Thread: Kerala - Its Contribution to Indian History & Culture

Threaded View

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

margi sathi-kutiyattam artiste

That was a sarcastic smile. Experts say in Kutiyattam this is a challenging one for any artiste. Margi Sathi renowned Kutiyattam artiste performed with perfection at Fort Margi while staging “Agnipravesankam.”
    “Why is she laughing like that”- wondered Sugrivan? Is it because she had spent such a long period in the custody of Ravana and had gained audacity? Or is it because she is a chaste woman?
    Earlier the show began with the purappd of Sita who is in a dilemma. She was kidnapped by Ravana and airlifted to Lanka. She was concerned about the people’s opinion and Rama’s attitude towards her. In deep sorrow she approaches Rama. When she presents herself before Rama she looked elegant. That was the result of the boon by Ausuya, which Rama was unaware of. So he suspects her, and remarks of the people add his suspicion. Agni pravesam was suggested. She escapes unhurt.

People call her “pumchali.” She could not tolerate the insult. Suddenly she gains mental strength and laughs sarcastically, which has many connotations.
    Margi Sathi-now working as a tutor at Kerala Kalamandalam was in the city recently, to perform Kutiyattam (“Agnipravesam” from Aschraya chudamani) at Fort Margi.
    She was thrilled for she was invited by Kamala Surayya before the latter left for Pune.
    “I love Kamala Surayya for she resembled my mother, who passed away nine years ago. I have not met Kamala Surayya before. When she expressed her desire to meet me, I was so thrilled. When she passionately held my hands together, I could feel the invisible presence of my mother. Though the writer intended to finish our meeting with in half an hour it went on for four hours. The past two years had been a bad time for me. In those days I desired the proximity of my loving mother. When I met Kamala I could feel it” said Sathi.
    “She gifted this chain of beads (presented to her by Sandeep Chaitanya) and a kasavu set mundu. I have nothing to give her except for the book Sree Rama Charitham authored by me. She held that book close to her bosom and wept” reminisce Sathi.

How is the new role of teaching at Kalamandalam?
    “I am a product of Kalamandalam. It was Margi that made me what I am today and I became Margi Sathi. The problem is we seldom get opportunities to perform-which is essential for any artiste to develop the talents and exploit the potentials. I have to abide the rules of Kalamandalam. It is the best place for doing research. Plenty of materials are available. I have to make use of those facilities” she said.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement