Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Malayalam Film Music

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

aruvi (@ spc-*) on: Mon Feb 1 23:40:25

Wow! I never knew so many people participating in this forum knew malayalam. Makes me wonder if there are many Malayalees in Toronto. Unfortunately I don't know Malayalam and can't contribute much to this thread. But I have been a daily silent spectator. There was this joke about me actually trying to learn Malayalam about when I was fourteen. But I couldn't because it had to be all self taught. I still remember how to write some of the alphabets though. The biggest problem I had was that I didn't know if I should pronounce words as said in tamil or some other way. Because when you hear people talk in Malayalam in movies, they sound different, although in english, it looks very similar to tamil.

GV
    you say 'manjal prasadvam' is a simple pleasant song that she won a national award for. I have always thought that to win a national award, the song had to have some kind of strong carnatic or hindustani base. Is this song as such?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

GV (@ d4-f*) on: Tue Feb 2 01:19:52

aruvi:

The difficulty for Malayalees in pronouncing Tamil words, and for Tamils to pronounce Malayalam words "properly" is because of the fact that there is a large number of common words written the same way, but pronounced differently in each language. In Malayalam, almost every sound has a specific letter for it. For example, the Tamil letter "ka" has 4 variations in Malayalam, ka, kha, ga, gha. This continues for "tha", "pa", "cha", and on and on and on. More than half of all words in a typical TFM song could mean the same thing in Malayalam, but are pronounced differently. This is one reason why KJY and other singers from Kerala may have an occasional "difficulty" with some Tamil words.

Talking about national awards, it is true that a lot of national awards were given to music and songs based of classical music. But this is not always true. Of the 7 national awards that KJY has won, I don't think there were more than 2 that were really classical based. Malayalam Film Music, unlike the Tamil field, is still very much melody based. This, of course, means that karnatic music is still a major influence. However, I think it is the melody that is the deciding factor.

Another big difference between TFM and MFM is the depth of the relatively small MFM field. There are 10 or more very talented MDs at any given time in MFM. Many of them are national award winners and are well known for their skills. This is true with actors, directors and singers too. Because of this, a discussion like who is better, (for example, MSV, IR or ARR?), will never be possible in MFM.

I hope that I have answered your questions without boring you too much with my long posting!

Post Thanks / Like

GV (@ d4-f*) on: Tue Feb 2 01:28:35

RR:

At this time, I can't remember the song "Kanagaangi...". I have a basement full of audio and video cassettes, but my MFM collection is not much organized (yet). If I am successful in locating the song, I will let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

RR (@ pb.c*) on: Tue Feb 2 02:50:27

GV,
    thanks in advance.

Re your comment MFM is still melody-based, I heard Vidyasagar has become a great attraction in MFM lately with many rhythm-based numbers. I'm not sure about this. Any idea?

Post Thanks / Like

raju (@ pccr*) on: Tue Feb 2 07:29:25

Aruvi & GV, on my first day in kerala as a backpacker I walked into a music shop & asked for any 5 cass of the owners choice bc I didn't know any and that song 'Manjal prasadavum'wason it.The other songs in that film r also classics & the film I believe won awards galore. ^ years later I now read & write Malayalam as well as tamil(I learnt from watching movies). If u know tamil Mal is not as hard as it might sound. I can easily pronounce those sounds u never knew existed in your mouth. Onnu sramitchu nokku. Malayala bhasha padikkyan atthram kashtam onnum alla.

Post Thanks / Like

GV (@ d8-f*) on: Tue Feb 2 08:00:52

Well done, raju. It may not be that hard , if one tries hard enough. The difficulty is mostly with the finer points of the sound. For example, the sound (letter) "di" in the word padikkyan (in your posting) is very hard to write in most other languages. It is not di, ddi, dhi, dti, ti, tdi, tti, or thi. BTW, all these sounds have letters in Malayalam. Similarly, "..kkaam" may come closer than "kkyam".

I was just trying to elaborate on the difficulties. Your effort and achievement in mastering the language are admirable.

RR, and others: Sorry for the digression.

Post Thanks / Like

aruvi (@ spc-*) on: Tue Feb 2 13:52:39

GV
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't bored at all. No need to think like that. Raju, congrats on your achievement. Basically, my problem was that I was using an english-malayalam learn in 30 days book. And honestly, when you look at the words in english, it relates too much to tamil.

Well, to everyone else, sorry for digressing from the topic of this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

GV (@ d7-f*) on: Tue Feb 2 18:53:40

To all Malayalam Film Music Fans:

For one of the most comprehensive collections of Malayalam songs, please visit:
    http://members.tripod.com/~moideen/index-13.html

Post Thanks / Like

cram (@ 206.*) on: Wed Feb 3 04:50:43

gv
    kalakki saarE. ini discusseyyaan aduththa album allengil paattu EthaaNaavO? (naNbargaLe, malayalathila pEsi koncha naaLaachchu, athu thaan. mannikka vEndugirEn)

Post Thanks / Like

cram (@ 206.*) on: Wed Feb 3 11:04:30

another album i would like to discuss is "Isabella", a beautiful film starring Balachandra Menon and Sumalatha. i am not sure about the music composer, but i think it is ouseppachchan. the film depicts the search for true, unconditional love of a rich man, whose relations keep hounding him for money, and who finally finds it in a female guide in Ooty. do they live happily ever after? veLLiththiraiyil, allathu ungaL veettu VCR-il kaaNungaL.

the songs are:
    isabella - KJY, a superb solo with some lovely lyrics (vasantha pushpam polE, oru dhurantha geetham polE...)
    mangalya yaamam - another lovely sole by KJY.
    nEram mangiya nEram - don't know the voice, think its KJY
    there's another song, a solo by S Janaki,but i can't recollect the lines. GV, pls help.

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast