Page 51 of 154 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Hindi songs of Emotional Impact - nostalgic, favorites etc

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shakti not sure if you are still checking this thread, but I vaguely remember you asking for a particular son, is it by any chance the son from guddi, main tho kab se khadi intezar
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haunting song of Talatji, composed by legend S D Burman for film Devdas (1955).
    One of the best pathos song. The song uses just one instrument. Just for the feel which Talatji brings in, show cases how to render a song with almost no backing instrument, yet sound so beautiful,pitch perfect and haunting. One genius of composer, SDB.

And again kudos to director Bimal roy for excellent picturization.
    The song starts with Paro (Suchitra sen) reading a letter. The camera pans up the clouds and trees with lightning (that was beautifully shot).The weather is just about to rain. Devdas sitting on the shore of the calm lake. What a serene atmosphere!!. Dilip Kumar's acting may not match with Talatji's singing, but atleast it seems natural to me.
    I also like that big tree branch on which Dilip is leaning. The song ends again like how it started, with Paro. I don't know how to put it, but one word, Masterpiece!! Whenever I listen to this song, I could not control my tears.

I would even say this is the best Devdas film of all the films made on Devdas.

mitwaa laagi re ye kaisi
    anbujh aag
    mitwaa mitwaa mitwaa nahin aaye
    laagi re ye kaisi

vyaakul jiyaraa, vyaakul nainaa (2)
    ik ik chup mein sau sau bainaa
    rah gaye aansoo lut gaye raag
    mitwaa mitwaa mitwaa mitwaa

(with video) * link corrected, earlier link did not have full song
    (without video).

Post Thanks / Like
    Kekati Gulab Juhi - Basant Bahar (1956) - Shankar Jaikishan

One of the greatest classical song in indian cinema. Added to it, it is a jugalbandi (competition) between two stalwarts. Pt. Bhimsen Joshi and Manna Dey saab. I always relate this song to our 'Thiruvilayadal' song "Oru Naal Pothuma" and "Paattum Naane" (eventhough the tamizh song is not a direct competition song face to face). As per my interaction with elders, they somehow like Dr. Balamurali Krishna's rendition compared to TMS. Similarly, in this song, no one can accept the fact that Pt. Bhimsen Joshi losing to Manna Dey (sings for Bharat Bhushan). It's not about losing or winning, they sing as per directors discretion.

This song is very difficult to sing, and the singers express their vocal abilities with stunning brigas. Manna Dey saab the most underrated singer. We can clearly see his range, up against a giant Pt. Bhimsen Joshi. Especially the end.

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi singing is just amazing!! no words.

Another Big surprise is, while listening to this song for the first time, I guessed the composer might be Naushad Ali saab as he has done similar song in Baiju Bawra (1952) named "Aaj Gaawat Man Mero" sung by Ustad Amir Khan and Pt. D V Paluskar. But to my surprise, the composer is Shankar Jaikishen, who is not popularly known for such type of compositions. Great Composition!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guide (1965) - A Classic by S D Burman

Quote Originally Posted by penguin
    One of the best Hindi movie ever made IMHO!! One of my most favorite and emotional film!!
    A great thing about this movie is, the story is none other by the Great "R K Narayan".

Dev Anand pairing with Waheeda Rehman.
    Legends Rafi, Lata & Kishore bringing soul & life to S D Burman's composition.

- Title song, sung by none other than the composer himself, S D Burman, very rare song!! Soul stirring folk song, Unconventional voice!!
    - The only Kishore kumar song in this film, Great duet song. What a beautiful pair Dev Anand & Waheeda!!
    - Best example of the feeling of first time love. What a sweet song and honey soaked rendition by Lata. Hats off to S D Burman!!
    - Excellent song by Lata and excellent dancing by Waheeda!!
    - Another example of melody, how it should be
    - One of the best song ever in Hindi cinema!! Can anybody sing like Rafi, the most gifted singer!! What a song!! Excellent picturization and acting by Dev Anand & Waheeda!! Kudos to director Vijay Anand.
    - Excellent pathos song again by Rafi saab, eyes are wet after listening/watching this song!! Very meaningful song. One phrase says "You are so much nearer to my heart, Yet how far you are! ... Lyrics by the great Shailendra, hats off!!
    - Again excellent pathos song by Rafi saab!! What to say about this song, no words!!
    - Spiritual Bhajan towards the end of the film and the climax!! What a perfect finish to this perfect film!!

Enjoy the classic!!
    One of the, if not the, best ever Hindi Albums/Soundtracks.

What a bunch of songs

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    SD sir !

Senior Member Veteran Hubber suvai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Penguin.....thank u for posting such classics....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunil_M88
    SD sir !
    Thanks Sunil for reminding me this classic song from SDB saab. The guitar prelude and the orchestration in this song that too in the year 1952, shows how SDB is way ahead of his time. Again Excellent singing by Hemant da.
    Dev Anand looks cute and Geeta Bali's acting makes me smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Anarkali - A Masterpice by C Ramchandra.

One of the revered composer in Indian cinema. Anarkali is one of his masterpiece. And it's Lata all the way, no other female singer. It shows how much faith the composer had in Lata. Some of my favorite songs in this film.

Mohabbat Aisi Dhadkan Hai - Lata Mangeshkar
    (soulful composition)
    Yeh Zindagi Usi Ki Hai - Lata Mangeshkar (Salute to composer, what a melody and what a singing!)

Jag Dard E Ishq Jag - Hemant Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar (one of the best duets of all time)
    (I think VR has taken this tune for Mayakkum Maalai for Kulebaghavali)
    Zindagi Pyar Ki Do Char Gadi - Hemant Kumar (excellent singing by Hemant da)

Mujhse Mat Pooch - Lata Mangeshkar

Aaja Ab to Aaja - Lata Mangeshkar

Many thanks to All India Radio and Doordharshan for introducing me such classics to me. Especially the 'Rangoli' program on Doordharshan on Sundays (I think at 7.30 am). I still remember those days, when my sister use to wake me up, to not miss this program. Thanks to her.
    I got introduced to so many hindi songs only through Doordharshan and AIR. I will be hearing to AIR mostly during nights with my father.
    Gone are those golden days. Nowadays we rarely hear such type of melodies in new films.

Post Thanks / Like
    Babul Mora Naihar Chhooto tradition (Raag Bhairavi)
    A memorable song usually sung at the wedding when their daughter/sister leaves home after marriage.

The first version sung by the first and the greatest filmi singer of all time K L Saigal saab. Saigal saab did not have any formal classical eduction, but still his singing and voice emotes to the maximum depth possible!
    K L Saigal (from film Street Singer 1938)

This version is more interesting as Joshi saab takes classical route, rather filmi route, and brings the essence of bhairavi raag.
    Pt. Bhimsen Joshi

One of the best comment from this link:
    Bhimshen ji, you are the Einstein of Music! Mankind owes you a royalty just because you existed.

This is a ghazal version of the same song sung by ghazal kind Jagjit Singh ji and Chitra Singh ji for the film again.
    Jagjit Singh & Chitra Singh (1973 for film Aaviskar MD: Kanu roy)

This version is live, Jagjitji showcasing his talent, with able support from Tabla. What a combination and singing!
    Jagjit Singh - Live

In this version, Nerukar Ji is paying tribute to Saigal saab. Surprise package, as she is confidently delivering Saigal's song with great ease! Hats off!
    (second song from 3:58)

So which one do you like?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manna Dey & Lata - Aaja Sanam Madhur Chandni - Chori Chori [1956] - . What a classic