Page 61 of 237 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick of the week: 1 Mar to 5 Aug 2006

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    `thAyum nAnE, thanga iLamAnE' is a sweet SJ song from EKK...however, the tune is not original...(lift from a Vedanayaka Shastri written church song, again based on some other carnatic original, that goes like `dEvanE nAn umadhaNdaiyil...')

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber Naaz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nee Paadum Paadal Ethu?

Ramki -

Had completely forgotten this solo! Thanks for bringing it back as POTW. SJ had other such semi-classical moments with IRs compositions: Azhagu Malar Aada, Sangeethame En Jeevane, Isai Paadu Nee Ilanthendrale...and my cherished solo by her in this vein is En Raagangal Indru Ellaam Thaalangale, from Mudhal Iravu.

Some obscura: When I asked SPM why a completely out-of-place song like Aathora Kaaththaada was part of the film (gramaththu Liril?), his response was: "B & C centres-la ippadi oru paattu illainaa, distributor padaththai thoda maattaanga!" That should explain why Payum Puli followed EKK!

About the film: In your face misogyny. I won't say more!

Neel D -

That was a thoughtful bit of linguistic reasoning. I am richer for it!
    When I get into transliteration around here, I always have a problem with the "dha" and "tha" bits. Is it Mundhaanai or Munthaanai? Podhu or Pothu? Or can they be used interchangeably?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too agree with S.Balaji. Mere luck cannot hold a place for a person in any field. When we take Sivaji, MGR, Rajini, Kamal, each has his own talents.
    Sivaji is a wonderful actor and he was also lucky to act in good films by Bhimsingh.
    Kamal is a good actor who wants to explore new things - there are many films to his credit like mahanadhi, anbesivam. Sometimes he goes overboard and tries abstract theme which cannot be understood and appreciated by everyone - thats his limitation.
    Rajini is definitely a good actor with appreciable style. When he involves in the making of the movie it comes nicely. When others tried to use his fame, it failed sometimes.
    MGR is talented in making enjoyable movies, though his capacity as an actor is limited.
    When an actor doesn't get involved in making of the movie then alone he can be called lucky - we can take mike mohan as an example. Before we could realize his acting talent (i realized that only in mouna ragam) , he gave many successful movies. He was lucky to get such projects and IRs good music.
    Again all IMHO.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    SV,

I thought even Mike Mohan was tolerable as had done reasonably well in Mouna ragam and Idaya koil ... though IR played a larger part and Kovaithambi ...
    Even his expressions to a song were somewhat realistic as he was trying his best.

Probably Ramarajan with his lipsticks and colourful dresses would have been the most appropriate person for the word LUCKY.

Post Thanks / Like
    Being fortunate to be even considered to perform - all the `vArisu' actors / actresses belong to this category, IMO...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    Being fortunate to be even considered to perform - all the `vArisu' actors / actresses belong to this category, IMO...
    App...

There are exceptions in my opinion..

1. Prabhu
    2. Karthik
    3. Vijay

These guys have been quite successful and had a lengthy career.
    In my opinion,,, somebody who has the staying power .. cannot be lucky guy... unless he had some stuff....
    Though VIjay initially needed SAC's support through his movies ... not he has established himself and has a huge fan following and is doing well.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike mohan, lipstick ramarajan nice names...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sv
    Mike mohan, lipstick ramarajan nice names...
    SV,

Actually in one programme ... I think it was for a new year or deepavali... ramarajan appeared as guest in the namadhu virundhinar in Sun tv.

He himself acknowledged that people call him with names like

Pasunesan.... ... lipstick rajan etc etc.

I appreciate him that he tolerates with a sense of tolerance even if somebody calls him by names.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Balaji, it's difficult to stay without talents...

By using the term `fortunate', I meant only their `getting the initial break' without having to do much hard work

That wasn't the case with others like MGR-Sivaji-Kamal-Rajini...

Post Thanks / Like
    App,

MGR appeared in the movie ASHOK KUMAR.... as a kavalaalee ( soldier in front of a Rajaaa !!! I think that was his intial movie.

He was playing mediocre roles for some time before he established himself as THE SUPER STAR OF YESTER YEARS AND AFTER THAT HE NEVER LOOKED BACK.

All those were achieved purely out of hard work.. hard work ... hardwork... Gaining knowledge of the various finer aspects of the film industry... like ..... Fights / music / screen play / story / direction / editing / picturisation etc etc.

MGR and Shivaji were two great pillars of Tamil film industry.....