Thread: Amul Cheese

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Amul Cheese

Since my wife is a vegetarian, her only source of calcium is milk. She drinks 1 glass per day and is now in the first trimester.
    Planning to increase it to 2 glasses soon.

I was also thinking of increasing her natural calcium intake by introducing more curd & cheese in her diet. But how can we make sure that the cheese purchased is not made out of real rennet but its substitute? What about Amul Cheese? I visited their site but nothing is mentioned about'rennet'.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Regular Hubber southiecook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan,

According to their site, Amul cheese is made from microbial rennet, not animal rennet.

http://www.amul.com/cheese-cheddar.html
    http://www.amul.com/cheese-emmental.html
    http://www.amul.com/cheese-mozzarella.html

Microbial rennet is usually made of enzymes derived from fungal or bacterial sources.

Greens such as spinach (all varieties), dark green vegetables (e.g.: broccoli, beans), tofu (not sure if it is available in Delhi), dry nuts (almonds, pista etc), dry fruits (e.g.: figs) etc. are also Calcium rich.

Another thing is: fruits and fruit juices - For extra Calcium, you can try Calcium fortified ones like Tropicana orange juice (I am sure it is available there).

Also, when you take your wife to her doctor next time, please talk about her diet and check if she needs some Calcium supplements or not.

Wishing your wife a healthy and happy pregnancy!
    Time is making fools of us again

Senior Member Senior Hubber dsath's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tahini paste (sesame paste) is an excellent non-diary calcium source.
    Its rich in other Vitamins too. I use it as spread on doasi,bread and idli for my son (he is allergic to diary products).
    But people back home say sesame seeds can cause heat - so should be used in moderation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey! Thankyou all!!!!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan: I am in my second trimester now and I take around 200 - 250ml of milk a day and some yoghurt for lunch... I have plenty of fruit and fresh veg as well and my calcium levels seem to be ok.

But then my calcium levels have always been normal, so please check her calcium levels with the doctor and ask for diet advice

good luck!
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Anoushka.

Ca levels are found from the blood, right? She's having a blood test on Tuesday.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan: yes, CA levels are found from the blood Good luck
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    She had her blood test done but no Calcium level was mentioned. But the doc has given her Calcium tablets(400 mg per day)