Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban women at the temple of Sabarimala?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Ban women at the temple of Sabarimala?

The s c issued a notice to the kerala govt, on a petition challenging the provision by which the entry of women is barred at the temple of Sabarimala

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    padmanabha
    J/K

Does that means you have opened 44 thread

Instead you can have one thread, Padmanabha speaks .

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    anaconda... better you bite !

Post Thanks / Like

jealous to the core!!!!!!!!!!!11??????????

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: REPLY

Quote Originally Posted by padmanabha
    jealous to the core!!!!!!!!!!!11??????????
    Jealous of what

Quote Originally Posted by madhu
    anaconda... better you bite !

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Braandan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sabarimala is just an ordinary temple is some corner of some village (there are so many such temples around India, where those cannot even afford a daily lamp to be lit), all these scams would not have surfaced. After Tirupathi it is highest income earning temple in India. Where there is money every one wants to grab it.. Greedy criminals!

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know much..but i guess the most logical reasons i can think of why women are not allowed to enter Sabarimala would be :
    Divert the attention of the male devotees..
    But they have a 40 day rigid ritual followed at home in the constant company of their wives/women around their neighbourhood or office, were they not tempted then?

Menstrual cycles for women

The journey is too much for women..duhh !!!

I dont know...correct me if I am wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with u malsi , i hope those are the reasons for not allowing women at sabarimalai, otherwise its not fair . God is one for all. He is not going to show the difference between men and women. He takes prayers of devotees irrespective of men or women. I dont believe in this kind of arrangements. Let me know if iam not right!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm...the real reason being cited is that Ayyapa had mandated a 41-day penance before coming to his shrine. Obviously, only women who have crossed menopause or have not come into puberty can rigourously follow this regimen. The rest cannot.

I found this article on the web.

One of the main reasons cited to justify this traditional stand is the duration of period of penance. Tradition insists on 41-day severe penance before undertaking the pilgrimage.The fact that it is womanly impossible to stick on to a strict routine laid down against a conservative Hindu background, especially the stigma attached to menstruation, is cited as one reason for restricting women's entry.

Presiding priest of Sabarimala Tantri Kandararu Rajeevararu points out the exact reason: ``Millions of devotees throng Sabarimala during the pilgrimage. And presence of women among them can lead to law and order problems as not everybody, however ardent devotee he is, need not behave decently with women.''The concept about Ayyappa as installed at Sabarimala is that of a brahmachari in penance. The lore also says that he has vowed to remain a bachelor. People cite these reasons also to justify the ban on women's entry.

AYYAPPA AND ILAYATHAMPURATTY KALLU:
    The Ilayathampuratty Kallu, a small stone statue hidden by time in a niche on a wayside rock, has nothing significant to catch the attention of devotees streaming to Pamba on the Laha Road. For, not many realise that this statue believed to be that of a princess of the Pandalam Palace stands as a warning post to women against undertaking a pilgrimage to Sabarimala.The story goes that a young princess of the Pandalam family insisted on accompanying the King on the first pilgrimage to Sabarimala even as other female members of the family stopped their journey at Kakkad, near Laha.However, the princes couldn't continue her journey from Laha due to unexpected menstrual problems. She informed the King about it and said she would wait for them in the hut of a Kani tribal. (According to Hindu beliefs, women shouldn't take part in any religious functions during menstruation.)And on his return the King was shocked to see that the princess had turned into a granite statue. The incident reminded him of Ayyappa's words that none without a 41-day penance should visit the hill shrine.
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Badri & others

On Ayyappan being portrayed as a Bramachari :

Poorna & Pushkalambal - are these 2 women supposed to be wives of Ayyappan ?

I have heard one sloka going like this :

Poorna pushkalambal samedha Sri Hari Hara puthran

Can someone enlighten me on this pls ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast