Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Traditional Christmas Menu

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Christmas spread

Dear Rakhi, do not worry about comments.
    Keep posting your recipes.
    they are great. Thanks
    Faith is the surest guide in the darkest days
    KR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

a traditional christmas menu

Dear Rakhi,
    Do you have the recipe for sweet bread and meat chaps?
    Thank you
    Deepa

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    more recipes above will follow shortly.There is one correction I want to make.My measurings are only aprox. esp. for masalas.I go with the instinct kind of thing when it comes to cooking rather than measuring each and everything.It is a bad practice when u have to cook large quantities for parties,bcoz u are at a loss.but it is also good,meaning I dont need measuring cups and spoons and weighing machines if I have to cook for an emergency situation.the probl. is when it comes to writing down recipes,it is harder,bcoz I know some people follow recipes to the last letter.I wud suggest to go by ur tastes,when adding masalas.If u like too spicy food,u can go by my measurements,otherwise feel free to make small changes.Also the brand of masalas used also makes a lot of difference.'Periyar' brand chilli powder is different from 'Swad','Surya', "Lakshmi' or any other brand.The quantity has to be adjusted accordingly.Some are more spicy hot than others.In one,u may use only 1 tsp.but with the other,u may have to use 3tsp to get the same spiciness....if u know what I mean.

Again,I was only listing all kinds of traditional foods in our house ,but I meant only one of them at a time.For eg:tea time snacks should be read Pazham Pori OR mutta kuzhalappam OR......
    and we used to(still do)celeberate in the 'Tharavadu' (Family house),like my grandma's house,and all the whole family get togther.all sons,their wives,inlaws,daughters,husbands,cousins,uncles,etc etc. including children coming to about 30-50 people.It is like a big Sadhya.
    And also like a buffet system.we just have a taste of all the food.

so many meat dishes are used bcoz we fast for 25 days of Christmas abstaining from all kinds of nonveg including fish and eggs.Skip one meal a day.second meal should not equal twice the meal.So we celeberate it with making all kinds of meat we eat.
    the wine is usually home made or custom ordered without additional alcohol added so that children can also take a sip.

Recipes of chaaps,pappas and others follow.Happy cooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Deepa,I don't have a recipe for sweet bread bcoz we used to buy it.I am talking about the bread u get in Kerala shops which is white bread,slightly sweet,great with stews.
    In USA,I have not seen this bread.U can use the regular white bread though,or buns or hotdog breads instead.U can also use Paalappam/Vellayappam if that was not made for breakfast.

I had been searching the internet for recipes of chaaps and pappaas for the past 2 years.This recipe is from my Aunt's cookbook.I think the original name is chops though.Chaaps is a local name maybe.

Meat Chaaps(meat Chops)
    U can use mutton/beef/lamb/pork/veal.
    Do not use stew meat as it is very soft and shreds off.
    Cut meat pieces as thin slices 3 inches long and square shaped.

Ingredients
    meat-1 kg
    ginger -one small piece
    onion -1 large
    garlic -6 pods
    green chillies -6
    curryleaves
    oil
    chilli powder -1 tsp
    turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
    ground pepper -1/2 tsp
    ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
    vinegar -2 tsp
    yogurt-2 tbsp
    salt
    coconut milk-2 tbsp
    spices to grind
    cinnammon
    cardamom
    nutmeg
    pepper
    fennel
    cloves
    bay leaves

In a bowl, mix yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, powders and ground masalas,curry leaves and marinate meat chops in them.Keep 4-5 hrs.
    Now pressure cook till done.Do not add water.Usually 4 whistles.In India,meat is more rough,so may take more whistles.
    Heat a little oil in a shallow frying pan.
    Shallow fry the mutton chops(few chops at a time) until browned on either side. Keep aside.
    In the same oil,add chopped onions,ground ginger garlic,curry leaves and fry well.
    At this point,u can add additional masala if needed.mix all powders and wet it slightly.Roast it well in the oil till aroma comes out.Now add chops and mix well.
    After mixing for 3-4 minutes,take a little coconut milk and add it.mix again and add vinegar.Take off stove.Garnish with coriander leaves,onion rings and lemon wedges.Serve hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Meat pappas

Meat Pappas(pappaas/mappas/mappaas)
    ==============================
    Can use the same meats for chops.Chicken is done slightly different which I will post later.

Cut meat pieces as thin slices 3 inches long and square shaped.

Ingredients
    ========
    meat-1 kg
    ginger -one small piece
    onion -1 large
    garlic -6 pods
    green chillies -6
    curryleaves
    oil
    chilli powder -1 tsp
    turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
    ground pepper -1/2 tsp
    ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
    vinegar -2 tsp
    yogurt-2 tbsp
    salt
    coconut milk-1 cup

spices to grind
    =========
    cinnammon
    cardamom
    nutmeg
    pepper
    fennel
    cloves
    bay leaves
    mustard
    bark of drumstick tree(muringa tholi)

Grind all,add ginger-garlic paste and grind again with vinegar.

Pressure cook the meat adding all pastes same as in chops recipe.
    Take a vessel,heat oil,add wet masala if desired and roast it.Add meat pieces,and mix well.Add coconut milk,vinegar,salt and when gravy is thick,remove from fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Kuzhalappam

Kuzhalappam
    ==========
    Here is the recipe for kuzhalappam which I hope is the one Shoba had asked.I have not tried this one.Please send feedback.

rice flour sifted-1 kg
    red onion(shallots)-1 cup
    garlic-1/4 cup
    cumin-1 tsp
    salt
    cardamom-10gm
    sugar-1/2kg
    coconut-1 whole
    sesame seeds-25 gm

Grind together very well coconut,onions,garlic,cardamom,sugar to a fine paste and add salt to taste.

Rice flour should be roasted well.

Mix flour and ground paste.Add sesame seeds and cumin seeds also.
    Mix and knead well.Roll into small chappathis and paste two ends together,looking like a long cylinder.
    deep fry in oil.wrap in paper towels.this stays for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Home made Wine recipe

Never tried this one.From my mom's secret recipe cookbook.

Grape wine
    ========
    (seven bottles)
    dark grapes-1 kg
    sugar-2kg
    yeast-2tsp
    eggwhite-1
    water-5 bottles
    whole wheat grains-1 handful

Rub grapes with a wet cloth.
    Then press it with hand.
    Layer all ingredients in a large bottle.Add 1 kg sugar.and close well and keep.
    Stir ingredients alternate days.
    On 21st day,remove 1 cup sugar from the rest 1 kg sugar.add remaining sugar and stir well.
    Caramelize the remaining 1 cup sugar.this is for colour.Add this to the mixture,stir well ,strain and pour into bottles.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Christmas menu

Dear Rahki,
    Do you all make stuffed chicken roast for christmas?
    If so do you have the recipe?
    I would be grateful to have it.
    Thanks.
    Kavitha
    Faith is the surest guide in the darkest days
    KR

Post Thanks / Like
    hi rakhi,
    do u have a recipe for boti curry? (kudal curry)

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stuffed Roasted Chicken

1 whole chicken; 2 big onions finely minced; ¼ cup finely minced corriander leaves; 3-4 green chillies finely minced; Mint leaves 12-15 no.’s finely chopped;curry leaves few; Salt to taste; Pepper Pwd.- 1 tspn; Turmeric pwd –1/2 tspn; garam masala pwd ½ tspn; ginger/Garlic Paste 1tbspn; Mixed Vegetables finely chopped – 1 cup steamed & kept; minced mutton/beef –1/2 kg, heart/liver/gizzards finely minced;Oil –6-8 tbspns,; lime juice – 2-3 tbspns.

Heat oil &fry the minced onions, gr.chillies, coriander, curry leaves, mint leaves, when onions are turning brown add the pepper pwd, turmeric pwd, garam masala & salt & mix nicely, add the minced meat, liver/heart/gizzards minced & the par boiled vegetables & fryon low heat for 3-5 mins – remove from heat & leave to cool add lime juice and mix well.

In the meantime wash the chicken nicely inside & out, leave to drain-then stuff the chicken with the prepared stuffing from the bottom – seal the opening by stitching with a needle & twine. Tie the legs together, tie the neck & wings on the chest. Apply ghee or oil mixed with ½ tspn pepper powder& a little salt & rub all over the chickenliberally- bake in a moderately hot oven till chicken is tender & brown – turn over & brown – see that the chicken is brown & cooked on all sides- serve with fried Potatoes/ Onions/Ketchup

Pearl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast