Thread: eraniyal palace collapsed

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

eraniyal palace collapsed

In ancient days before the Maharajas of Travancore shifted their capital to Padmanabhapuram and the residence to the Padmanabhapuram Palace they lived in the Eraniyal Palace which is a fine example of typical Kerala style of architecture. Gabled roofs exquisite wood carvings and finely sculpted mandapam it was one of the finely architectural entities in the state. The palace now is in dilapidated condition with all the struts exposed awaiting collapse. iN THE TORRENTIAL RAIN IT COLLAPSED YESTERDAY.

Bhaskara Ravi Varma the last and celebrated Cheraman Perumal is said to have been born in the year 3444 of the Kali Era corresponding to 342 AD. His Kingdom extended over the whole of Travancore ,Kochi and Malabar. He held the reins for 44 years.

In his last years he became an ardent devotee of Siva. Sundara Moorthi Nainar –initiated into the Saivite mysteries. He decided to devote the rest of his life wholly to the worship of Siva. Sundara Moorthy Nainar of Sucheendram initiated into the Saivite mysteries. He devoted the rest of his life wholly to the worship of Siva.

He divided his kingdom among the members of his family.Kolathunad was assigned to his son who founded the family of zamorins. The nephew was made the ruler of Kochi and his elder nephew brother became the ruler of Travancore.

One day Bhaskara Ravi Varma left the palace with Sundara Moorthi Nainar. They reached a place where there is a Bhagavathy temple. He deposited his sword the emblem of his temporal power before the Deity and that place is known as Valvachagoshtam.

Legend says that the king and his Guru suddenly vanished from the Eraniyal Palace. The legend about his being taken to Heaven in his physical body is traceable to his sudden disappearance from the Eraniel Palace. Their demise is said to have occurred on the Swati day in the month of Ashada[3528 kali era].
    In the Suchindram temple images of Cheraman Perumal and Sundra Moorti are taken out in procession on this day, even today.

On the granite bed stead used by the last of the Great Perumals a lamp has been kept burning in. Many considered the granite cot –a master piece of art and craft of the sculptor –as the sanctum sanctorum.

wITH SO MUCH OF SIGNIFICANCE BEHIND THIS EDIFICE, UTTER NEGLECT ON THE PART OF THE GOVERNEMT LET TO ITS COLLAPSE.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad indeed.The Kerala Gov, it seems is interested only in sponcering oil massages to forign tourists.
    Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

eRANIYAL PALACE IS GOVERNED BY TAMIL NADU. THE A S I CAN TAKE OVER THE PALACE AND RENOVATE IT AND DECLARE IT AS A PROTECTED MONUMENT. BUT...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REPLY

Quote Originally Posted by padmanabha
    eRANIYAL PALACE IS GOVERNED BY TAMIL NADU.
    Thiru Padmanabha, I'm Feeling very sorry for my ignorance.
    Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy.

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The TN Government is very bad at looking after old monuments. Near my native place is an old temple which dates to the Chola times. The walls around the tank collapsed some years ago. It is still walless, and the collapsed remains of the wall are still lying in the tank. In another temple in Thanjavur, there were ancient murals on the temple wall, from the time of Vikkirama Chozhan. The government replastered and whitewashed the walls. No more murals.
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    The TN Government is very bad at looking after old monuments. Near my native place is an old temple which dates to the Chola times. The walls around the tank collapsed some years ago. It is still walless, and the collapsed remains of the wall are still lying in the tank. In another temple in Thanjavur, there were ancient murals on the temple wall, from the time of Vikkirama Chozhan. The government replastered and whitewashed the walls. No more murals.
    Incidentally, did u see the latest colour they've painted the Central Stn. (formerly brick red)??

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sad..................while UNESCO declare various places around world and our countries as/ to world heritage site, we are unable to protect ur own heritage sites ................so classic we!
    its something like we will only value urself and ur history when it comes out a foreigners mouth, rules and restrictions!

Sorry never meant to hurt anyone. When reading this post, it just came, sorry again!
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    Hmm.. Isn't the ASI supposed to take over such historic monuments? I know that the ASI's resources are stretched, but that doesn't stop them from being enthusiastic in increasing the number of monuments in their care. Even the public can write to ASI about monuments that they think require attention!! Maybe we should do that.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannannn
    Hmm.. Isn't the ASI supposed to take over such historic monuments? I know that the ASI's resources are stretched, but that doesn't stop them from being enthusiastic in increasing the number of monuments in their care. Even the public can write to ASI about monuments that they think require attention!! Maybe we should do that.
    In Thanjavur almost every village has a temple dating to the Chola period. What can the ASI do with paltry money the Central Government gives it? It focuses its attention on major monuments, like the Madurai Meenakshi temple where they have been doing an excellent job. Recently they restored some of the murals there, using exactly the same materials which were used to produce paints in the Pandiyan days.

Less significant temples of this sort are the responsibility of the Tamil Nadu government. But they have other priorities for spending money, like free colour TVs...
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense. But I remember seeing a small burial site dating to Tipu's time in Karnataka with a board that said: "Protected under the 'blah, blah..' Act by the ASI'. Maybe the responsibility to bring ASI into the picture rests on the state government too. Our only hope is for more people to stay indoors, watching their newly aquired TV, thus decreasing the chances of desecration to such temples.
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."