Thread: sri vidya

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

sri vidya

It never happened before. Amma Thampuratti a recently commenced serial in Malayalam by the renowned director Sreekumaran Thampi, was on. Suddenly the director appeared on the screen with an apology: “I have decided to wind up this serial. Srividya who is performing the central character is not well and hence we have decided not to continue this serial with another actress. I have conceived the character with Srividya in my mind.”
    That shows the magnanimity of the director and the respect and regards for the renowned actress Srividya.

Sometimes back I had the opportunity to interview this great actress. I would like to share what she had shared with me.
    Srividya the vivacious movie star now portraying heavy roles on the mini screen is a person who is still talked about with awe admiration. Discernign viewers may recall her performasnce in Rachana, Edavazhiyile Poocha. Mindaa poocha, Kattathe kilikkoodu, Daivathinde vikruthikal, Adaminde Variyellu in Malayalam and plenty of classic films in Tamil like Chollathan ninaikkiren, Apoorvaragangal etc.

Srividya shared her experiences from the cozy comfort of her residence in PTP Nagar, in THIRUVANANTHAPURAM.

A flair for fine arts is there in my blood. My mother the legendary singer M L Vasanthakumari, wanted me to become a dancer and accordingly I was trained by Dandayudhpani of Kalashetra when I was five. He was the tutor of Vaijayanthimala. Three years later, my master asked to me to take classes for the juniors.

Our association with Lalitha Padmini Ragini and Sukumari made my entry into the film world easier. Pappiamma was our neighbor. She was at the peak of fame. I had accompanied her to the sets many times. I could meet Rajkumar, Nargis, Dilipkumar, PranThe desire of acting sprouted. Arc lights, make-up rooms, busy schedules, the ambience at the sets influenced me.

My first film was Thriuvarurselvar, starring Sivaji Ganesan. She was noticed in Malayalam with Chattambikavala. She had acted with the matinee idols like Kamala Hassan, Rajanikant, Madhu and Nazeer. She has acted in 900 films in four languages namely, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Telugu.

“In those days, we had dialogue directors, and coaches. Before each shot, he taught us the dialogues with tonal fluctuation. The accent was very important. The films were really talkies. Turning points in the films took place through dialogues only. Today dialogues are less and are prompted. We have dubbing artistes too” said Srividya, on the olden days of the silver screen.

Edavazhiyile poocha minda poocha and Rachana fetched her the state award for the best actress. This competent actress had acted in films directed by K Balachander who always maintained an edge over others.

“I love to do a dual role and that of a comedian-these two are my dream roles” she said. However she does not find any difference between acting for small and big screens.
    IN 1996 WHEN I ACTED for the mini screen CONCLUDED THAT MY career in films is all over. Today I see them as directors and producers of mega serials. Vasundara medicals, Avicharitham, venal mazha were the popular serials of Srividya.

Srividya is a good composer of music. “In music I was not trained in the way aiming at performance. If you want to take music seriously you have to follow certain dos and don’ts-and they were not pragmatic for the life style of a busy actor. When I met Sai Baba, he advised, to proceed with composing songs. In fact I was reinventing myself. I have composed a number of Tamil songs set to classical tunes” she explained.

Caught in a web of marital problems, squabbles, followed by court cases she emerged with clean chit. “This I believe is due to my staunch faith in Sai Baba” she said.

“In films I never consider myself an outstanding artiste. My marriage was a failure. The chain of events that followed separation drained my mental peace and bank balance. I filed a case to prove my honesty and I won. My meeting with the Swamiji provided the strength to fight the odds. Life was indeed a struggle. I learnt from my own mistakes. Even if the call comes tomorrow to the yonder blue I am ready” she waxes eloquent.

(indian express 17-7 2004)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement