Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Astrological Knowledge for better and meaningful life

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sandeep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehehewalrus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep
    I was talking about the links provided by geno. Why dont you do through them. So if you are questioning the credibility of that link then I support you.
    major comprehension problems here!! Let me repeat my question - Will you kindly provide the link that pooh-poohs UFO research? Answer directly to the point (I agree UFOs have nothing to do with this thread, out of curiosity for UFO study, I am posting this here, sorry)
    geno's link http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl1810/18101170.htm

"In terms of universal appeal, astrology probably still leads its many rivals of more recent origin, that range from the 'we-are-almost-science' genre, of which the television serial 'X-Files' is the best known, to wilder variants like UFO abduction and alien landings on the earth."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by geno
    Most of the institutions that sandeep has given - are places where the "Sanskrit" language is taught and it is no secret that sanskrit has nothing other than these "mAyA" Shastras - masquerading as truth and science!!

Don't we know what the "vEdics" teach as "Jambudweepa"!!!
    Yes the heading itself said that these where places where astrology was taught as part of Sanskrit course. The point I want to make that Indian Government has been spending of Astrology even before BJP came.

Again in the list of foreign colleges There are Universities like "University of London". Again these are places where astrology is taught. Many major Universities spend on Astrological research (may be to prove astrology wrong)

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber geno's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to stress that the author of that column in frontline - Dr. T. Jayaraman - who is a theoretical physicist at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai - has only told "..to wilder variants like UFO abduction" - and NOT "..to wilder variants like UFO sightings " !!

I think we have to make distinctions between UFO sighting - claims and UFO "abduction" claims.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing wrong in studying Astrology. No one is being forced. It is your choice.

And if you are talking about money spend there are more tax payers (Especially the big payers) who believe in astrology that those who dont.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to stress that the author of that column in frontline - Dr. T. Jayaraman - who is a theoretical physicist at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai - has only told "..to wilder variants like UFO abduction" - and NOT "..to wilder variants like UFO sightings " !!

I think we have to make distinctions between UFO sighting - claims and UFO "abduction" claims.
    If you can believe in UFO sightings then what is so difficult in believing in UFO abduction. If aliens can come all the way to earth why can't they just abduct a guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    UFO would come under the ambit of "extra-terrestrial" intelligence. It certainly does have atleast "theoretical" grounds - which are corroborated by "theoretical" scientific probabailities.

Astrology has never been known to stand on any kinds of grounds of scrutiny, theorisation or rationality.

It is the very anti-thesis of "scientific enquiry" and it stands only in the "Darker side " of the objective study and analysis as a subject.

SO, even if there can be "claimed" credence to the UFO theories - astrology cannot claim similar kind of "status" from the scientific community.

Post Thanks / Like
    SO, even if there can be "claimed" credence to the UFO theories - astrology cannot claim similar kind of "status" from the scientific community.
    Even if I agree with you, the frontline author that you quoted seems to consider UFO inferior to astrology.

Remember "wilder variants like UFO abduction"

Post Thanks / Like
    I NEVER said that I believe in UFOs.

These may even be optical illusions, and the "alien landings" and any kind of "close encounter" with Aliens and alien ships - would not -in my opinion - have any "scientific credence".

I'm only talking about the distant sightings pf "un-identified flying objects" which is exactly they are called UFOs!

The people who saw them cant identify them - thas all!

They may even be some NSA-funded or pentagon-funded highly secret flying missions of "innovative" kinds of fighter aircrafts!

There was a detailed and objective documentary on UFO sightings which was aired in discover channel a few years ago.

They were strongly suggesting that the "Cold War" period American govts. were only trying to "divert" peoples' attention from the real intentions of these "fighter & techno hi-fi machines" - and probably the CIA & all the "deep throat" agencies in the US - were involved in devising this UFO theories and stories!

Whatever the truth in them - i dont think UFO "abductions" and alien landings stories have any merit in them.

But "UFO" sightings might have! coz people just "saw" some flying object from a distance and they couldnt "decide" what it was!

They could have been anything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sandeep wrote :

>> Even if I agree with you, the frontline author that you quoted seems to consider UFO inferior to astrology. >>

Where does he say that???!!!

Read this para again:

In terms of universal appeal, astrology probably still leads its many rivals of more recent origin, that range from the 'we-are-almost-science' genre, of which the television serial 'X-Files' is the best known, to wilder variants like UFO abduction and alien landings on the earth.

Where does he "imply" that astrology is "better" than "UFO" stories??!!

He merely states that astrology seems to have caught the peoples imaginations more than it's rival "Pseudo-sciences" like the Para-normal stories as told in X-files series - that is all - he says!

Why do u wanna twist what he actually says to imply what he hasnt implied!

Listen to this :

"AMONG the many pseudo-sciences that have a considerable hold over significant sections of the public, astrology has something of a special place."

That author of frontline column clearly says that - astrology is a PSEUDO-SCIENCE!!

Why would you wanna "mis-interpret" him so very grossly sandeep?!

Post Thanks / Like

"In terms of universal appeal, astrology probably still leads its many rivals of more recent origin, that range from the 'we-are-almost-science' genre, of which the television serial 'X-Files' is the best known, to wilder variants like UFO abduction and alien landings on the earth. "
    Please explain what he means by "wilder variants like UFO abduction".

Anyway I dont think you are going to agree on this and only the author himself can stand by his viewpoint.

So lets talk about ours. You have categoricatty stated that you dont believe in UFO's being alien ships. Am I right? Please make it clear.

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast