Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Malayalam Film Music

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 1980 movie "manjil virinja pookkaL" (Flowers That Bloomed in the Mist) was a landmark in Malayalam cinema. It was the first movie of director Fazil, actors Mohanlal and Poornima Jayaram, and music director Jerry Amaldev. Actor Shankar also had his Malayalam debut in the movie, having acted in "oru thalai raagam" (Tamil) prior to that. The story was based on the Hollywood thriller "Sleeping With The Enemy"

The move was a big hit; and so were the songs, with lyrics by Bichu Thirumala.

"manjaNi kombil..." (S. Janaki - happy version)

"manjaNi kombil..." (S. Janaki - pathos version)

"mizhiyOram nananjozhukum..." (KJY)

"mizhiyOram nilaavalayO..." (S. Janaki)

"manjaadi kunnil maNimukilukaL..." (KJY and Vani Jayaram)

Footnote:

Mohanlal acted in 1978 in "thiranOttam", but the movie was never released commercially. For those who are interested, here is Mohanlal's first ever scene/dialogue in a movie(that was released!):

2. Likes Russellmai liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    The videos from "manjil virinja pookkaL" posted above are of poor quality. Here is an audio link to the songs:

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=186...93433490480957

Post Thanks / Like
    Song: "sivadham sivanaamam shri paarvatheeswara naamam..."

Movie: MAZHAVILLU (1999)

Music: Mohan Sithara

Raagam: Darbari Kanada

Lyrics: Kaithapram

Singers: K.J. Yesudas/K.S. Chithra

6. Likes Russellmai liked this post
    Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    An article by 'padiththuRai' Suga on 'his highness abdullA' :
    http://solvanam.com/?p=17433

Both the article & the songs featured are not to be missed (my favourite 'gOpikA vasantham' is there)!

Raveedran Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Suga has built-in sense of humor

A couple of them from the solvanam article :

பாடலின் துவக்கத்தில் ரம்மியமான முறையில் ‘ஜோக்’ ராகத்தை பாடுவதன் மூலம், மகாராஜாவுடன் நம்மையும் இழுத்து தன்வசம் அமர்த்தி விடுகிறார், யேசுதாஸ். ’ப்ரமதவனம்’ என்று தொடங்கும் அந்தப் பாடலை ரவீந்திரன் மெட்டமைத்திருக்கும் முறையையும், யேசுதாஸ் அதைப் பாடியிருக்கும் விதத்தையும் பார்த்து, ‘ஜோக்’ ராகத்தின் மேல் ஆசை கொண்டு, யாரும் அந்தப் பாடலைப் பாட முயன்றால் ‘ஜோக்’(Jog), ’ஜோக்’ (Joke) ஆகிவிடும் அபாயம் உண்டு.
    ஒரே ஒரு ஷாட்டில் மிக மென்மையாக மனதுக்குள் ரசிப்பதை உதட்டில் ஒரு சின்ன ‘ப்ச்’ மூலம் காண்பிக்கும் சுகுமாரி, தப்பும் தவறுமாக தாளம் போட்டபடி அமர்ந்திருக்கும் ஜெகதீஷ், எந்த விதமான உடற்பயிற்சி முறைகளையும், மலச்சிக்கல் முனகல்களையும் முகத்தில் காட்டாமல் இயல்பான சங்கீதக்காரனின் உதட்டசைவுகளை தன் மனதிலிருந்து பாடுவதன் மூலம் அற்புதமாகக் காட்டி நடித்திருக்கும் மோகன்லால், பாடலின் இறுதியில் கண்கலங்கி தன்நிலை மறந்து ததும்பி நிற்கும் கைதப்புரம் , இவர்கள் அனைவரையும் தனது இசைமேதமையால் தாண்டி நிற்கும் ரவீந்திரன் என இந்தப் பாடல் மலையாளத் திரையிசை வரலாற்றின் மிக முக்கிய பதிவு என்றால் அது மிகையில்லை

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW! What a writeup! This is the best review ( appreciation) of Raveendran's music that I have ever read, in any language; and I have read quite a few of them! Listened to the songs again and again while reading the writeup, and enjoyed them even more. Thank you app_engine!

Note: Some of the attached links for songs did not work for me; but all the songs are on Youtube. Do not miss the other song "tu badi maasha allah..."

Post Thanks / Like
    yw, raagadevan!

I've watched HHA a few times on theater and many times on VHS. The song youtubes - well, I've lost count Phenomenal!

BTW, Suka is a wonderful writer and had done a few other articles on solvanam, please check them out as well. (The one about shehnAi vidwans who regularly played for IR is fantastic, for e.g. Then there're others -about karNan, Jency...our fellow hubber Sureshs65 too has written a few articles there , on music )

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatta Song!!! Has really grown into me for the past few days....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arvind,
    Not sure, if you knew Aaro Nee Aaro was lifted from this one. It hurts when we have rich treasure of music in India, we shamelessly steal from outside, that too entire tune. Even if the director insisted it is the responsibility of music director to decline. Most of all these music directors are just few films old, what a scarcity in talent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god!! What a shame. I wasn't even aware of this. Got to watch Urumi in malayalam a few days back and i was a bit carried away by the singing of KJY and Swetha Mohan along with the wonderful picturisation of Santosh Sivan. Well, the music director needs to be sued for this ( which I hope, had happened )...Thanks for the piece of information, VS

Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast