Thread: versatile actress sukumari

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

versatile actress sukumari

She had donned the paint for the first time at the age of seven. From the child artiste to the heroine then to the essaying of character roles, comedian mother grand mother Sukumari has acted in Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Oriya and Bengali.
    The Malayalam cinema is 77 years old and it is hard to believe that Sukumari is in the industry for 56 years!! I am happy that people still like me. That keeps me engaged as well” said the actress whose versatility had endeared to her a whole generation of cinema goers in South India. Her brand of acting, dialogue delivery, ability to get into the character ensured her a flood of offers. Even today Sukumari has just Kalpana to content with (in Malayalam) when we consider the comedy aspect. Apart from silver screen, Sukumari has made her mark in the mini screen as well that are of course tearjerkers.

In her long innings she has acted with artistes like ATYAN, ADOOR BHASI, PREM NAZEER, S P PILLAI, BHADUR, SOMAN, SUKUMARAN, JAYAN, MAMMOOTTY, MOHANLAL, MUKESH, SIDDIQUE, PRITHIVIRAJ, DILEEP AND KUNJACKO BOBAN. IN TAMIL she has acted with SIVAJI GANESAN, MUTHURAMAN, SIVAKUMAR, and then with their childen PRABHU, KARTHIK SURYA.
    Wehm asked her about her dream role, she said, “ALL ARE GOOD ONES. AS FAR AS THE PERFROMANCE ASPECT IS CONCERNED, I THINK I CAN STILL DO BETTER. It is this enthusiasm that made me what I am today.”

Though Sukumari is yet to be bestowed with any sort of recognition from the Malayalam filmdom, Tamil Nadu conferred her with Kalaimami and Kalaielvam titles.
    I have no expectations or regret. People like my acting and I am happy. TV SERIALS MADE ME MORE POPULAR, globally and viewers consider me as part of their family.”

Recollecting her earlier experiences she said,
    “Ours was a period struggle. We had to spend the income to run the family, right from paying the rent. Today the new comers are from well to do families.”

As a dancer she has staged 5000 shows, under the banner of Puahpanjali. She has performed dance shows with the trios Lalitha-Padmini-Ragini, Radha Sulochana and Kusal kumari. Initailly “I was just called to performed a solo or a group dance. I do not represent any school of dance. Saraswati Amma mother the trio insisted on us to familiar with all forms of dance.”

For the past 35 years she has ben associated with Viveka Fine Arts Club of CHO.RAMASWAMI. The club has staged many times its eight plays including TUKLAQ, YARUKKUM VEDKKAMILLAI, AND UNMAYAE UN VILAI ENNA. The themes are relevant even today. We portray the same role. The playwright never changed the dialogues or situations to suit the current social set up.

Dialogue delivery has all along been Sukumari’s forte. She is capable of slipping into the required dialect and language with consummate ease. She is still the first choice for the role of fiery mothers. “These stage plays provide the confidence to deliver the dialogues and make the artiste free from inhibitions.”

Being awarded Padmasree, she is a contented actress, and says “I am grateful to the Almighty for all his blessings. I am happy, healthy and financially independent. I am glad that I could help the needy.”
    Any intention of venturing into direction?
    “No never. I do not have any intention of spoiling my husband’s name. He had directed plenty of good films.” She quipped. 568 words.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved her performances in 'Boeing-Boeing', Sasneham, Vandanam, Poochakkaru mookuthi etc..............what a woman- quite a miracle! I am sure there's no one even in World Cinema who can be as flexible as her!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I admire the way you write about these phenomenons but certain data in ur write-up is wrong, padmanabha. If u google 'sukumari' u'll know. I request u to do through research before you write something.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Every thing i write is based my interview with these personalities.Ii HAVE JOTTED DOWN WHAT THEY HAVE PROVIDED.