Thread: Memoirs of a geisha

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Memoirs of a geisha

Hi all,

I read memoirs of geisha some time ago. One thing I found intresting about the book was that I learned something about the japanese culture. Cant say if a lot of it applies to the modern world, but I wanted to see if any of you could recommend similar books. Books that provide an insight into a different culture. I cant read "serious" stuff so a fictional book would be nice.

Thank You.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Orient Culture too and have read Memoirs of a geisha.

Other books that you may enjoy are:

The Good Earth- Pearl S Buck
    Letter from Peking - Pearl S Buck

Falling leaves return to their roots- Adeline Mah Yen

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wanted to start a thead on this book after i read it .. but then .. i jus wrote in " latest reads" and left. . .book is too good ..

A SYNOPSIS OF THE STORY ..
    i read the book ..just after my 12th boards .... so i too was recollecting the "school life" phase that had just concluded in my life.. Speaking of recollections .. this book is perfectly written..
    Arthur Golden has recollected the memoirs of a Japanese Geisha. .in the most chronological manner.

An interesting tale portraying the life of a geisha, a life that is atypical, complicated and satiated with formalism. Golden completes seduces the reader with his meticulous and graceful description of a geisha’s life. Aptly titled as “memoirs of a geisha”, this book gives the reader the feeling of having spent hours or days with the most gifted geisha of Japan. The book begins with
    “Chiyo” a young and poor child who is mercilessly separated from her family. It describes a child’s perception of deception, perplexity and separation. Then, the cruelty she undergoes whilst toiling to become a geisha and finally the beautiful, elegant and detailed description of the making of the classic heroine, the Kyoto geisha, Sayuri. Today, fiction rarely comes as archetypal as this novel.

it's a bit controversial.. my cousin read it and disapproved it's subject matter..
    she's feels..there is no difference between a geisha and a prostitute. .... however in the book .. golden points out the difference between a geisha and slut in the japanese society..
    however in our country . if a woman dances, or basically performs in front of men ... to make a living.. she's a slut. but in their society .. geishas are dancers ..in face they hold a great place of respect in the society ..
    like mameha in the novel ..

my opinion
    My opinion is that. The novel has been narrated is a distinct style. I always thought authors write in their own distinct styles which are influenced by their vicinity and lifestyle but Golden through his novel has proved me wrong. He has shown a feat of cross cultural masquerade. I still can’t believe it that a non-Japanese and that too, a male writer who has produced such an intricate novel.

It is just a story. One doesn’t have to approve it’s contents. Certainly even I never considered the “Geisha” life much dissimilar to that of a prostitute. Yet after reading this immensely believable book, I suppose there is a wee difference. However, this view is from an Indian eye. It may be different to people of other nations. We just can’t set aside this novel on grounds of such petite controversies. This book , for all intents and purposes, doesn’t try to convince the reader to show any difference. It just describes the life of a geisha. I feel any Indian or anyone for that matter, who bets to differ from my opinion, should still keep this book back their shelves. Arthur Golden does deserve an applause.

cheers
    chevy

Post Thanks / Like
    no body else has read it ?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sinthiya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    how would you compare the movie to the book?

i haven't read the book.... ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinthiya
    how would you compare the movie to the book?

i haven't read the book.... ....
    i havnt seen the movie. . .BUT I dun't think any movie matches the original book.

the book is anyday ,..more entertaining .. .

but this is subjective... people may hav differnt views. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting info.
    Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read this book a year ago and that was a fantastic book which just gives us a view on japanese culture a few decades ago..! the narration was awesome and perfect.
    After reading the book I watched the movie and it was okay. It is so hard to bring the same feeling one gets when reading the book into the screen and hence I feel the movie was good!
    - Ponniyin Selvan