Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hindu Puranic Tales...

Hybrid View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Surya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hindu Puranic Tales...

Hi guys, I've wanted to create such a thread for sometime, but for some reason i haven't.

Anywayz, as we all know, our puranas have millions and millions of stories, which usually have some moral or idea behind it. I personally and many other believe that these tales have really taken place.

This thread is just for Hubbers to Post Stories which they know, which others might not.

Since it is Hanuman Jeyanthi Today, I'll start the thread off with a Story Pertaining to Hanuman.

@ One point in the Mahabharath, Bheema (Known to the be Strongest of the Pandavas) gets too proud, and his strength blinds him. To teach him a lesson, Narathar gives him a task to do. He asks Bheema to go somewhere. When he reaches that destination, he will see a tail which belongs to something or someone. He is to lift that tail, and put it aside. Bheema does as he is told and goes to the spot which Narathar has mentioned. He sees the tail, He tries to pick it up..I can't..He tries to move it, he can't. He tries to shove it. He can't. So he asks Naratha, what this thing is, and how he coulen't move it even though he is the strongest man in the world. Naratha asks Bheema to chant "Sree Rama Jeyam" A few times and then try it again. Bheema does what he is told, and after chanting "Sree Rama Jeyam" a few times, he is able to move it easily. Bheema now completly confused, asks Naratha why he wasn't able to move it in the first place, and what did this tail lead to. Naratha says asks Bheema to follow the tail, and Bheema finds out that the tail belongs to Hanuman who is now in deep Thapas.

That's all I know of this tale. My grandmother would often tell me these stories if I massaged her feet so she could fall asleep....but more than often, she'd fall asleep and never finish the story.

So anywayz, can someone finish the story if they know the rest?
    Back after a while...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think hanuman showers his blessings on bheema and gives him boons and some weapons which later he used in kurushketra .

This reminds me of another purana ...on similar lines..

Narada and thumbura in vaikuntam sing in praise of lord vishnu
    they were always on argument .. (more then the bhakti ), they were proud that there can never be singer like them...lord vishnu waits for oppurtunity to teach them a lesson...

unable to decide the best singer amongst them ... they reach out to lord vishnu as judge..after listening to them lord vishnu mentions about a third singer who shd also participate ... he mentions abt hanuman , who is in great tapas ...
    he only says "sree ram "...
    lord vishnu declares him winner , as his bhakthi is stupendous...and he is the true devotee of lord vishnu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, since people have been talking about Hanuman and Narada, here goes another story about the two.

Narada becomes proud of his talent in music and goes around parading the fact, when he is told that Hanuman is much better at music than he is!

He is stung and goes to find Hanuman sitting in the mountains in tapas and challenges him. Hanuman takes Narada's string instrument (Mahati) and starts to sing about Rama. So melodious and soulful is the music that the even rocks begin to melt. The rocks start to flow like water, and suddenly, Hanuman throws Mahati into the molten rock and stops singing. As soon as he stops singing, the rocks resolidify, trapping Mahati.

Now, Hanuman tells Narada, "Now you sing and make the rocks melt again and take your instrument out."

Needless to say, Narada is not able to do it; he begs Hanuman's forgiveness and beseeches him to retrieve his instrument. So Hanuman sings again, once again the rocks melt at his music and a much humbled Narada goes back to Vaikuntha with Mahati!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    another story on poor Naradhar.

once Naradhar claimed that he was the greatest devotee of Vishnu with his constant :Naarayana: :Naarayana:
    Sriman told Naradhar that there was another man on earth who was a greater devotee. This, Naradhar had to see.
    The man was a farmer who woke up as early as 4 am and started the day with :Naarayana:
    Naradhar follwed the man unseeingly for the rest of the day, anxiously wanting to count the number of times the farmer says :Naarayana:
    Strangely the man went about his work without any more mention of :Naarayana: until he was ready to sleep late into the night. He mentioned :Naarayana: in exhaustion as he fell asleep

Naradhar was indignant and approached Vishnu.
    Sriman listened to him calmly and then gave Naradhar a tumbler filled to the brim with water. "This water is very special. Not a drop must spill. Can you take it around earth and bring it back to me?" Sriman said. "Remember, not a single spill. This will prove your devotion to me."

Naradhar was proud to be tested by Vishnu and proceeded to carry the tumbler around the world. All his concentration was on the tumbler, as he resisted the panja boodhams while going around the world.

Eventually he reached Sriman and proudly was able to say that he did not spill a single drop.

And then Sriman dropped the bombshell on Naradhar. "How many times during your trip, did you remember :Naarayana: ?"

Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    once there was a brahmin, and though his devotion was great , so was his pride. one morning when cleaning the temple he found meat placed ontop of the shiv lingam in the temple . this , he removed and then made his offerings to lord shiva.

the next day was the same , and so was the day after. The brahmin getting greatly angered by vandalism , so prayed to the lord to solve this great mystery . Later that night the lord gave him a dream to go outside of the temple and hide.

the brahmin did this , soon enough , a hunter carrying meat came to the temple and offered it on the lingam. the brahmin was about to stop the hunter when he saw heard to hunter starting to weep . when the brahmin looked , he saw that blood was flowing out of one of the eyes of the lingam.

then he saw the hunter , using his spear, plucked out one of his own eyes and placed it in place of the lord's bleeding eye. The bleeding stopped!!! the hunter began to dance in joy that he had cured the lord when the lingam's other eye began to bleed as well .

the brahmin looked on in shock as the hunter was about to pluck out his other eye, the lord himself appeared and stopped the hunter, and gave him blessings .

at that instant , the pride of the brahmin disappeared, making him an even better devotee.
    jai chandika amma

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

HANUMAN HUMBLING BHIMA

HANUMAN HUMBLING BHIMA IS THEME OF KALYANA SAUGANDIKAM-KATHAKALI
    BY-KOTTAYATHU THAMPURAN

Whilst Arjuna was away in the Himalayas, in search of a divine arrow, his brothers and Draupadi, spent a long time visiting holy places. Eventually, they came to Kulinda the kingdom of Subhahu. They stayed at Narayanasram. One day wind wafted a beautiful flower near Draupadi. She was so enchanted, by its fragrance that she asked Bhima to find some more flowers of the same sort.

Bhima knew only that the flower came from north as the wind was blowing from that direction. He sets off in search of the flower. He encounters many difficulties. Then he reaches a forest, where his step Hanuman was dwelling. Hanuman recognized Bhima and wanted to help him. But he felt that Bhima should be humbled. Therefore, he transformed into a decrepit old monkey and lay in Bhima’s path. He teases him and asked him to shoe off the tail-which Bhima could not. Thus Bhima was humbled. Now he reveals his true self and directs him where to find the flower. Bhima reaches the garden of Kubera where the flower grew and brought it back to Draupadi.

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hunter who gave his eye to lord siva is bhaktha kanappa
    and famous temple where lord appeared before kanappa is srikalahasthi..

Senior Member Senior Hubber sipi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hindu Puranic Tales...

Quote Originally Posted by gayatri yanamandra
    I think hanuman showers his blessings on bheema and gives him boons and some weapons which later he used in kurushketra .
    no gayathri, he didnt give any weapon.. he only gives his blessing...

Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Bheema to follow the tail, and Bheema finds out that the tail belongs to Hanuman who is now in deep Thapas.

So anywayz, can someone finish the story if they know the rest?
    actually, the story starts like this... Bheema has self-conceit that he is a strong and strengthy man, no one can beat him... Krishna felt sad about him. cause, he know self-conceit never make a man to success in life... so, he ask narada to meet drowpati.

Drowpati felt some flower smell, she is interested to know whats that. While on that time, Narada says its a wonderful flower which gives best smell.. so, she is interested to get that. she send bheema to get that place... There only he met hanuman tail...
    .................................................. .......................................
    .................................................. .......................................
    .................................................. ....................................... then bheema find his fault about self-conceit and felt guilty about that... then, he meet hanuman.

after hanuman seen bheema, he came to know that he is his younger brother. cause, both are VAAYU PUTRA'S. Hanuman ask him what u want... he say i like to see your real structure (vishva roopam) in dwapara yugam, this is the only time hanuman showed his vishva roopam.

He said to him that, Truth will be there where krishna is! and i will be there where truth is!

in kurushetra war, hanuman being in the flag and protects 5 pandavas.

moral of the story : (rajini style) thaan thaaan periyavannu yaarum ninaika koodadhu.... avanuku annum irupan...

there is one more story about relating to hanuman & arjun, concept of same self-conceit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by avii
    once there was a brahmin, and though his devotion was great , so was his pride. one morning when cleaning the temple he found meat placed ontop of the shiv lingam in the temple . this , he removed and then made his offerings to lord shiva.
    this story is also an HISTORY not only PURANA.

Quote Originally Posted by gayatri yanamandra
    The hunter who gave his eye to lord siva is bhaktha kanappa
    and famous temple where lord appeared before kanappa is srikalahasthi..
    yes... such a wonderful temple...

more than this, he is the only NAYANMAR touched by lord shiva and called by lord shiva as kannappa... (Actually, his real name is something else)

Post Thanks / Like
    A story of ARJUN's SELF-CONCEIT

After hi dapas, he met lord shiva and received BRAMA ASTRA and blessings too... so he felt, he is great one in the world and he felt he can beat any one through his bow & arrow. He was hanged by SELF-CONCEIT.

When he back to home, he seen a river crossing him with full speed. He has to cross it to back to his place. he ordered the river to provide space to cross it otherwise to use his arrow. River pleased him, its nature. we cant split us to provide the space... you are a great archer, so better you built a bridge on me.

He felt, its a great idea. So, he used to build ARROW BRIDGE to cross... after he crossed it, he felt he is greater than sri ram. even, sri ram is also a great archer, but he used to built bridge by stones. but, arjun built it through arrow's. Hanuman felt that, some one criticising about sri ram.

Hanuman (looks like an ordinary person) meet arjun and said that this bridge never be a strong one to carry his weight.. both are bets about that. Arjun bet that, if bridge didnt balance your weight, i never use bow & arrow after that.

Bridge totally broke, when it met hanumans first step... Arjun felt guilty about himself. so, he decided to broke his own bow (gaandeepam) Krishna appear there and stop him to broke the bow... He ask him to built bridge again and ask hanuman to broke it. And this time, hanuman cant able to broke the bridge... cause, krishna fulla carry over hanuman weight through his shoulder and he get blood on his shoulder.

Arjun ask why u sacrifice yourself? Krishna said that "now, i have only you to protect truth. i dont like to lose you".

moral of the story : dont bet anything easily without thinking, dont be self-conceit, and believe all are born to protect truth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast