Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban women at the temple of Sabarimala?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nakkeran: The answer to that might lie with the Dharmasastha temple in Achankovil. Any keralites here might be able to give better answers. All I know is in Achankovil, Ayyapan is worshipped in the married form with Poorna and Pushkala.

But it is highly probable that because Ayyapan is in a Brahmachari Yogi aspect in Sabarimala, ladies are restricted from going there. They are free to go all other Ayyapan temples!

And as Braandan had said, all this hullabaloo is only because of Sabarimala's popularity. If it were otherwise, who will bother with it?
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badri
    Nakkeran: The answer to that might lie with the Dharmasastha temple in Achankovil. Any keralites here might be able to give better answers. All I know is in Achankovil, Ayyapan is worshipped in the married form with Poorna and Pushkala.
    Thanks Mr. Badri .

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    poorna and pushkala are wives of "Dharma Sastha". Ayyappan is an avatar of Dharma Sastha. In this avatar he is a brahmachari.

Let the men get some peace for a few days at Sabarimala, why disturb their peace by introducing women there also..

This is like fighting for the rights of clothed people to enter a nudist colony..why then a nudist colony if everyone can come there dressed?

Senior Member Senior Hubber kannannn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pardon my ignorance, but who is Dharma Sastha? Does he have any other avatar?
    "Why do we need filmmaking equipment?"
    "Because, Marcel, my sweet, we're going to make a film. Just for the Nazis."

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braandan
    Let the men get some peace for a few days at Sabarimala, why disturb their peace by introducing women there also..

This is like fighting for the rights of clothed people to enter a nudist colony..why then a nudist colony if everyone can come there dressed?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe what Badri said is true to my knowledge ...

Normally ppl who has not gone through a rigid 41 or 45 days penance are not supposed to visit the temple ..... to have the darshan of the lord !

I ve heard small children who have not attained puberty can be taken to the temple.... though am not sure whether it is the same case with ladies who had their menopause !
    But only those two sects can follow this rigorous and systamatic plan !
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bingleguy
    Normally ppl who has not gone through a rigid 41 or 45 days penance are not supposed to visit the temple ..... to have the darshan of the lord !!
    That shud not b the reason. I c many devotees not doin all those things. They just take 4 or 5 days penance.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all due respect to all who have responded to this thread:

I am a Roman Catholic Syrian Christian born and brought up in Kerala.Many devotees come to our house to get water and other stuff though they don't enter our house,on the way to Sabarimala.

Faith is always blind.There can not be anything scientifically proven when it comes to faith.Then traditions are traditions and when we do away with them[unless they are so discriminatory],thre core of that faith gets damaged.

Muslim women are not allowed in almost all Mosques.Christiuans do not allow women to be priests generally.I have never heard of a female incarnation of Budha.

We all live in a male dominated society.If women should be allowed in Sabarimala,there should be female priests in the Catholic church,there should be female mullahs in the Mosques,Polygamy should be accepted as a barbarian thing in Muslim families,and a Dalailama should be voted to pwer and so should be the Pope.

If you can't make sure of any of these things ,shut up!
    "It was the inaction of those who could have acted,the indifference of those who should have known better,the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered the most, that made it possible for evil to triumph"-[Hailey Gabricelassie]

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sgokulprathap
    Normally ppl who has not gone through a rigid 41 or 45 days penance are not supposed to visit the temple ..... to have the darshan of the lord !!
    That shud not b the reason. I c many devotees not doin all those things. They just take 4 or 5 days penance.
    SHOULD not be the reason nnu solli enna prayojanam ... actually many do not follow these days ...... avvalavudhaan !
    you cant find out who has been like that and who hasnt Only With due respects u ll get to see the Lord !

right ?
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sgokulprathap
    Gokul

Now a days crores & crores are visiting the shrine & issuing such a generalised statement like urs only degrades the sincerety shown by others
    What u might have seen is a tiny drop in an ocean

As regards the 41 day viratham, there is a school of thought which says that this imbibes lots of self discipline like :

1. Vegetarianism
    2. No contact with women ( purity )
    3. Mind focussed ( most chant songs & bhajans on the lord )
    4. Feeling of brotherhood ( this u can witness between any fellow Iyappa worshipper during the fasting period )
    5. Makes u feel humble ( whether the guy is the owner of a big organisation or a down the line staff , its all the same )

Women , who had crossed the menstruation cycle have been regularly visiting the shrine of late.
    & as Bingleguy pointed out, children who had not attained puberty, also are worshipping the Lord

Its for those who go through that cycle are requested to avoid visiting the place

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast