Thread: t v gopalakrishanan vocalist cum mrudangist

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

t v gopalakrishanan vocalist cum mrudangist

“Will you play mrudangam for me?” asked the legendary Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar to the eight old boy. The boy replied, “Only if I can follow you.” “Any body can understand my music” the maestro replied. The child’s father took it casually but Chembai was serious. The lad accompanied the musician, who was much impressed. The boy-pursued music, could accompany his master for four decades. Many awards and accolades reached him, the latest being the Swati Puaraskaram. Meet, Tripunithura Viswanathan Gopalakrishanan popularly known as TVG the renowned vocalist cum mrudangam artiste.

“My father and fore fathers were court musicians. My uncle Narayanaswamy was an excellent percussionist. I was brought up in an atmosphere saturated with pure classical music. My parents would say that I started singing before I could talk. That could be an exaggeration. Coimbatore Raghava Iyer, Mahavaidyanatha Iyer, Chakkrathanam Subba Iyer and Palakkad Anantharama Bhagavathar were my teachers. The long association with Chembai molded into a perfect musician. I am his premier disciple,” said TVG.
    “After graduation, I joined AG’s office. Nevertheless, I continued learning music. Besides, mrudangam I learnt violin, and veena. The connoisseurs of music soon accepted me and I resigned my job,” he said.
    TVG is the first musician to perform both Hindustani and Carnatic music. He introduced Carnatic Jazz, harnessing western instruments. His duets with and jugalbandis with Ustad Allah Rakka, Pt. Ravisankar, Pierre Favre, George Harrisons of Beatles fame John Handy took the music world by storm.

You have been performing both the systems of music since 1969. Who initiated you into the Hindustani music and What is the secret of success?

Pandit Krishananth of Kirana Gharana taught me Hindustani music. He was a close associate of my father. They often share their knowledge in their respective systems of music. Thus, at a very early stage I could learn both the systems of music. Absolute discipline and concentration are required to perform both.
    You have introduced many numbers of young artistes. How do you feel?
    In a musician’s carrier, the role of the teacher is very critical. I have received enough encouragement and blessing from my tutors and I am passing the same to my pupils. My disciples include Ilayaraja, A R Rehman, Bupindre Singh, Sivamani, Kadari Gopalanath, Rajkumar Bharathi, Siegfried Kutterer,
    Andre Fertier, Carole Grey, Herbert Lang, and the list is endless. The more I teach, the more I improve. In my debut jazz performance, I was accompanied by A R Rehman, Kadari, and Sivamani.

TVG is actively involved in the resurrection of old musical forms and in preserving archival music. He established Academy of Indian music and Arts, in 1986 to identify child prodigies. He designs veena, mrudangam and thampura with advanced technologies and inputs from other nations.
    “I diligently follow the tenets of Nadayoga, and want to pursue music until my last breath,” he said. Perhaps this is what keeps him energetic, enterprising, and capable of enthralling the listeners, all over the world over six decades. (495 words)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info...thanks.
    Liberty is my religion. Liberty of hand and brain -- of thought and labor. Liberty is the blossom and fruit of justice -- the perfume of mercy. Liberty is the seed and soil, the air and light, the dew and rain of progress, love and joy.