Thread: SAJU THURUTHIL MURAL ARTIST

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

SAJU THURUTHIL MURAL ARTIST

For Wordsworth, the daffodils that stretched in never ending line flashed upon his inward eye in times of pensive mood which according to him is bliss of solitude. But for the mural artist Saju Thuruthil, manja kolambi, always evoked nostalgia. The very thought of it fills his heart with pleasure and being an artist he poured out his passion for those yellow flowers on canvas.

“Chayamukhi” is yet another series of paintings by Saju. He successfully portrayed women, in the past one hundred years in general ambience. One such work in this series bagged this years State Lalith Kala Academy Award. All his works indicate an intensive love of life, joyous vision, inspiring youthfulness, and sublime beauty. Maintaining the tradition he experiments with new themes. Saju Thuruthil was in the city recently and in an interview he talks about mural painting of Kerala, his works and experiments.

Murals of Kerala are remarkable. The ambience is always one of sanctity. The figures, in a wide variety of postures and gestures throb with exalted life. They convey more than the art of painting and bear eloquent testimony to the creative power of man and his aesthetic grandeur.

“These works always fascinated me and after Diploma in painting from Technical Education Department, I took my National Diploma in Mural Painting and under went five years intensive gurukulam training under the doyen of Mural Art, Mammiyoor Krishanan Nair” said Saju who is working as a lecturer in Department of Mural Painting at Sree Sankara University of Sanskrit Kalady.

Saju is adept in the restoration of murals. “Sakundalam the largest Mural of Kerala, at the Madhavan Nair Foundation was renovated by me besides the restoration of 32 oil paintings of Sankaracahritham for SSUS, Kalady. But my first renovation work was with my Guru Mammiyur Krishanan Nair at Sree Padmanabha Temple. During one such project I discovered the two inner layers of Murals believed to be done in between the 13th and 16th century at Pazhoor Temple. Another restoration work was that of Anandasayanam [14th century] executed at Srivillipothur Temple” explained Saju about his attempts in restoration of murals.

“Kiliyum and Njanum” is a series of 40 paintings. I began the work with a lady, in communion with a kili. Gradually the number of kilis merrily fluttering round the damsel increased to 40. Later similar works in charcoal were essayed. Chayamukhi is the latest theme. It is the portrayal of Malayali women in the last century. My depiction of a Muslim girl in her traditional costume in this series won this years Academy Award” informed Saju

“Ee Manjakolambi” is the reminiscence of my childhood days at my ancestral house in Cherayi. Portrayal of my Yakshi never chills the blood. She is sweet and charming. People preferred to adorn Yakshi in their houses, which normally they don’t. Verukal is yet another series focusing on the ritualistic practices of Kerala. I essayed Kaadu, a copper mural [27ft x18ft] which is yet another innovation.

Panjajanyam at Kalady is his residence cum gallery. Saju has conducted many exhibitions. Awards and accolades came naturally and his works adorn many institutions and forms part of private collections in India and abroad.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou padmanabha Sir for this interesting piece of info- I for one, am always interested in artists & their art forms!