here.....their coming together is always exciting........and the songs' grand second interlude is so pleasing to hear.......

3. yuhin chala - the perfect fusion of Indian classical music/pop music and a touch of rock..........try it on long drives, this song is a treat.....

4. Dekho na - though remixed from baba, the tranquility this song carries is amazing.......the tune is so delightful and way it travels up/down in rythm scales is a delight to listen.....

5. yeh tara - this was the biggest hit of the album........ARR's passion for hindustani raagas show up here.........this song too carries a rustic indian feel.......

6. Pal Pal hai baari - the usual bhajan in AG-ARR combo........can you believe this song was composed/recorded in 2 days.........the ARR twist in the bhajan (hariharan entry) is great........

Swades is an album which will always stay close to heart......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing for me to comment on this particular album. Though, I wanna add one thing...

I'l happyly send this audio to some MDs in TN. Not to mention their names though....Avanga vayasukku mariyadhai
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna
    Quote Originally Posted by Devar Magan
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftSword
    Quote Originally Posted by Devar Magan
    ennoda ella posts-kkum inge nallaa response kidaikkuthey
    yaar enna sonnaalum response kedaikkum inga...
    so keep posting DM
    coming to swades,

I feel that its a good album from ARR..

I like the BGM in that hydro power plant scene..
    neenga Hindi padam ellaam paappeenglaa

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar
    Nothing for me to comment on this particular album. Though, I wanna add one thing...

I'l happyly send this audio to some MDs in TN. Not to mention their names though....Avanga vayasukku mariyadhai
    ?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maddy said: swades will easily walk into top5 album list of any ARR fan

I checked the Top 10 ARR thread and Swades did not figure in the top ten (leave alone top five) of Littlemaster1982, A.Anand, K_vanan, and Scale. If I am not incorrect, these are some of the hard-core Rahman fans. Perhaps they forgot Swades, which somewhat lessens the album's allure, for "best" albums do not fade away from memory of even ordinary fans (leave alone hard-core ones).

For me, although Swades was a good album it did not have the freshness of Lagaan. Yuhin Chala, had it come in Lagaan would have been better received, IMO. It seems AG did not want it in Lagaan and ARR replaced it with that terrific Chale Chalo song. What a number, that! Fantastic beats in the class of the Mustafa number. Again, IMO. Also, (pardon me for this!) for me Yeh hai des mera reminded an old MSV-TKR number (vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai), which to me indicated lack of freshness re Swades. Furthermore, as we all know Dekho na was just a polished version of Baba Kichu tha, but it did not have the "twinkling" vibrancy of Baba Kichu tha, IMO. Yeh tara was a good number but (again apologies, since you seem to be a Shahrukh fan) the film's protagonist, with his predictable acting, spoiled it somewhat, IMO. Above all, Swades was so hyped that when the album came out, it couldn't match the hype.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think Swades was hyped as much as Lagaan. Plus what does SRK's bad acting got to do with the song? Music4ever you are giving all the wrong reasons for not liking the songs. yeh jo des hai is nowhere close to Vandha naaL mudhal. And you cite that as reason for lack of freshness! SEL have gone on record liking the shenai usage in that song. Swades is not a great or a pathbreaking album but a pretty darn good one. In Lagaan I really liked the theme. The other songs though peppy and energetic, were good to hear a few times at the time of release, but certainly not classics that I will be revisiting. There is not a single strong melody in that album. But since the movie was a big hit its songs have been overrated a little in my opinion

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swades is my most favoritttt arr album . Although i cant say myself as an hardcore fanatic like other hubbers here but the music is simply top class
    Quote Originally Posted by Music4Ever

I checked the Top 10 ARR thread and Swades did not figure in the top ten (leave alone top five) of Littlemaster1982, A.Anand, K_vanan, and Scale. If I am not incorrect, these are some of the hard-core Rahman fans. Perhaps they forgot Swades, which somewhat lessens the album's allure, for "best" albums do not fade away from memory of even ordinary fans (leave alone hard-core ones).

For me, although Swades was a good album it did not have the freshness of Lagaan. Yuhin Chala, had it come in Lagaan would have been better received, IMO. It seems AG did not want it in Lagaan and ARR replaced it with that terrific Chale Chalo song. What a number, that! Fantastic beats in the class of the Mustafa number. Again, IMO. Also, (pardon me for this!) for me Yeh hai des mera reminded an old MSV-TKR number (vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai), which to me indicated lack of freshness re Swades. Furthermore, as we all know Dekho na was just a polished version of Baba Kichu tha, but it did not have the "twinkling" vibrancy of Baba Kichu tha, IMO. Yeh tara was a good number but (again apologies, since you seem to be a Shahrukh fan) the film's protagonist, with his predictable acting, spoiled it somewhat, IMO. Above all, Swades was so hyped that when the album came out, it couldn't match the hype.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you are looking at a very small sample here.......if u have been to our orkut forums, u wud have seen umpteen threads on swades alone..........also, ask LM or Anand, K_vanan, whether leaving out swades was a easy choice

For me, although Swades was a good album it did not have the freshness of Lagaan. Yuhin Chala, had it come in Lagaan would have been better received, IMO. It seems AG did not want it in Lagaan and ARR replaced it with that terrific Chale Chalo song. What a number, that! Fantastic beats in the class of the Mustafa number. Again, IMO. Also, (pardon me for this!) for me Yeh hai des mera reminded an old MSV-TKR number (vandha naal mudhal indha naal varai vaanam maaravillai), which to me indicated lack of freshness re Swades.
    , i dont think there is any similarity betn these 2 songs...........the pace and rythm of the songs might have made u think so.........yeh jo des hai tera was one of its kind song , bcos it brought back the dying instrument of shenai, which is one of the most Indian instrument too.........i dont think anyone other than MSV-TKR or SDB or O.P.Nayyar have used shenai , after them its ARR only....... ........for me, this song takes ARR a step above RD.Burman - cos, none of RDB's melodies cud match this song's intensity and rustic flavor.............no wonder a bengali commented 13 yrs back, "yeh to R.D.Burman ka baap hai" after listening to Bombay

Furthermore, as we all know Dekho na was just a polished version of Baba Kichu tha, but it did not have the "twinkling" vibrancy of Baba Kichu tha, IMO. Yeh tara was a good number but (again apologies, since you seem to be a Shahrukh fan) the film's protagonist, with his predictable acting, spoiled it somewhat, IMO. Above all, Swades was so hyped that when the album came out, it couldn't match the hype.
    me, SRk fan-a ....i like him a lot, but not a fan and all.........esp not after he has made sweeping statements on ARR's walkout of OSO..... .....

IMO swades is one album with its touch of patriotism and authentic indian music, took ARR closer to the likes of SD.Burman and Naushad
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY

you are looking at a very small sample here.......if u have been to our orkut forums, u wud have seen umpteen threads on swades alone..........also, ask LM or Anand, K_vanan, whether leaving out swades was a easy choice
    Top 10 albums select pandrathukkulla enakku muzhi pidhungiduchu. If I have to list the reasons why I left out some albums (Swades included), I need a seperate thread.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    ..i dont think anyone other than MSV-TKR or SDB or O.P.Nayyar have used shenai , after them its ARR only.......
    <Dig>
    Two Raaja songs i can think of with Shehnai usage are
    (Thevar Magan) in the prelude - 4:44 onwards
    (Mahanadhi) - 2nd interlude [in the film, only the 2nd interlude is kept] - 1:11 onwards
    </Dig>

Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast