Thread: collectors' envy

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

collectors' envy

In the compact air conditioned room, less than a dozen drawers are packed with audio cassettes. It is designed in such a way as to keep the entire standard and long play record discs are free from dust. Each disc is inserted in a specially made cover and is neatly labeled.

These are the collection of songs sung exclusively by play back singer Jayachandran and are the result of untiring effort taken by Pradeep Kumar, an ardent fan of Jayachandran.

“I developed a liking for his voice when I was a child. My controlled my tantrums by exploiting this weak ness. On those days radio was the only means to hear film songs. I started collecting Gramophone records of Jayachandran’s songs. When the disc ceased to exist audio cassettes became popular. Now it is being replaced by CDs. CD writing is going on now” said Pradeep.

Pradeep started taking tuition classes when he was the final year M Sc student. SINCE THEN I STARTED INVESTING MONEY on buying gramophones and cassettes. In his house at POOJAPPURA, radio is always on and Pradeep could be seen eagerly waiting to hear and record Jayachandran’s songs.

I installed a special antenna atop a coconut tree, to receive radio Ceylon. I could record many number of songs including his Telugu numbers.
    I have all his Malayalam songs except MANMADANAAM CHITRAKARAN in the film ENIYUM KAANAAM. Regarding other language songs he said, “I am yet to collect a few Telugu songs. Even the jingles by Jayachnadran to promote family planning are also with me.”

Pradeep posses’ five record players and he had purchased all the available spare parts in bulk from the company so that in case of repair the defect can be rectified.

I have invested a lot. In those days when the cost of petrol was selling at the rate of Rs. 3 per liter, the cost of standard disc was 28 and the long play was Rs. 56. I frequented Tamil Nadu for the purchased his Tamil songs. From some duets Pradeep has erased the female voice. I have no aversion towards the lady singers but I want to hear only Jayachandran.

One day he procured Jayachandran’s address and wrote to him. He even invited him to his residence.
    ‘He saw my collection and was awe struck. We are good friends now. During one of his Gulf programs he came to attend my wedding and returned in the next flight.” He reminisces.

Pradeep is highly possessive by nature. I will not lend am single cassette of song to any body not even to Jayachandran. He once asked me for the song “Ente Neela Mizhikal” (FILM VADAKKE VEETTILAE ADITHI) and I refused. But I recorded the song for him and gave him a copy” he said. (463 words)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement