Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of standing Gods

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The word 'lingam' in sanskrit simply means just 'symbol'. Nothing to do with any private part. Some westerners have made up this story that Sivalingam is Siva's private part!
    (Please read the book 'The art of God symbolisation' by Swami Chinmayananda).

Siva is the Lord of Yama himself and the 'Annihilator' among the Trinity of Hinduism. He always live in cremation grounds, covering himself with ashes (that is why Hindus wear the 'bhasma' or ashes on their foreheads). A good example is 'Kashi' or Varanasi which is nothing but a huge cremation ground!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Braandan, your explanations are very simple and nice. Here in Malaysia we have a Sivan temple in Sentul, facing a Hindu crematorium.
    Great men think alike

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    The word 'lingam' in sanskrit simply means just 'symbol'. Nothing to do with any private part. Some westerners have made up this story that Sivalingam is Siva's private part!
    (Please read the book 'The art of God symbolisation' by Swami Chinmayananda).

Siva is the Lord of Yama himself and the 'Annihilator' among the Trinity of Hinduism. He always live in cremation grounds, covering himself with ashes (that is why Hindus wear the 'bhasma' or ashes on their foreheads). A good example is 'Kashi' or Varanasi which is nothing but a huge cremation ground!
    Indeed, Vibuthi is a remainder to us mundane humans, this perishable body is nothing but dust(ash), meaning , v all will turn into ash / dust one day!

Senior Member Regular Hubber nms's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    What's wrong with Shiva linga kept at home?

I've been told that idols should not be kept in poojaroom because they acquire some kind of 'strength' and if you miss the pooja even for a day ( if you are not at home for a few days or something), its really bad. So, I've kept all my idols in the show case in the living room.
    For the same reason which you have said. SivaLinga is an idol. Also SivaLingam is originally meant to be in 'Smasaanam' (cremation/burial ground), all Siva temples are supposed to be cremation grounds or nearby/attached to them. Same reason why it is said one must sit for sometime at SivaTemples after dharshan before returning home, so that even the soil stuck to your feet is not taken home.
    NEW news to me.I was taught that - Being insisted to sit a while in a temple after worshipping the deity, is only to meditate the figure of the deity.Also the large Mandapams were being used for mediation only.

±ñ½¢Â ±ñ½¢Â¡íÌ ±öÐÀ ±ñ½¢Â¡÷
    ¾¢ñ½¢Â÷ ¬¸ô ¦ÀÈ¢ý - ¾¢ÕìÌÈû(666).

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Erica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah i too believe that Shiva Linga should not be kept at home since i too have come across some bitter exp. but, my inlaws have a small idol of Shiva in their pooja room. My Fil told me they are having it for the past 20 yrs or so

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys! I also heard from my neighbour in india that u cannot keep standing god idols because they will not stay in your house. But as we all agree on that we wont get murugan and vekatachalapathy's idol sitting . Even for Lakshmi idol, people say that u shld have the one who is sitting instead of standing as it symbolises that lakshmi will be sitting in your home all the time. But my opinion: god is everywhere, it doesnt matter whether u have them sit or stand as long as you pray to god with good intension . What do u guys think? Anybody agree with me????

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with you absolutely, Mokshani

If your God cannot even stand in one place for you, what is the point of worshipping Him or Her?

All this is just foolish supersition!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sitting.. standing.. reclining.. whats the difference ?

thats why 108 vaishvanite shrines are having Lord Vishnu in all different poses..

its all for us.. as per our wish..

really GOD is nirguNa brahmam..

its all in our mind only..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber dinesh2002's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm....im my pooja place.... i have a Lord Shiva picture frame,a Lord Shiva statue that has Him sitting in the Yoga style with his eyes open, and 1 Shiva Lingam i made my self out of paper clay... is it wrong people??? and yea...im having a bad time in my life now...but i wouldnt blame it on the Shiva Lingam.... do enlighten me !!
    Madhushree's HERO (Tamil Version) feat. Tale Spin, Lyrics by me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqPYBSABOWc

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not exactly...the undeniable truth is that god lives in every particle of his creation...praying to him as idols wunt make any difference by a simple mental prayer. Usually whatever bad or good happens in ur life are the outcome of decisions that are made by you yourself..so you have to analyse your previous decisions to see what can be the solution.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast