Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Gautham Menon work with IR?

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    raja_fan:
    Somebody might say Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

anyways: we surely dont want to consider Vintage IR all the time, or old time glories, what is in effect is the belief that IR can still produce astounding music (ex Azhagi). So if GM and IR work together, there is always something special we can expect, it may not be a path breaker songs like IR-MR's movies.

It will be a typical IR mastery over the BGM that will in itself proove effective.

when people talk about boredom, i just try to ignore them or not agree to anybody, please dont compare any MD with IR again, he has done so many plethora of movies of the same subject, design and everything, now if IR says he does not have enough material and bored, I will agree, all others dont have a right to complain.

GM-IR will have a right combo, BGM will be surely effective (but will they work together, i doubt, probably Myskin might).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Vysar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raja_fan
    Yes, life goes on ! but creations which came straight from the heart stay always ! Like the Taj Mahal and Madurai temple and IR's music. Thing of beauty is joy for ever !!
    Your point is hypothetically true. There are people who still listen to Viswanathan&Ramamoorthy, early 70s MSV etc. So you fall under IR sect and IRs music is Taj Mahal. For me it falls under eye of the beholder category. Eventhough I grew up during IR time and feel his 80s music is great still I consider MSV -TKR is in par. IR should concentrate on his strengths TIS kind of projects, Devotional songs and BGM in what he is still good at. For his own experimentation sake he should not risk a directors career or fans money. Bala seems to be an exception on giving hits with IR not because of the music but his directing skills. Whenever IR was booked with high profile directors we expect the best and then an eventual let down during music release. If any one hire him it might be for BGM skills alone where he does some justice. His golden days are gone forever.
    Sandokan=Maruthanayagam

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    MADDY
    I think what Raja_Fan was trying to tell is the only hope now who could do this feat in 2022 will be ARR. There are not that many people here who would survive the next 10 years leave alone 30 years.

I agree with you, ARR might not be wanted in 2010 in TFM owing to his price tag and his committments in Bollywood and Hollywood.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsLife
    MADDY
    I think what Raja_Fan was trying to tell is the only hope now who could do this feat in 2022 will be ARR. There are not that many people here who would survive the next 10 years leave alone 30 years.

I agree with you, ARR might not be wanted in 2010 in TFM owing to his price tag and his committments in Bollywood and Hollywood.
    yes maybe, but MIL, i feel the criteria for comparing these 2 totally-opposite ppl. should also be different.......

Shankar, the media is known for its hype.....Mozart of Madras is just a hyped up name for ARR......i know he was not called Mozart for his WCM or something but westerners felt he was a great musician from east and that;s it......so watever is gr8 for them in Music is Mozart......

kiru, agreed Birmingham was a fiasco for ARR, but i never saw ARR telling that pop is the last resort for genres in Music....he is a innovator and he likes to change his style always.....infact he is into north indian folk/vintage SDB style a lot nowadays which is again so different from IR's style......that's y i worship ARR........he has the ability to think differently from IR and succeed in that........

and reg the topic - Gautam really needs to work with IR......IR's BGM wud have lifted V V and K K to a different level.......maybe he can keep HJ for songs and IR for BGM......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shankar
    >>>>
    Mozart of Madras
    <<<<

Call him anything...but why Mozart or for that matter any WCM Gods like debussy, brahms or Palestrina ?!?!?! He has a long way to go when it comes to handling WClassical style compositions...I liked the arrangement of lagaan theme, but to my dismay I read it was arranged and conducted by Guitar Prasanna :- (
    Oh! The Jealous clown is back again. ithellam theva thaana ARR'kku-WCM degree vangunavarache!. Its String orchestra arranged/Conducted by Guitar Prasanna.. Ok, What was Ir's contribution in this ?MX-Theme Music <fulla pannadhe GP thaana>..

Have you heard Bombay Theme? Shud I list some more ARR' WC compositions KabiNaKabi - Bolo Kohn Ha, HHIPY, MWCTrue? The problem is he has to fusion for movie/ignorant listeners constraints

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well whatever the thing...i still feel that calling ARR mozart is too far fetched. Mozart's orchestration standards is way way high over ARR. But i guess its just a title to hail ARR by his fans and musiclovers rather than really calling him mozart.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As for Shankar's statement, composers just compose the notes,octaves scales etc and write out the parts to be played. Arranging or orchestration is already in the notes. The actual music is played by the technicians.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maddy,
    I dont know whether Birmingham was a fiasco. I am talking about the 'focus' / 'direction'. ARR did characterize his own music as world/pop,. This is a pretty accurate statement (afterall he knows what he is doing). World music is about presenting ethnic music in a westernised shell. Pioneer in this field is Peter Gabriel, whose studio promoted NFAK in the west. There are references to PG's music in ARR's music (anbe anbe kollodhE song) confirming ARR was studying/following this genre.
    ARR's strength is his tune-making skills and taste for stylish rhythms/grooves. Tune-building is a linear arrangements of notes. WCM (or just the strings alone) is more about parallel arrangement of notes. This is the reason ARR does not want to bother with, and so subcontracts, I think.
    I think the London marketing folks came up with the Mozart title, because ARR indeed a composer and Mozart is known for his melody/tune (unlike Bach who is known for his almost mathematically complex compositions).
    BTW, composers write notes for the bass, treble. It is the arranger (done by the conductor) who assigns the parts to various instruments/groups of instruments.
    For eg. when we say somebody arranged the strings for ARR. ARR would give the tune/melody for the strings, the arranger would split the parts to be played the violin, viola, cellos etc. He may have to come up with some extra notes to play harmony to the main melody.

Re: ARR and north indian folk etc. I think it will take me a lot of effort to explain how IR's music is different from ARR's but it is suffice to say IR has created some of the most creative body of music. It may not sound different from album to album like ARR's music, but IR has contributed a good set of original music techniques.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber thamizhvaanan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster
    Well whatever the thing...i still feel that calling ARR mozart is too far fetched. Mozart's orchestration standards is way way high over ARR. But i guess its just a title to hail ARR by his fans and musiclovers rather than really calling him mozart.
    I think the title mozart doesnt refer to the type of music that ARR creates, but rather the westerners see ARR as what mozart was to WCM.
    A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber thamizhvaanan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tune-building is a linear arrangements of notes. WCM (or just the strings alone) is more about parallel arrangement of notes. This is the reason ARR does not want to bother with, and so subcontracts, I think.
    a) It is totally unfair to say that ARR is uncomfortable with creating parallel melodies. He has done some truly complex compositions in his career, but may be not as consistently as IR.

b) WCM is not the end of the world. There is more to music than a multitude of instruments howling a tune at a go. IMO, We always look up at WCM but consider our carnatic music ( which stresses more upon solos ) to be inferior in creativity and complexity. It is a sad thing. In one of GP's interview, he has elaborated on how indian music is magnificient in its own rights.

c) To say IR was the last of creative composers. To me, IR became stale after a point of time. His usage of instruments became VERY repetitive, sometimes predictable. When I advocate IR to some of my friends they ask back "how can u ever listen to IR? its all the same old stuff, boring tablas and violins" I know that they are wrong, but they are not completely wrong either. While IR's recent music doesnt excites me as well as his previous gems, ARR continues to fascinate me with every album.

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast