Page 173 of 207 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2067

Thread: Which is the last Bollywood film you saw ?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is to say, that comment is not at all why I actually dislike his writings in the first place. So yes, you're right that, as a standalone comment, it's nothing more than way off target.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ZNMD must watch at least 5 times...wonderful movie

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I'm trying to say is. People stripping WA of his Jewish Manhattan background, his own physical-intellectual equation, etc, is beginning to trouble me, as well. This is true of any filmmaker. Be it Scorsese, Spike Lee, Lumet, Coppola, their class, race & intellectual leanings (be it through books/interviews/wikipedia) enriches my understanding of their films, relationships, class conflict, and heck, "their" NY.

And a critic's job is to make sense of it. He has to filter through filmmaker's glasses, not just his. Let's assume the person is urban middle/upper middle class chennai PSBB-ian. How he would have filtered it through his own glasses, stripping it off the intended nuances & meaning (P_R's eyes widen up), is easily revealed in his reviews. Now, if I could identify with this person, I would identify with his position on the filmmaker/film. Unfortunately, the only feelings I hold to him/his critiquing is amusement, with a tinge of aversion. And to me, these days especially, it's getting harder & harder to identify with most critical positions. I have to really, really identify with the critic first, or at least be convinced that the critiquing isn't defaced of the presupposed conception & choices made by the writer/filmmaker. At least, a gesture of acknowledgment, would suit fine. Perhaps it's also the style of writing that bothers me.
    Last edited by kid-glove; 26th December 2011 at 03:55 PM.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    sabbaas...nallavarundra.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    Unfortunately, the only feelings I hold to him/his critiquing is amusement, with a tinge of aversion.
    I didn't get the overall drift, but why do you assume (if you do) mine is any different? I've never so much as mentioned him just to make a deriding remark!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I got that. Just unwinding my own feelings on this issue. Btw, have you tried his philums?
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't quite hate his writing as many of you do.
    But then I don't follow film reviews closely - either his or BR's or anyones. Opinions and discussions I have here
    (I read Confli's express reviews every week - adhu vERa department)

When I read it a newspaper review I simply want to know what the film is about and whether it is 'oru thadavai paakkalaam' or not.
    I find the star ratings, vigadan marks and telling-the-story all quite useful.
    Of course, all these are things reviewers are lampooned for doing. But hey, I am just a ruthless, short-on-attention reader.

'I think I get why you are saying what you are saying. I know what to expect' is the kind of reaction I have to reviews.
    So from a purely utilitarian PoV, I am hardly ever as annoyed as you guys are, after reading his reviews.
    And when he cruelly rips apart a film, sometimes it is quite fun. adhu thozhil dharmamA etc. are not things that interest me.

I remember the social irresponsibility rant about 7G. 'vazhippOkkan sollalaam, oru critic ippadi sollappadaadhu' 'ngra maadhiri ellAm naan react paNradhu illai.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate ellAm strong word. Even I don't. Just that I feel free to be annoyed by patronising reviews such as his. "'vazhippOkkan sollalaam, oru critic ippadi sollappadaadhu'" 'nnellAm sollalayE. yAr sonnAlum kELvi kEkkaRadhu dhAn. (nAn vItlayE ippallAm silarai vidaRadhillai... vayasAyiduchillaiyA.)

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venkiraja
    Haven't you read the jokes/cliches about boyfriend/girlfriend, girlfriend is right, custumber is king etc?
    And ennanga modern interpretation? Moonu perum wimps (Sudhish hates wimpy portrayals) on a Vikraman scale - here the problem is not portraying a wimp, at a time la moonu perukkum lined up-aa similar events, similar wimpy reactions, and then a closure Chetan Bhagat would have been proud of. WA comparison ellaam pesave vendaam, adha vidunga - Idhula engerndhu complex unraveling of women, relationships ellaam?
    And nayagan sogathula guitar-a eduthu vaasikka aarambikkaraaru, sevuthulayum kadhavulayum Pink Floyd - idhukku namma Sudhish "has an uncompromising vision and confidence to switch from laugh-out-loud comedy to indulgent drama to angst-ridden rock" !!!!

Actually indha padatha paathu pengal offend-aavaangala?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Equa
    Regarding the point about class , just a guess - i think it may be something personal to him. Based on some experience(s), perhaps... Kindal adikkanum nu sollala, baadhikka patrukkaar nu nenaikkaren
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"