Discuss about

IR vs Sankar Ganesh
    IR vs Chandrabose
    IR vs Hamsaleka
    IR vs Deva
    IR vs TR

Don't take MSV and ARR, next came MDs after ARR
    Atleast TR had his own creativity......
    hamsalekha.... just very few films in Tamil.....
    others are just do a copy of previous IR works

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanjeevi

Enpa theva illama IRa matha MDsoda compare seyure and in the process , unknowingly you are bringing his level to theirs

Raja is way way way above all these MDs

Anaa onnu, Deva 90sula patta kilapinaru for Rajini movies

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    When amman creations' `kannipparuvaththilE' was a big hit (`nadaya mAththu' `adi ammAdi chinnappoNNu' 'pattu vaNNa rOsAvAm') followed by the success of 'pAlaivanachchOlai' (`mEghamE mEghamE' 'pournami nEram pAvai oruththi'), S-G was riding on a big high. (Though some of these hits were blatant lifts or heavy inspirations, who cared? Success is all what matters in TF).

As usual, kumudam, which never liked Raja's rule, and picked on him every now and then, wrote in the lights on that S-G is current #1.

Then there was Rajendar who had a stupendous success with OTR (though there were a few who wanted to share the credit with A A Raj whose contribution is by now totally ignored)...and followed it with string of hit songs in 'rayil payaNangaLil' 'kiLinjalkal' 'uyiruLLavarai usha' 'thangaikkOr geetham' 'mythili ennaikkAdhali...The interesting part is these were reasonably time spaced (like the initial mega hits of ARR) and thus had more broadcast/buscast/teashopcast etc, eclipsing some of the contemporary songs of IR that were musically more complex, out-of-the-world orchestration, even moderately hit songs...

Other than these brief / occasional challenges from these two, there was hardly any competition for IR. (i.e. after MSV ran out of gas...with nothing really big after `sippi irukkudhu' and 'vidiya vidiya solliththaruvEn'...)

Chandrabose was a sponsored musician (by AVM) who had very limited capabilities and thus never challenged Raja and Deva literally worshipped him. (Hamsalega was our guest from kannadA field, let's not count him)

Post Thanks / Like
    There were also :

1. Shyam
    2. MD name not coming to my mind - Aziyadha kolangal but famous in Kerala movies
    3. S.A. Rajkumar ( later )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakeeran
    2. MD name not coming to my mind - Aziyadha kolangal but famous in Kerala movies
    salil choudry a bengaali..... he done less than 5 films in tamil, i think so

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shyam was extremely talented and had nice variety. He hit bigger in Malayalam than Thamizh...but never a big challenger to Raja...Many in the DF here acknowledge Salil Chowdhry dearly...as a true all-round composer with excellent WCM/BGM skills and a predecessor to Raja -some even call him the pioneer- in those areas. Again, not big (i.e. commercially) to be counted as a challenger in TFM. SAR had a big hit in pudhu vasantham (but kept repeating those tunes n number of times) and then went into oblivion. He had some commercial success only in the post-IR era.

That way, there were a number of one/few film successes like Manoj-Gyan etc.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..and there were Gangai Amaran, Devendran (Vedham Pudhidhu)...

Chandrabose and Devendran, IMO, were pulled in only to counter IR. Devendran was proposed as a de-facto with Bharathiraja during the IR-BR breakup...he did have a nice orchestration (Kannukkul Nooru nilavaa) but due to the huge IR-impression that ppl had on BR movies, unable to fathom the lengths in BGM dept... (no one can even come near, again IMO).

Hamsaleka too was a beneficiary of the IR-BR breakup.. his biggest hit would be Paruva Raagam and BR roped him in for Kodi Parakkudhu (?).

Chandrabose hit big-time marquee with 'Manidhan' and was becoming quite a rage with Sankar Guru, Oru Thottil Sabadham (Poonchittu kuruvigalaa..), Kadhanayagan, Raja chinna Roja, Naan Pudicha Mappillai (to me, that was the last real hit he gave).

Then there was Maragadhamani, pulled up by KB to be the next challenger for IR.. he did provide some light-music variety (IMO) songs in Azhagan, Vaanamey Ellai (mainly keyboard,synthesizers).. but was a huge hit in Telugu for whatever reasons. Then KB-MR revealed ARR..!!

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    U left out the main Isay Saral S A Rajkumar alias la lala Rajkumar..

In Pudu vasantham vikaraman wud have dialogues like "My film will run if i have md's like ir and not new faces like u"..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wov thanks for your response

Now the revised pairs

IR vs Sankar Ganesh
    IR vs Chandrabose
    IR vs Hamsaleka
    IR vs Deva
    IR vs TR
    IR vs Vedha
    IR vs Devendran
    IR vs Shyam