Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Gautham Menon work with IR?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I am not talking about emulating anybody !
    I am talking about being wanted and respected after so many years and odds !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RS,
    I would love to see GM working with Raja for a rather serious movie involving human relations (i firmly believe this guy will beat the master of human relations - mani ratnam in his own game). An effort like pallavi-anupallavi/mouna ragam directed by GM scored by Raja would be interesting.

All said, I dont think he will work with Raja.
    shankar posts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    ....ARR wouldnt like to emulate IR in anyway, i believe......
    I am not so sure. Initially, ARR mentioned he follows or does world/pop music. He even has somebody 'arrange' the strings for his songs. He mentioned what is the point in using so many instruments when you cannot get the emotions right. Agreed. Then all of sudden, I see him conducting the Birmingham orchestra. So does ARR feel, world/pop music can only go so much ? Maybe, he thinks he has to do WCM because already call him, Mozart of Madras ?
    ARR and IR dealt with their predecessors in totally different way. For IR, vis-a-vis MSV, it was very clear. He had to 'embrace and extend' the paradigm set forth by MSV (and the reason IR calls him a genius or guru). For ARR, vis-a-vis IR, it is 'change and oppose' . But this stance is what I feel is watering down and changing. The fact is in both these cases, however different the approach is, both IR and ARR have been able to successfully dethrone their predecessor from the commercial top spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    >>>>
    Mozart of Madras
    <<<<

Call him anything...but why Mozart or for that matter any WCM Gods like debussy, brahms or Palestrina ?!?!?! He has a long way to go when it comes to handling WClassical style compositions...I liked the arrangement of lagaan theme, but to my dismay I read it was arranged and conducted by Guitar Prasanna
    shankar posts...

Administrator Diamond Hubber RR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    (Reposting Jaiganesh's post from TiS thread)

Quote Originally Posted by jaiganesh
    Maddy wrote:
    The fact is in both these cases, however different the approach is, both IR and ARR have been able to successfully dethrone their predecessor from the commercial top spot.
    Commercial hotspot is a silly thing. If one "manmatharasa" can dethrone any number of quality songs in a count down, thats how comm.hotspot works for you. I firmly believe lovers of IR's music or ARR's music never bothered about the commercial hotspot. Both were original and path breaking in their ways. IR used folk as the differentiator in his early days while Rahman used POP. However IR became broad based later on and experimented with all forms of music. Now Rahman is doing the same. However what Rahman lacks is the kind of support from film directors to give him chance to deal with a variety. Whereas IR was blessed in that aspect. He worked with K.Vishwanath in Telugu, who gave heavy Carnatic based subjects for IR. Rahman til date has to get a full carnatic project or full hindusthani project. However with Rahman's price tag any serious director with a traditional theme would walk straight to IR or to a carnatic genius like Lalgudi Jayaraman.
    Inspite of this, Rahman is slowly throwing away the pop toys and is meddling into serious music. Listened to "Munbe Vaa" from SOK and was stunned to listen to IR style chorus singing "rangoli". Ultimately I would like ARR to go back to the "Spirit of Unity" of music days and comeout with an album like "How to Name it?", ofcourse with great recording technology, he can do it really well. Even if ARR's fans think that he has dethroned IR , that is not an achievment by any means. He has to take the musical trend set by IR (Unity in forms of music) to the next level. If it means that he has to collaborate with IR, so be it. If we carefully consider the evolution of film music in Thamizh, always the focus has been on innovation without affecting the melody. Now we are at a crossroads where innovation, new sounds, global sounds and technologies are drowning out our native voice and adding to the noise level, it seriously requires both these legends coming together to our rescue.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber kamalsurya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123
    then why doesnt he sign IR for his movies ???
    Whether we accept it or not the industry has lost faith in the commercial/Saleable aspect of IR Many of the upcoming directors want IR do thier films but the Producers and distributors force them to go for some one new or a current hit composer like YSR, HJ, BW, VS etc., These composers are ready to bend to any proportions in giving hit songs. they copy use loops and try incorporating some new sounds and all to make it sound catchy and rhythmic for the audience.
    Incidentally the directors choose these MD's neglecting Raaja.
    If you happen to read Cheran's Autobiography that came in Vikatan. he had said that he would go from producer to producer describing stories. And at one point when he was explaining a story to Sarathkumar " Sir neenga beachla irukeenga anga Radhiga madam varaanga.... neenga rendum perum sandhikum bodhu ungalukkulla solla mudiyatha oru unarvu varutha.....thayangi nikreenga meedhiyaellam Raaja sir BGMla paathupaar" That is kind of admiration Driectors have towards Raaja.
    But incidentally when he wanted Raaja for his first movie 'barathi kannama' the producer said he cant afford to pay raaja and booked Deva And he had to go on with the industry standards
    Iam not exagerating anything this is from his own biography.
    Even director mysskin's first movie is by some one else now he have say and is going for Raaja for his next movie. Similarly Gautham may come up with a script someday when he will be compelled to the extent that only Raaja can do justice to that script and he will sure come to him. till then he will be a fan of raaja while using HJ commercially :P
    But till now Bala sticks only with IR

Post Thanks / Like
    IR does not need a gautham menon or maniratnam to prove himself. Annakili did not have any of the famous faces and IR arrived like a King..

Post Thanks / Like
    Still I feel that Raaja could give some new tunes in every film, whereas others are failing in this aspect.

In one interview, S J Surya like ilayaraaja & "en iniya pon nilavae" song, but still he is not using him.

Once in Interview, director Mahendran said, Mullum Malarum producer saw the film b4 re-recording & said to mahendran, "poochu.... en panamellam poochu..... ennaiyyaa padam idhu, vasaname illaame, oomai padamaatta irukku".
    Also, earlier producer insisted not to make rajini as a hero as at that time he is a villain.
    But mahendran thought that ilayaraaja will talk using his instruments. Also that is happened & film is a super dooper hit.

Thats Raaja.

If u need ur good film to get a long standing, use ILaiyaraaja. One of the eg., Mudhal mariyaadhai. Or else leave it.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Vysar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do we have anything new to talk about other than vintage stuff of IR? Gautham Menon and SJ Surya are smart cookies. They would rather use Harris or Deva because they know the trade and current taste of fans. Fans didn't listen to Thyagaraja Bhagavathar in 60s, and MSV in later 70s and 80s and IR in the 90s. Now AR Rahman facing his own now. Life goes on. If IR comes to reality and accepts that he has to do music for the people's satisfaction rather than his own no one other than Mishkin and Bala would hire him. Something changed in IR after 1993 where he was eclipsed fair and square by a young MD with a unique style. IRs ego still couldn't accept the defeat in turn he turned against his faithful fans. Whatever he talks about current music noisy is sour graping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr.Vyasar,

"Life goes on. If IR comes to reality and accepts that he has to do music for the people's satisfaction rather than his own no one other than Mishkin and Bala would hire him"

It is enough for us( IR fans ) if he works with only a set of directors.
    What do you mean by people's satisfaction ?
    Are you blind to the fact that people are going in search of Raja's old eighties songs and recording them in CDs ( when songs just 3 months old are forgotten these days ) ?

Yes, life goes on ! but creations which came straight from the heart stay always ! Like the Taj Mahal and Madurai temple and IR's music. Thing of beauty is joy for ever !!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast