Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :P

mm.. true story ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    chevy : your command over English is good and u hv a nice, casual style of narration . and your description of lecturers is .

on the whole your story is
    seekram update paNNupa .

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

September is half over. Just another month and half and I got to sit for the Common Proficiency Test. In the CA institute, we have fun in our own ways. The lecturers at the Insti don’t really care whether we listen or not. It’s a professional institute. You got to be mature enough to listen and prepare if you want to pass. That’s the attitude. After an exhausting day at college , I come to the insti totally fatigued , keep the study material on my lap, pretend to be reading and fall asleep. In the beginning my enthusiasm to become a chartered accountant made me sit in the first row, made friends there and our gang always sat in the front row. Unlike the usual first bench nerdy lot, we are the crooks who sit on the first row and do everything other than listen. Initially there was not much of an interaction between the students. People came for the lecture and left just like that. Neither “hi” nor “bye”. I assumed they wouldn’t notice, nor care even if they did notice the first row sleepers. The tables were arranged in such a way that in the middle a partition was left that permitted the lecturers to walk up and down the aisle. The guys sat on one side and the girls on the other.

The very first day, I made a late entry. I walked into the hall of more than a hundred students and went and sat on the first row. Every face in the hall turned back to see the bold kid coming for the class late and then, walking down the aisle and sitting in the first row like a big time academic geek!

“Students, Please refer the notice board outside if you want to know which lecturer will be coming for a particular day and for which subject. Each lecture is two hours and two lectures each day.”!!

What??????????????
    Two hours for a lecture???
    Two lectures per day?????
    I felt like someone had just slapped me across my face.

[to be continued]

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    preethi's message...................
    Anbe Sivam

Junior Member Junior Hubber Mystic's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    “Girls!! I am very sorry to tell you. All of you are very unprofessional. ( Podi goyya. Ni mattum ena ? ).
    Our college is not like other colleges ( Yeah. We are the worst !! ). We work after hours and very often on weekends. ( yenga Uyira vangurathukey teachera poranthiya? )
    (Podi dubuku. Crazy mouse-sized copy cat. Can’t shout to a student with her own words. Wait. Our time will come.)

chevy great going

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes ..lamby .. i ve posted an old pic of chennai central station.. .and did ya read the story .. comments ?
    Tats an old pic.?? Hmm....oh, well nvr mind!
    Oh yea, altho jus had to read faster than I normally do, as I'm in a net cafe'!
    This part esp. is hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    ....It is to keep us in this jail till two o’clock. )
    2 o'clock huh?? Wow, tats like lucky! I've known of colleges (private ones atleast) here in AP tat go upto 5-6pm!
    Or is this sum kinda govt. college viz. Stella Maris? :P

....I was appointed in this college even before the first peon was.
    I'd hav been tempted to retort to this- aha....appidina peon vaele ellam kuda munne un keyile senji vekavaala? :P

'k gta run now.....lookin fwd to reading more!

Post Thanks / Like

CA classes go on as usual. I attended it but as mentally elsewhere. I missed my old friends at Kinshasa. An American guy, Sean about my age had moved into a villa just next to ours, with his parents just before I left Kinshasa. Mom had invited them for dinner once and we got introduced. He was totally disinterested with life in Kinshasa and we often fought over our differences in opinion about the city. Never the less , we became good pals in less than four weeks. We promised we’d mail each other regularly. I did as I promised but he hadn’t replied even once. When I went to Kinshasa for vacations, he had gone for a safari holiday with his folks.

It’s only when I sit in CA classes, especially during those economics lectures, I’ll be lost in my world of imagination and dreams. Sometimes I’ll dream about the great promising future and sometimes about the happy days of the past. My old school , my house, our ten year old Chevy, my friends , my old crushes, my childhood enemies, embarrassing moments , ecstatic moments, then ... hmmm.. Sean...

Once I was thinking about funny experience and I didn’t realize I was smiling. Suddenly, I noticed someone smiling back. Opps! I sat up and gathered myself. Some guy had assumed I was smiling at him and when he displayed his jawful of teeth I got so shocked, I chided myself for being so thoughtless. Poor guy, must have had wild dreams seeing a girl smiling at him for so long.

Another day, I noticed another guy, in a white and black striped shirt , staring at me for quite a long time. I pretended to not notice. Then I caught him staring at me again another day and he quickly turned away. And it began happening pretty often. Once I wanted to walk up to him and ask, ‘Any problem? Do I owe you anything?’

Huh! Life’s beginning to frustrating. Shailaja’s classes were homicidal. Vishnu Women’s College, holy crap! God only knows why it is so popular! Shailaja often called for extra classes. What disconcerted us all the more was her constant, “Girls ! Please do not take additional courses like Chartered accountancy! The B.com. course that our college puts quite a lot of pressure on the students. And I don’t want to hear excuses like , ‘I have C.A. class , C.S. class, C.W.A class, NIIT, etc? The B.com from our college is the best. It is more than enough, girls!’

This is the thing about her that we hate the most. Who is she to tell us that we shouldn’t take up additional courses. To be frank most girls have taken B.com. as an additional course, keeping their professional courses as the priority. Just incase they fail to clear their professional exams, at least the B.com degree would help. We all fumed in indignation whenever she spoke like that.

I reproduced my own hilarious version of Shailaja’s speeches during the breaks and in the C.A. class. Once while entertaining my comrades during a break in C.A. class, the white and black striped guy kept casting glances towards my side. I ignored. Actually, I was too engrossed in amusing the people around me so I didn’t care. When I’d finished narrating one hilarious incident , the guy laughed with the rest. Hmmm, So he’s listening to me.

It was obvious that he was looking. But I couldn’t tell in what sense? I realized I was always the centre of attraction because I was loud and talkative and of course, I loved making people laugh. Probably he just wanted to enjoy some humor too.

In the C.A. class I spoke to anyone and everyone who sat beside me , but decided I’ll make good pals only with very few carefully selected people. So, we were a gang of six. Myself, Anu , Pavithra, Rathnam, Mahesh and Kadhir. Once all six of us started hanging around together, I stopped my public amusement and spoke only with my pals. Of course as a group, we made great noise and have been chucked out of the Insti reading hall loads of times.

One day, Anu and Pavi didn’t show up and I was sitting on the girls side alone. Rathna was as usual in his world of music and Mahesh and Kadhir were chatting away with other guys. I was sitting alone on the girls’ side when the black and white striped shirt guy came up to me and said, “Hi, did you take down all the maths notes that S.S.L. sir gave?” “Hmmm. But you won’t understand my handwriting.....”
    “It’s okay. You are in Vishnu Women’s College, no?” ( hello ... they are not going to ask that in CPT)
    “Yeah. You?”
    “Madras Christian College”
    “Oh okay nice! Which course”
    “B.Sc. (Mathematics)” ( what ?????)
    “Oh okay! Why Math ?”
    “’coz that’s what I got in MCC”
    “what course did you want ?”
    “B.com. like everyone else”
    “B.com-general? Or Accounting-finance? Marketing management? ..”
    “Some B.com... why? Which B.com are u in?”
    “General”
    “Hmmm.... I got B.com in two colleges but got only Mathematics in MCC”
    “What’s so special in MCC?”
    “What’s what? What are you asking? Are you new here? Come on MCC. The prestigious MCC.” (Enough man ..... )
    “Oh I didn’t know it is prestigious”
    “Err.... yeah it is.”

We didn’t know what to talk next. Hesitation. Then an awkward Silence which he broke after a minute, “Okay sir will come now. I’ll give the book to you after taking notes down.” (Cha! Say something more interesting stupid)
    “Yeah, sure. No problem”

All through the next lecture I kept wondering how to continue the conversation.

Probably he’ll say, “Thank you for your book” or just “Hey, your book” and give it to me. I’ll take it and say , “ Hmmm.. By the way, what’s your name?” Whoa ! Girl, that’s a good idea!

Probably he was just listening to me talk and not really staring at me. In simple Chennai Tamil he wasn’t “Sight adichufying”.

Hey, wait. Can I be so naïve? As my friend Insharah used to say, “No man is a saint. Always be cautious”.

Cha I’m going to play safe. Why bother talking to this guy. Let him return the book. Take it and forget him.

The class got over. The striped black and white striped shirt guy came over and said,
    “Hey, Your book. Thanks.”
    “You’re welcome”
    “Okay bye then. Got to leave. Thought this fellow will lecture the whole night!” (Hmmm.. thank god. But i thought you'll say something more and flirt for sometime. Err.. Don't you want to?)
    “Yeah...Bye”

Phew! Hey, that was longer than it was needed. You should have taken the book and turned away girl! You should have said
    “Bye” to the guy first! Cha!

Just as I was walking down the Institute steps,
    “Hey, by the way, what’s your name” ( Damn, girl you should have walked faster...)
    “Lalita” ( but affectionately people call me ...... cha ..why tell him all this..)
    “Nice name” (Standard statement. Can’t you think of something more chivalrous?)
    “And what is yours?”
    “Raman” ( Hmmm... not bad. Thought you’ll have one of those Tamilian tongue twister names. Well Raman, I’ll find out very soon what you are up to.)
    "Okay bye. Good night"

[to be continued]

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy : kathai nallavE pOguthu . do check ur pm !

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    chevy........................
    I wish i could study in india
    Anbe Sivam

Post Thanks / Like

Loads of people commute by public transport in India. Buses are no exception. You’ll see people hanging from the buses. When I first saw a bus with guys hanging on the sides, it reminded me of the Leaning tower of Pisa. Later, I comprehended that it was due to over population in India that people had no place to even stand in the city buses. No place to sit. No place to stand. So if you want to get somewhere by bus, you better hang on to these buses.

Many of my friends went by bus. I badly wanted to try it once. Seriously, I initially thought it was some excitement I had missed in life.
    People blurted, “What?” or “Kaaaa.. ...thu ..” , when I moaned to them, “I’ve never had the city bus experience”
    “You don’t have any other wishes in life?”
    “Wow. Don’t worry Lalita. We’ll pray your wish comes true”

Once, the driver hadn’t come, so Patti hadn’t come to pick me up at the college gate. She called up and told me she’d come in an auto rickshaw to take me home. That was the end.
    “You can’t go alone or what ?”
    “Cha... five feet and six inches tall... can’t go home alone, big girl?”
    I became the butt of all jokes for a week or so. Soon, I was nick named , Big B( big baby).

Another day, my beloved driver absented himself again, adding more to my Patti’s fury. She rang up to tell me to wait for a while but I convinced her that my friend wants to come home so I’ll come with her. Blah.. blah.. She finally allowed. Half heartedly.

My friend and I, first took the 41D bus to SIET and then a 12B to T.Nagar.
    Hmmm, nice. I liked it. It was so cheap and fun. Waiting for the bus. Getting on to it. There are other people in the bus. They watch you. You watch them too. Pay the conductor. He’ll give you a small ticket printed on colored recycled cheap paper. I preserved my ticket as if it was a rare to find stamp. My first bus travel, you see? Then looking out for your stop and getting down at the right time at the right place. Nice! Really, I liked it.

Another day, four of us had to go for project work so we took the dreadful 29C bus to Mylapore. Oh God of all deities! Man, I was crushed! Human Jam! Huh! I am glad I am alive now. I got no place. I had to stand on the board. I thought only guys stood there. Initially, I assumed people had no place to stand inside so they hung outside the bus. Later I realized there were a bunch of fools who loved waiting till the bus started, then ran behind and jumped onto the board. My friend told me some guys did it to impress girls. What? What’s so heroic in running behind bus and climbing on to it? Don’t tell me the women, that too, the ever-cautious and intelligent Indian women fall pray for this?

My friend just dismissed discussing the topic. “They are just putting scene ,ya”. ( Errr.... what did you mean by that?)In Chennai Tamil, there is a word coined for anything someone does to impress another.
    “Scene”.
    “Avan Scene podran”.
    “Over scene.”

Sheesh. People want to risk their lives just to put scene or what?
    I stood on the board and held the sidebar tightly just in case I fall and die under the wheels.

Seriously, on that day, I decided. Hereafter, I don’t want to play, Spider-man on these city buses again.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast